The end of Albion 2 Loegria?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by poetd, Apr 3, 2019.

1. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    From a cost basis, I'm not sure it makes sense to pay $224 for Loegria strings compared to what you'd get with CSS at $399 unless you prefer the ensemble libraries or want a softer string match to Albion One/1. If you like the other parts of Loegria as well or you prefer to work with a high/low division rather than the individual sections, then Loegria makes more financial sense. I mean, I like Loegria well enough and don't regret having it, but if I didn't have it and I was deciding between it on closeout and CSS, I'd definitely go with CSS on a pure cost basis.

2. Sean

Sean I don't know what I'm talking about

Apr 5, 2019
    Nope I agree with everything you said, CSS makes much more sense and I prefer the individual sections. It doesn't make sense which is why I need to stop listening to Loegria because overall it's not what I need at the moment :)

richardt4520, dzilizzi and jbuhler like this.
  3. Geoff Grace

Geoff Grace Senior Member

Apr 15, 2009
    I think you could probably even say that—while both libraries would be nice to have—CSS is closer to being an "essential" purchase.

Best,

Geoff

whiskers and jbuhler like this.
  4. enyawg

enyawg Member

Aug 28, 2016
    In Loegria Albion II the con sordinos are some of the best in market... I sometimes set up a v1 v2 va vc cb template in AII’s c.sord plus cb with pizza and I'm in heaven in slower emotional pieces. So it’s a recommendation to purchase from me just for strings, Easter hits and euphonium at this deal.

5. Hasici

Hasici New Member

Apr 4, 2019
    I always think of spitfire as an boutique developer, not a bread and butter. Even if they try to do bread and butter they end up filling it with their own stuff. Sometimes I even feel they just make stuff for their own amusement. CSS is definitely the closest to the baseline or definition of an orchestra library.

6. idematoa

idematoa Active Member

01 - Spitfire Audio - Albion 2 - Loegria - String Ensemble
    02 - Native Instruments - Noire Pure

Albion 2.JPG NI - Noire Pure - Particles Engine.JPG

rudi, zouzou and whiskers like this.
  7. zouzou

zouzou New Member

Dec 29, 2013
    OK, CSS strings are splendid, but where are the real con Sordino and the Flautando (truly divine in Albion II)...?

In fact, I think that with regard to the orchestral sounds (especially the strings), our needs and especially our ears are the only judges: everyone aspires to the sound palette that it is useful and that charms his ears... All libraries (and sometimes very economical) make sense...

I have sometimes heard in some comments that the CSS legatos were sometimes difficult to use... Do you have any opinions and experiences on this issue?

Thank you!

whiskers likes this.
  8. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    The flautando are indeed very good in Albion 2, but I prefer those in SCS. I prefer the sound sordino in Albion 2 to those in SCS, though the Albion 2 sordino do not have legato and they are divided only high and low. The low string legato in Albion 2 are also very limited. As good as the strings are in Albion 2, I think even the discounted cost of the close-out sale makes the library relatively expensive if you are assessing it only on the basis of the strings. Of course, the library has much more than just strings, so it is almost certainly cost effective for many on that basis.

whiskers, zouzou and sostenuto like this.
  9. sostenuto

sostenuto Big NKS Fan !

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    Very individual perspective, but … for some with minimal time pressures ….. one can purchase Loegria now with 30% savings ($224.), and await CSS BF purchase. Last was @ $319. (if recall is correct).
    Mentally deducting $80. CSS discount brings 'net' Loegria cost to ~ $184.
    Convoluted thinking ? … o_O

jbuhler likes this.
  10. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    I'll admit that I don't really follow the logic here. Loegria is being offered at 50% savings. It will of course disappear, though I can't imagine some form of the strings at least won't reappear in a future library. I don't see how the price of CSS affects the "net" cost of Loegria. The discounted difference would be $95 if the number for BF is correct, and CSS is a far more robust library, but I think from a value standpoint, CSS even at $399 is still a better "deal" if we are only talking about strings (there are other considerations than value of course). If I remember right, SCS on the apex sale for core was $350. That to me was also a better value than the current offer for Loegria if we are just talking about the strings. Of course, Loegria is not just strings (the Steamband patches, for instance, are some of my favorites from the Albion series).

whiskers likes this.
  11. sostenuto

sostenuto Big NKS Fan !

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    Obviously only applies for those interested in both. Purchase of Loegria now makes sense, and delay CSS for several months ('til next BF promo).

ccarreira and jbuhler like this.
  12. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    If you want both, then I think you get both, and Loegria is a fine, if conceptually somewhat incoherent, library (not necessarily a bad thing). My original comment on value was in response to someone wondering about the relative value of Loegria strings against CSS.

whiskers likes this.
  13. sostenuto

sostenuto Big NKS Fan !

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    Will read back through detailed posts to clarify. Did not pick up clear advice that owning CSS, there is little incremental value with Loegria …. specifically not ~$200. worth.

CSS /CSSS /CS2 is of interest, despite adding Loegria some time ago.
    Unhappy to have passed on last BF promo (not realizing CSS limited discount/promo policy). :crying:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    jbuhler likes this.
  14. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    My point was that a decision between CSS and Loegria with respect to strings falls squarely on the side of CSS in terms of value. There are many reasons to get Loegria, especially at $224. I see few reasons to get Loegria instead of CSS on the basis of its strings, because Loegria, even its strings, is not designed to be that kind of comprehensive string library. Loegria could offer good supplemental support to CSS in terms of its flautando, its sordino, even its half section. But Loegria will not stand as a main string library in the way CSS will. You can't even score a cello tune with Loegria if it goes above middle C. In terms of strings, you get much, much more with CSS than Loegria, but Loegria does have things that CSS does not, so it is not redundant. Is it $224 worth of value? That's a personal decision. (Personally, I think Loegria as a whole is well worth $224, and for those who have other string libraries, it may well make more sense to get the supplements that Loegria offers instead of CSS, but again, if you are talking just in terms of a string library, it is really no contest.)

whiskers and rrichard63 like this.
  15. sostenuto

sostenuto Big NKS Fan !

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    Clear. Never thought of Loegria in terms of comprehensive string library.
    No disagreement whatsoever and my Replies have been from very narrow focus, related to this limited SFA promotion. Hoping strongly for similar offers on ICENI, UIST.

16. ccarreira

ccarreira Member

May 21, 2017
    Synths in Albion II are one of the reasons why I bought this library. Some presets sound like That Vangelis pads in the album Soil Festivities, I love that sound. I think it's a lovely delicate library, with amazing string sound.

17. VgsA

VgsA Active Member

May 23, 2014
    I grabbed it, and I certainly find it inspiring. Here's something I made relying heavily on the strings:

Other instruments are NI Alicia's Keys, Vocal Codex by Eduardo Tarilonte, Arva choir from Strezov Sampling... feel free to ask if there's something you want to know about the track.

aegisninja, jonesdip and ism like this.
  18. Lode_Runner

Lode_Runner Senior Member

Feb 5, 2014
    I'm assuming like others that Albion II is about to be replaced by Albion TWO.

Can anyone tell me, was a 50% off upgrade from Albion Legacy to Albion ONE ever available again after the launch of ONE? The reason I ask is that I'm happy to buy Albion II at this price, but don't want to feel pressured to buy TWO immediately afterwards (as was the case with ONE).

19. OP
    OP
    poetd

poetd Active Member

Sep 9, 2018
    We don't know.

When there was a fire sale on Solo strings before their re-release - then anyone buying during that sale was denied an upgrade price (those that owned the library before did get an discount).

Not saying that IS the case now, and SFA aren't saying, but I'm assuming that's going to be the case this time.

KallumS likes this.
  20. ccarreira

ccarreira Member

May 21, 2017
    I believe intro upgrade price+sale price = intro price.

Same investment but you keep the old library.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    poetd likes this.