Testing my new build with i9 7940X and 128 Gb of RAM!

Discussion in 'PC/Mac Builders, Mods, Peripherals - New' started by marcodistefano, Sep 23, 2018.

1. chimuelo

chimuelo Star Of Stage & Screen

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    Xeons don’t overclock unless the chipsets now allow this.
    I’d love to OC my Xeon.

I also like delidding and let the pros do this, but only HEDT CPUs.
    Xeons are quality CPUs with better thermal designs so delidding isn’t necessary.
    While Intel desktop and HEDT CPUs are bad ass they’re still considered consumer CPUs so corners are cut wherever possible.

I bought a delidded 8086k. It was always fast enough for me but I wanted lower temps, and 43C to 39C was worth the extra dough. I use it in a 1U I’m still testing.
    There’s a 1U Water Cooler for CPUs, it’s not as good as a Noctua but slightly better than the best 1U HSF Combos.
    I’m going to try that out before this rig replaces my 4790k.

Nice rig though boss and thanks for sharing tests.

Flexi83 likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    marcodistefano

marcodistefano Composer

Nov 30, 2017
    I agree and will do it,
    testing it now it is great, I don't think there is ever the need to do overclocking.
    I can play the test project at 128 of latency, what do we want more? :)
    Video coming in a few days

Flexi83 likes this.
  3. Flexi83

Flexi83 Member

Aug 3, 2017
    System Stability :D
    Try to export it to an audio file. I'm not sure what kind of stress tests needed to be perform to validate a system as "stable"

marcodistefano likes this.
  4. Flexi83

Flexi83 Member

Aug 3, 2017
    :dancer::dancer::dancer: 128 buffersize:dancer::dancer::dancer: WOW...without overclocking???
    :cautious::cautious::cautious: I was wandering when dropouts will occur? Next step would be 96 samples making it really realtime playable for me

5. OP
    OP
    marcodistefano

marcodistefano Composer

Nov 30, 2017
    Ok now I remember a previous post here of someone asking to check the configuration of vienna, where there is a buffer set to 2

Meaning that in reality is the double, so 256. Still an incredible result

Flexi83 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    marcodistefano

marcodistefano Composer

Nov 30, 2017
    There are stress tests available on internet
    The only problem is that I am not very knowledgeable to make OC, in my previous machine I was using a setup in the BIOS, but here there is no and need to do it myself
    I tried to increase the multiplier but then I see that I have lost the turbo speed, will try to read something on the internet.
    Do you know any guide for dummies? :)

7. Flexi83

Flexi83 Member

Aug 3, 2017
    No, sorry. But I want to upgrade from dual xeon x5680 to i9 as well.

8. Pictus

Pictus Active Member

Aug 14, 2018
    I would aim to a modest overclock with the i9-7960X/i9-7940X, like keeping all cores up to 4.2Ghz
    and no more than 1.2V for the CPU, use lowest voltage as possible, each CPU is different.
    Also the do not forget the AVX offset as AVX produces too much heat.
    May help:
    https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/8513/skylake-overclocking-guide/index.html
    https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-i...299-taichi-taichi-xe-discussion-thread-2.html

marcodistefano and chimuelo like this.
  9. Flexi83

Flexi83 Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Hi Marco,
    dont know if you already know this video. But very informativ to check system for realtime performance

marcodistefano and chimuelo like this.
  10. chimuelo

chimuelo Star Of Stage & Screen

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    First guy here to actually build master slave rigs with VEPro and test thoroughly.
    A great resource.

11. Flexi83

Flexi83 Member

Aug 3, 2017
    He Marco,
    Could you also make a DPC read out with "LatencyMon" of your system?
    Would be very interesting and helpful to see if all the components didn't cause stability problems.

12. OP
    OP
    marcodistefano

marcodistefano Composer

Nov 30, 2017
    Thanks I will watch it!

Flexi83 likes this.
  13. tabulius

tabulius Senior Member

If you haven't noticed Intel announced a refresh of 9th gen i9 and Core X platforms. Will be released in Nov: https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/8/...chips-2018-desktop-processors-8-core-i9-9900k

EDIT: And to add a point to the CPU performance vs real-time performance discussion, it seems that the high core Skylake-X processors do well on VI polyphony tests. Source: Scanproaudio

EDIT 2: Found a better and more detailed graph.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 7:18 AM
  14. OP
    OP
    marcodistefano

marcodistefano Composer

Nov 30, 2017
    Too late for me :)
    My PC collapsed one month ago, and initially read that these were going to be released Q1 2019, so decided not to wait. the 7960x is already more than I need, but interested what these new CPU will look like

15. Damarus

Damarus Composer n stuff

Nov 15, 2017
    Really informative video!

16. zircon_st

zircon_st Lead Developer

The Skylake-X refresh looks to be pretty underwhelming... just a slight bump in frequencies and solder instead of thermal paste. Not much difference otherwise.

17. tabulius

tabulius Senior Member

I agree. But to be honest, I didn't expect much. I think a big plus is soldered CPUs. So better temperatures out of the box, without the need of delidding (=quieter fans or better overclock). Other potential benefit is upcoming Black Friday sales and retailers might give good discounts last year's Skylake-X CPUs to get rid of their stocks.

18. OP
    OP
    marcodistefano

marcodistefano Composer

Nov 30, 2017