What's new

TENET Rhythms/Arps on Virtual Synths?

Still haven’t watched the film. Did enjoy the soundtrack. And @KEM: awesome job! ❤️
Yeah! Likewise, still not seem the film. Decided to avoid the soundtrack so I could experience them fresh, at the same time. Will likely be some time.

Not in the right frame-of-mind to appreciate it right at this moment, but it's definitely on a list :2thumbs:
Actually, I just looked for it but it doesn't seem to be streaming outside of the U.S.

I tried to recreate this sound in Massive a while ago, but it was apparent to me that it would be much easier to just do it in the piano roll. That way you can have full control over the notes.

This was my attempt. Haven't figured out the rest of the elements of "Freeport" so I just abandoned the project.

Attachments

• Freeport synth.mp3
    1.8 MB
I tried to recreate this sound in Massive a while ago, but it was apparent to me that it would be much easier to just do it in the piano roll. That way you can have full control over the notes.

This was my attempt. Haven't figured out the rest of the elements of "Freeport" so I just abandoned the project.

I say go for it!! I had a ton of fun recreating it, of course I did my own interpretation of it but I tried to stay faithful to the original and I had a great time making it

I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but the grandparent of that effect is the Tangerine Dream/Berlin School analogue-sequencer ratchet (eg Diamond Diary in the Thief soundtrack), where a control signal divides the pulses feeding a synth: https://learningmodular.com/patching-a-ratcheting-sequence/

The advantage of doing it the modular way is that the player can have control over when the ratchet pops, using an external control instead of just relying on an LFO: just dial in the points where you want the ratchet. You can do it in Reason's rack by toggling between two step sequencers: https://www.reasonexperts.com/ratchet-sequencer.html

You just needed to put a short delay on the patch and modulate the filter cutoff with the modwheel and you would have had it.

Last edited:
From 12:26-13:18 he plays the main TENET arp that’s used all throughout the film (also my favorite synth patch/motif of all time), but he doesn’t say anything he used to create it, but he does show the patch filtered and unfiltered for those who are interested in hearing the patch by itself

Here's my best attempt at recreating it in ZebraHZ (with a lot of post-processing effects), if only I could talk to Ludwig... first thing I'd ask him would be to show me this patch in detail, I'd do anything to get this patch!!

Attachments

• TENET Main Arp (ZberaHZ).mp3
    1 MB
Here's my best attempt at recreating it in ZebraHZ (with a lot of post-processing effects), if only I could talk to Ludwig... first thing I'd ask him would be to show me this patch in detail, I'd do anything to get this patch!!
Watch this guys video until the end.

You just needed to put a short delay on the patch and modulate the filter cutoff with the modwheel and you would have and it.
Yup. That was a very primitive version I printed before I did any additional work.

@KEM

I ended up going back to the session and it was fun indeed. Here's an updated version. Not 100% happy with the mix though.

Also, ditto on that RNIT arp. I ended up using a random old Massive patch I made long time ago that seem to have a certain quality I liked.

Attachments

• Freeport v1.1.mp3
    4.1 MB
  • TENET MAIN ARP.mp3
    1.8 MB
Last edited:
if only I could talk to Ludwig... first thing I'd ask him would be to show me this patch in detail, I'd do anything to get this patch!!

Have you tried calling him or messaging him on social media? You'd be surprised how accessible people are if you approach them in a kind way with a sincere question about their work.

Have you tried calling him or messaging him on social media? You'd be surprised how accessible people are if you approach them in a kind way with a sincere question about their work.
Completely agree, Hans has replied many times on here about a particular cue or sound, so there is a chance that Ludwig might reply and explain how he created the sound.

Top Bottom