1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Calm Before the Storm (looking for chime samples like this)

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by Rodney Money, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Rodney Money

Rodney Money My wife made me cut my hair.

Mar 6, 2015
    I have been doing some experiments with a recent piece, and here is what I am wanting: beach and ocean sounds right before sunrise, then medium high chimes, and then the low chimes, but what I am needing is that the chimes play these notes: Bb, F, and C so a soloist can play over top. The samples that I have are simply more like recordings with fixed notes that can not be changed. Are there any samples or virtual instruments that sound like my listening example but can play Bb, F, and C?

2. The Darris

The Darris Senior Member

Jun 19, 2012
    That's a tough one. I had the same issue when I wrote a piece that had a similar vibe, the funny part is that the piece was about a storm passing through a country side with the first movement titled, "The Calm." Small world. Anyway, I think what you've created hear sounds perfectly reasonable to use the percussion section as the "chimes."

I haven't found a sample library with a properly pitched wind chime sound that sounded good. You might want to consider buying a set of chimes and sampling them and pitch shifting them to fit your tonal center. Besides that, maybe try just using any wind chime sounds and letting the pitch difference be apart of the setting. Personally, the chimes not fitting into the key signature might add an extra layer of immersion to what you are trying to accomplish. Just my thoughts, sorry if that's not much help.

Best,

Chris

Rodney Money likes this.
  3. gregh

gregh Senior Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Rodney Money likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Rodney Money

Mar 6, 2015
    Thank you for your input Chris. Was it your piece that featured the saxophone about the storm?

My final version of this project will probably sound nothing like this, but it gives you some idea what I'm looking for concerning textures. Although there might not be any samples that are made for this type of project, at least I find comfort in knowing that I'm truly thinking outside of the box, if there was ever a box. Maybe there is, but it's just full of string libraries? Lol. JK. Thanks again.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    Rodney Money

Mar 6, 2015
    Thank you so much! This might do the trick with some creativity from my part. The chimes used in the Bolder Sounds looks very similar to the real ones that I was looking at in a store today, and would you believe the exact same notes including the notes I am needing, but in the store they would've cost me close to $100, so I think I'm going to try these samples. Thank you again for taking the time to post some suggestions. Means a lot.

6. The Darris

The Darris Senior Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Yes, that's the piece. It's great knowing other composers are inspired by similar things yet create entirely different pieces from that inspiration. Can't wait to hear what you come up with.

Rodney Money likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Rodney Money

Mar 6, 2015
    I so remember your piece! I enjoyed it immensely and can still hear your saxophone player's wonderful tone and expression within my head.

The piece that I am trying to finish up is in 7 movements based on the 7 stages of grief where besides some very basic edits, 6 out of 7 are now complete. Each movement is not only based on one of the stages but the entire work goes through the seasons in this order: autumn, winter, spring, and summer where hopefully we will find acceptance and hope. So in reality the final version of this movement will not be called "The Calm Before the Storm," but more like "To Listen With Our Hearts" which is based on a quote from Fred Rogers.

What I am trying to picture is this: in the 6th movement the soloist was caught at night inside a cathedral during a raging storm, but as the storm passes away the soloist opens the door of the church walking towards a beach as the sun starts to rise with movement 7. The soloist hears chimes from distant homes and then suddenly the chimes become the accompaniment to the soloist's melody of hope as one watching a sunrise at the beach with the feeling of anything is possible, even happiness and finding joy once again. The soloist will go through a melody, fanfare section, leading to a cadenza, a hymn of innocence from movement 1 and then fading away gently as hope rises leaving the stage empty except for the sound of the ocean.

The Darris likes this.
  8. The Darris

The Darris Senior Member

Jun 19, 2012
    This all sounds awesome! Can't wait to hear it when it's ready to be shared.

Rodney Money likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Rodney Money

Mar 6, 2015
    Thank ya! I just hope I can pull it off. :unsure: