What's new

Testing my new build with i9 7940X and 128 Gb of RAM!

marcodistefano

Composer
Hi There,

I have been away for a while, being busy with the build of my new machine.

My previous one was not capable to handle anymore my workflow and need of resources, being limited to 32Gb with an old i7 2700K core.

After a long study I decided to go with a one single machine build, and I choose to go with the following components:

The results are amazing, watch this video I have been able to play 100 instruments from Spitfire Audio in parallel, each with a changing expression/modulation/vibrato and articulations with a buffer size of 256. Just imagine that each of this instrument can launch up to 400 voices!!

And consider that in my previous machine (i7 2700K with 32 Gb) I could not play more than 14 instruments at the same time with a buffer size of 2048!!

https://marcodistefano.art/vo-15-building-and-testing-my-new-pc-i7-7940x-and-128-gb-ram/

Screenshot_20180923-124258__01__01.jpg
That's a spicy meat-a-ball!

But seriously thanks for sharing. These sorts of test are few and far between, yet incredibly beneficial.
(Or maybe im just a nerd?)

Thanks for watching and appreciating!
you get what you pay for :)
I needed a one time pc for the next ten years now, and this is clearly the case!

I prefer this test than the DAW bench, just saying how many voices it can handle does not help.
This way instead you got a clear idea of the practical capabilities of the machine.

By the way, I am a nerd too ;)

Still for multiple clients from an IT way of looking at this. Single point of failure does not tend to prove rewarding in the end :/

Still a powerful machine though :)

You are welcome!
Did not have, but you know... :rolleyes:
:rofl:
By the way I will never have the courage to do it

And also, who knows what the impact of this is in the lifespan of a cpu? There are probably not much who can share this information

Still for multiple clients from an IT way of looking at this. Single point of failure does not tend to prove rewarding in the end :/

Still a powerful machine though :)
Valid point but for me multiple machine is not an option because I have no space for them

Also because thinking about it you just multiply the maintenance costs, the upgrades, the electricity, the antivirus licences, the SSD...
In the end a single machine today is capable to do more that what we really need so is a no brainier for me

By the way I will never have the courage to do it

Yes, have to be a kind of "mad scientist" to do... :)
GolG9m0.gif

For anyone interested(I never used), there are delid services in Europe
https://www.delid.dk/what-we-do/ and USA https://siliconlottery.com/products/delid
And https://www.caseking.de/en sells delided CPUs.
Anyone who will use direct-die, must tell to not reseat the IHS.

And also, who knows what the impact of this is in the lifespan of a cpu? There are probably not much who can share this information

A cooler CPU will last longer, obviously respecting the voltage limits...
Do not need to overclock and a delided CPU can be more silent...

Thanks for sharing! I've been planning to build a PC with similar specs. I'm still waiting for the next generation CPUs, those might be released by end of the year. I've heard that Cubase has some problems with high core CPUs, did you notice any issues?

And it's great to hear there are delidding services in Europe too.

Ok, so the i9-7940X can be overclocked? If so that’s amazing. Also, can I run two of these bay boys on a dual CPU motherboard?
You can easily overclock to a stable 4,1 without many efforts
Someone got to 4,6.

Dual motherboard for Skylake-X? never see one :)

Thanks for sharing! I've been planning to build a PC with similar specs. I'm still waiting for the next generation CPUs, those might be released by end of the year. I've heard that Cubase has some problems with high core CPUs, did you notice any issues?

And it's great to hear there are delidding services in Europe too.
Hi,
no issues with Cubase, the opposite it works great and the load is equally shared across all CPUs.
There is a SkyLake x that may come end of year, but Cannon Lake is not before end of 2019
All the rest is not good since are limited to 64Gb of RAM, (and I don't think you want to go for a server cpu)

Thanks for watching!

Ok, so the i9-7940X can be overclocked? If so that’s amazing. Also, can I run two of these bay boys on a dual CPU motherboard?

You can't run two on one motherboard. That being said if you must have even more cores you could get the i9-7980XE (18 cores) or Threadripper 2990X (32 cores). Just keep in mind single thread performance suffers with both, as does power consumption, thermals etc.

You can't run two on one motherboard. That being said if you must have even more cores you could get the i9-7980XE (18 cores) or Threadripper 2990X (32 cores). Just keep in mind single thread performance suffers with both, as does power consumption, thermals etc.

Important to say that there are daw bench around and other tests showing that we are not yet ready for a CPU like 7980XE and that in the end the 7960X performs equally or even slighlty better
https://techreport.com/review/32607/intel-core-i9-7980xe-and-core-i9-7960x-cpus-reviewed/12

Today there are few applications that could really use 36 threads and in the end the lower base frequency plays a negative role, of course we do not know how quick it will happent the evolution towards a real multithread software architecture.

Only Xeons can be run on boards with more than one socket as they are server processers
The i9 is a powerful beast that seems to be between a Xeon and an i7, but Server chips have other instruction sets that consumer CPUs (i3, i5, i7 i9 etc) do not

Only Xeons can be run on boards with more than one socket as they are server processers
The i9 is a powerful beast that seems to be between a Xeon and an i7, but Server chips have other instruction sets that consumer CPUs (i3, i5, i7 i9 etc) do not
Correct, like supporting ideally as much RAM you want :)

The Threadripper 2990WX did not behave well in DAWbench.
https://www.scanproaudio.info/2018/...bench-just-a-little-bit-of-history-repeating/

Seems like the windows scheduler do not understand the 2990WX architecture well.

Can Process Lasso "save it"?

The only motherboard with really good VRM(in my opinion) for the 32 core CPU, the
MSI MEG X399 Creation seems to have a too high DPC latency for DAW workloads, this
can be a result from bad BIOS, driver or configuration...
From https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/09/18/msi_meg_x399_creation_threadripper_motherboard_review/4
"(...)In this test the highest reported interrupt to process latency was 537. This result was nearly double that of our control system. However, the results still within an acceptable range. The highest reported DPC routine execution time was 700. This is the highest results I’ve seen in quite some time.(...)"

As today no working Thunderbolt for Threadripper, but GIGABYTE X399 AORUS XTREME
and X399 DESIGNARE EX have a Thunderbolt header
Bg0o7WW.jpg

But Level1Techs made the Gigabyte Thunderbolt 3 PCIe card to work with a hack...

Sadly the safe bet still Intel, lets see what 2019 bring to us...

Last edited:
Top Bottom