What's new

The Calling - Warner Bros + Hollywood Scoring + Dennis Sands

IvanP

Hey! Long time since I posted some music here! Thought I could share this one.

I recently had some time in between projects and decided to record a piece at Warner Bros with the Hollywood Scoring guys and a 65 piece orchestra engineered by Dennis Sands. Needless to say, I had quite some fun :P

Hope you'll like it too!

Music composed, orchestrated and conducted by me (Ivan Palomares)
Recording Engineer: Dennis Sands
Mixer: Mikel Krutzaga
Music Prep: JAKane Music Services
Orchestra Contractor: Hollywood Scoring
Recorded at Warner Bros, CA

A really nice piece! I think the first minute and a half is my favourite part but the whole thing is great, good development which always appeals to me. Would you be able to make the conductor's score available? I think combined with the video it would be a good study aid.

This is indeed excellent.

I'm mulling over your introduction, "I recently had some time in between projects and decided to record a piece at Warner Bros with the Hollywood Scoring guys and a 65 piece orchestra engineered by Dennis Sands."

So... this wasn't paid work for a client as one of your regular projects, it was something on the side for yourself? (A la Mike Verta's "The Race"?) If so... well, you rock. :2thumbs:

I'd be really curious about the logistics of a project like this (expense, how much studio time and how many takes, etc.)

This is indeed excellent.

I'm mulling over your introduction, "I recently had some time in between projects and decided to record a piece at Warner Bros with the Hollywood Scoring guys and a 65 piece orchestra engineered by Dennis Sands."

So... this wasn't paid work for a client as one of your regular projects, it was something on the side for yourself? (A la Mike Verta's "The Race"?) If so... well, you rock. :2thumbs:

I'd be really curious about the logistics of a project like this (expense, how much studio time and how many takes, etc.)

Thank you guys!! I appreciate your kind words!

Thks! Yes, this was a side thing...I have done a lot of delicate, European film music and I didn't had in my reel something in this vein...given that I had the chance of showcasing some of my music for a pitch, I thought it wouldn't hurt to have something more "blockbusty", would it? :P

I booked a 25 minutes slot, this was done on 3 full passes and 1 pickup, if I remember correctly. 1st read was almost good (I was writing specifically for some of these players, some of which I had already worked before (Jon Lewis, Armen Ksajikian, etc...) and I knew what they are able to deliver on a short session like this...they are outstanding players!). So it was just a matter of editing/chosing the takes where I decided to do some minor changes, or where I conducted the phrasing differently, for a specific brassy high end effect, etc.

Noah Gladstone is around this forum, you can ask him about costs and expenses, as they vary upon each open session they offer.

Beautiful work there!

Forgive my ignorance (never having been involved in actual orchestral recording)
but why the headphones if there's no film?
was a click necessary for splicing?
also seems that the horns aren't using cans (maybe in the ear I can't see?)
Was there a preference for players for headphone style, or?
Nice camera work and editing btw.

I'm sure you're feeling pretty good about it
and you should. :grin:

k

Beautiful work there!

Forgive my ignorance (never having been involved in actual orchestral recording)
but why the headphones if there's no film?
was a click necessary for splicing?
also seems that the horns aren't using cans (maybe in the ear I can't see?)
Was there a preference for players for headphone style, or?
Nice camera work and editing btw.

I'm sure you're feeling pretty good about it
and you should. :grin:

k

Very nice question!

Headphones make it easier and faster to communicate with the booth. If any non musical detail (chair noise etc) should be addressed quickly without the need to lose time in telling the conductor 1st, they can tell that to the musicians.
But you're right, we recorded it to a click as well. With less than 25 minutes I wanted to make sure we could focus on performance. I'm a seasoned conductor and could have done it without click, but for editing sake and achieving the tightest bits, I thought I didn't want to risk a take or two until they felt comfortable with my conducting gesture. In a normal recording session (as in film) this type of piece would have taken longer to record.
In fact I told the musicians that I would be doing a last take without click, if time allowed (gotta love a performance without click!). But we couldn't make it!

Very nice question!

Headphones make it easier and faster to communicate with the booth. If any non musical detail (chair noise etc) should be addressed quickly without the need to lose time in telling the conductor 1st, they can tell that to the musicians.
But you're right, we recorded it to a click as well. With less than 25 minutes I wanted to make sure we could focus on performance. I'm a seasoned conductor and could have done it without click, but for editing sake and achieving the tightest bits, I thought I didn't want to risk a take or two until they felt comfortable with my conducting gesture. In a normal recording session (as in film) this type of piece would have taken longer to record.
In fact I told the musicians that I would be doing a last take without click, if time allowed (gotta love a performance without click!). But we couldn't make it!
Hi Ivan,

Just listened again to the music, and its wonderful. Ivan, may I ask in regard to the click you would have performed it to, if you recorded it with a click, and as there was a faster section at the end, so there would have been a tempo change in speed for that section in comparison with the first, so, for each different section, even though there would have been a tempo change, was this click in strict time all the way through each different section, like a metronome? or ,just like in your DAW, when you record with a click?
thanks if you can tell me.
Steve :)

Hi Ivan,

Just listened again to the music, and its wonderful. Ivan, may I ask in regard to the click you would have performed it to, if you recorded it with a click, and as there was a faster section at the end, so there would have been a tempo change in speed for that section in comparison with the first, so, for each different section, even though there would have been a tempo change, was this click in strict time all the way through each different section, like a metronome? or ,just like in your DAW, when you record with a click?
thanks if you can tell me.
Steve :)

Thank you, Steve, yes there were tempo changes indeed. The Click was indeed following the tempo changes. I didn't use a DAW for this, as it was directly written on Sibelius. All the tempi changes were indicated in Sibelius and the click track was created after the Sibelius file.

Hope that makes some sense :P

Amazing stuff Ivan, you rock.

How much would this cost to record for a regular mortal?

Top Bottom