1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The city (css+csss+bww+ssb+various)

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by meaks, Sep 8, 2017.

1. meaks

meaks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Hi all,
    Here's a piece written after i bought CSS and CSSS, i'm working actually on a project which consist on small pieces. Feel free to listen and comment !

Thanks,
    Meaks.

jemu999, Fab, Fer and 6 others like this.
  2. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
  3. OP
    OP
    meaks

meaks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Thanks Saxer, much respect for your work.
    I actually hope to record with an orchestra and a solist ASAP, but i need to earn some money before...
    I personally find CSS, CSSS, BWW and SSB versatile enough to write in a more traditional way that fits with my workflow, i just hope that the transcribed score from midi will be right as it is sometimes a delicate operation :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  4. Kubler

Kubler Active Member

Jan 6, 2016
    France
    Nice work ! I love the build-up. If I had just one or two things to say about the mix :

I would have centered the soli parts instead of panning them with the rest of the sections, but I'm not 100% sure whether I'm actually confused by this precise point or if it's because your track lacks sound in the middle. It has a wide stereo image but I think it could use a bit more of centered instruments ^^

Also just my personal taste, but some of the soli excerpts are a tiny bit "late" in comparison of the orchestra. I prefer them more in time, but it adds some life and tension to the piece so it's not that hassling.

Great composition anyway :)

5. TGV

TGV Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Great piece. It does lack a bit in the upper bass/lower mid frequencies, I think too. E.g., the chord at 2:39 could be a bit warmer. Perhaps you made too much space for the pulsing bass synth? But it's a great track.

6. TheNorseman

TheNorseman Senior Member

Jun 27, 2017
    I like it. I was actually not sure where you were going with this for the first 30 seconds. Great chord progression, not too obvious or cliché.

7. E.Heart

E.Heart Active Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Europe
    Nice atmospherical piece. Feels like it is telling a mysterious story. The title could have been very different though (e.g. "the ancient woods"?) as it has all these bird-like sounds...

8. OP
    OP
    meaks

meaks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2010
    @Kubler , thanks for your tips ! It's difficult for me to mix the right way for now because i'm discovering CSS, CSSS and SSB, i wrote this little piece just after i downloaded all those great libraries... i'll check those middle frequencies ! And yes, i think more "live placement" than production sometimes when i mock-up, and i'm not 100% sure of my panned virtual orchestra, i agree with you, maybe i should center more ...
    @TGV , I'll check those frequencies, maybe it's my monitor system that adds too much of them...
    @E.Heart , Those birds sounds over the piece are there because i plan to make a multiple piece project with videos, so i thought birds for a track which is about our lives in the cities could be nice :)
    Maybe i'll post one of those videos to share my project and have your feedback :)
    Anyway, thanks for your kind comments !

9. camelot

camelot Senior Member

Jul 31, 2016
    I very much enjoyed this one. Very good atmosphere. Great work.
    The first violin is really a little bit too far off to the left for my taste.