What's new

The Audio Modeling SWAM String Orchestra

Rob

Great job, I’ve done something similar for quite a while, including my experiments with the yamaha vl synth... this sounds so much better, and very expressive, though it still retains some of the synthetic quality, especially in the f attacks...

Last edited:
OP
R

rohandelivera

The holy grail for a workflow on something like this would be a script that takes a single track as an input and generates an arbitrary number of additional tracks that flesh out the section with enough parameter variation for acceptable layering.
Good point - I suspect the genius types at SWAM are already thinking about this.

There's one big hurdle though, an AU would need to post process a midi performanceand I'm not sure this is possible (Yet). I could be wrong.

What I mean is, for example: a real ensemble doesn't act like a single player, everyone starts and ends a note differently, sometimes late, sometimes early; this blurring is an important part of an ensemble sound. A script would need to analyze a midi performance first and then create new tracks with variances.

Also the performance parameters of an instrument cannot be varied randomly, it all needs to be in a musical context.

OP
R

rohandelivera

Just for some context. Here is the real thing. Just realizing my interpretation is a tad de-caff.

Again, thanks for listening. Appreciate all the comments

Last edited:

Lee Blaske

Fantastic job. Really sounds convincing. If I hadn't known it was virtual, the only thing that would have made me question it was the short note from the entire orchestra at :48. Did you use an actual performance as the base, conductor track?

Phillip

Rohand, congratulations on great work. On the First Violins did you roll off hi end with the EQ? Thank you.

sherief83

Sheriefmusic.com
Amazing effort Rohan. i'm also sold on the Swam engine. I'm loving my sample modeling brass and can't wait to get my hands on this string package!

Straight2Vinyl

I have the string section and am attempting to get a decent small ensemble sound for pop recordings. I can't imagine how long it would take me to pull of something like this though!

YarKirGen

Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings, Op. 48, Mvt 1

16 SWAM First Violins in 4 stage positions
14 SWAM Second Violins in 2 stage positions
12 SWAM Violas in 3 stage positions
10 SWAM Violoncello in 2 stage positions
7 SWAM Basses in 1 stage position

Midi CC Performance with Tec Midi Breath Control, and Leap Motion VR controller.
Great work! Can you please answer some questions:
1) All the same parts (I mean 16 first violins part for example) recorded individually or copied with special template, that do parts "human-like" (e.g. little changes of velocity, expression, note lenghts etc)?
2) Can you please share your EQ settings?

OP
R

rohandelivera

Great work! Can you please answer some questions:
1) All the same parts (I mean 16 first violins part for example) recorded individually or copied with special template, that do parts "human-like" (e.g. little changes of velocity, expression, note lenghts etc)?
2) Can you please share your EQ settings?
This post will help https://vi-control.net/community/threads/my-process-for-building-realistic-instrumental-sections-with-swam-and-sample-modeling-instruments.69970/

pipedr

Superb work!

I wonder—Chris Hein promises a similar approach building up an orchestra from individual solo instruments, but with samples.

What do you think are the pluses and minuses of working with samples a la Chris Hein vs with modeled SWAM instruments?

Casiquire

Superb work!

I wonder—Chris Hein promises a similar approach building up an orchestra from individual solo instruments, but with samples.

What do you think are the pluses and minuses of working with samples a la Chris Hein vs with modeled SWAM instruments?
More control over vibrato, individual instrument control would be my main two

OP
R

rohandelivera

Superb work!

Thanks

With sampled instruments, layering several solo instruments is not a particularly successful way to make a convincing ensemble. At most you’re varying intonation, staggering envelopes and dynamic layers... Which is why you have sampled ensembles. The major plus of a which is convenience. And in the hands of a good orchestral programmer all you need.

The major plus of a modelled instrument is its infinite timbre and articulation. When executed in a musical context, correctly staged and mixed you can make a much better section than any sampled equivalent.

Alas the cost is convenience. (for now at least)

Last edited:

Rilla

That was absolutely beautiful. As good as the libraries sound, I've never heard any sound this human.

Top Bottom