What's new

The Avengers, by Alan Silvestri (mockup)

nicedevill

Always wanted to do a mockup of this one and it was great practice in trying to make it sound as close to original as possible, which was a success according to YouTube's content ID.

Edit: Updated SoundCloud with minor tweaks suggested by @NoamL (thanks for valuable feedback).

And some behind scenes on YouTube.

Last edited:

NoamL

Winter <3
Very cool!!

What's the brass? (EDIT: I see from your YouTube channel: Cinematic Studio Strings, Cinematic Studio Brass, Spitfire Symphonic Woodwinds, NI Symphony Series Percussion, Spitfire Percussion, +some custom percussion samples)

Horns and strings sound great, trumpets could be sent backstage a bit more? That's been an issue with CSB for me as well. The trumpets sound so present :)

At your measure 32, tiny error haha, it's not just horns Ab->G, there is a trombone chord underneath it. (see )

Last edited:
OP
nicedevill

nicedevill

Horns and strings sound great, trumpets could be sent backstage a bit more? That's been an issue with CSB for me as well. The trumpets sound so present :)

At your measure 32, tiny error haha, it's not just horns Ab->G, there is a trombone chord underneath it.
You are right on both points. I don't know how I missed trombones chords there though. Big oversight on my side, have to admit it. :D In my "defense", I didn't have sheet available to check if every harmony is true to the original composition.

Jack Weaver

Yes, sounds very good. To me it sounds brighter and clearer than the original. That's one of the inherent qualities of samples - good or bad. I, for one, enjoy that. I would definitely have not walked out of the theater if your version had been used instead of the original.

Excellent work nicedevill and the video production works well also.

I look forward to more.

Sovereign

A couple of quick comments. I've been working on a mockup of this one too, did it by ear first as well but there are plenty of things moving in the strings and brass you can't quite tell unless you have the score in front of you. Anyway, there are some things missing. My biggest second issue at this point I think would be the dynamics, it seems you have everything playing at f or ff from the start? The backing strings for example actually start at mp and at some point go to mf. I don't like the marcato horns either, they don't play tight enough IMO, but that's more a problem of CSS brass and not your skills. I switched everything out for my mockup with a custom library. I also never liked the enormous wash of reverb on the original, there are some concert performances on youtube which I like better, for example:

OP
nicedevill

nicedevill

A couple of quick comments. I've been working on a mockup of this one too, did it by ear first as well but there are plenty of things moving in the strings and brass you can't quite tell unless you have the score in front of you. Anyway, there are some things missing. My biggest second issue at this point I think would be the dynamics, it seems you have everything playing at f or ff from the start? The backing strings for example actually start at mp and at some point go to mf. I don't like the marcato horns either, they don't play tight enough IMO, but that's more a problem of CSS brass and not your skills. I switched everything out for my mockup with a custom library. I also never liked the enormous wash of reverb on the original, there are some concert performances on youtube which I like better, for example:
I saw that video at least 3000 times during composing process :) Also, agree on CSS horn part not being tight enough. Was eying Modern Scoring Brass by Audiobro for a while now, but I was afraid I wouldn't gain much (and already spent ton of money on what is just a spare time hobby).

Would love to have original score to compare for errors, but overall, I'm happy how it turned out. Already working on another piece that I aim to finish after I come back from vacation. Thank you for feedback.

Last edited:
Top Bottom