What's new

TENET Rhythms/Arps on Virtual Synths?

KEM

The TENET Guy
How would you go about creating these complex rhythms and arps on virtual synths? I have ZebraHZ, Diva, and Omnisphere and I’d love to try and recreate this patch (and the “dark” version in the second track) or something like it but when I tried in Zebra I couldn’t figure out how to get the same arp pattern, didn’t even seem like it was possible in Zebra, anyone have any ideas? I want to delve deep into synthesis and get better at it and the synths in TENET are the pinnacle for me so that’s what I want to learn how to replicate

Reactions: GNP
I think this kind of a thing would be fairly easy to create in Omnisphere. I would try with that.
I’m attempting it now and I just can’t figure out how to program a complex rhythm like that in the arpeggiator of Omni or Zebra, they don’t seem to allow you to use triplets or dotted notes along with regular note values in the same sequence

I’m attempting it now and I just can’t figure out how to program a complex rhythm like that in the arpeggiator of Omni or Zebra, they don’t seem to allow you to use triplets or dotted notes along with regular note values in the same sequence
Saw wave. Kind of a bit supersaw detuned slightly. Lfo attached to modwheel routed to filter cutoff. Double the speed of the 16 note arp. Some pitch bend.

I'll give it a shot and see if I'm right and post the results.

I too am interested in this.

Reactions: KEM
Saw wave. Kind of a bit supersaw detuned slightly. Lfo attached to modwheel routed to filter cutoff. Double the speed of the 16 note arp. Some pitch bend.

I'll give it a shot and see if I'm right and post the results.

I too am interested in this.
Definitely looking forward to the results, I was able to get a similar sound in Zebra but that arp is a nightmare

Use the Step dividers. The arpeggiator in Omnisphere is very powerful and there is rhythmically nothing you can't do in there. :)

Last edited:
Here's what I was able to come up with in ZebraHZ using MSEGS, unfortunately I ran out of points to use so I can't program a more complex rhythm:mad: I really wish Zebra had unlimited MSEGS points to use

Attachments

• TENET Rhythm Synth.mp3
    782 KB
Here's what I was able to come up with in ZebraHZ using MSEGS, unfortunately I ran out of points to use so I can't program a more complex rhythm:mad: I really wish Zebra had unlimited MSEGS points to use
so what I did was use a CC on the LFO to change the rate (quantized to project), rather than setting up an arp. That way you can really create the rhythms exactly how you want rather than being locked into an arp.

View attachment 2021-06-23 18-39-42.mp4

Dude I'm excited. I made some real progress on this after my first initial attempt a few months ago.

As far as the arp, I found that you need one that can subdivide. Reason has a drum sequencer than can subdivide. I used Obsession as the synth. Then modulated the filter amount after setting the filter envelope and the filter amount to get the basic pluck sound. Used some delay and some pitch bend to get that smearing sliding sound.

What do you think?

Attachments

• TENET SYNTH_JH.mp3
    1.9 MB
so what I did was use a CC on the LFO to change the rate (quantized to project), rather than setting up an arp. That way you can really create the rhythms exactly how you want rather than being locked into an arp.

View attachment 2021-06-23 18-39-42.mp4
That makes a lot more sense, that way you can program the automation to have a much longer pattern than the standard 16 bars that most synths give, I’ll make sure to remember that.
There are videos floating around on YouTube of people recreating this exact synth pattern. One of them was using Serum I think and it sounded pretty close.
I watched all the videos on YouTube about it and most of them were pretty good and had something I could take away from, I just wanted an in depth breakdown on how to do it with the soft synths I personally own, I still have no idea what synth Ludwig used for it

Dude I'm excited. I made some real progress on this after my first initial attempt a few months ago.

As far as the arp, I found that you need one that can subdivide. Reason has a drum sequencer than can subdivide. I used Obsession as the synth. Then modulated the filter amount after setting the filter envelope and the filter amount to get the basic pluck sound. Used some delay and some pitch bend to get that smearing sliding sound.

What do you think?
Sounds great!! Do you have if Hive can subdivide? I just tried it in Omni like @Kuusniemi said and it definitely sounded pretty close, wish Zebra could do that…

Sounds great!! Do you have if Hive can subdivide? I just tried it in Omni like @Kuusniemi said and it definitely sounded pretty close, wish Zebra could do that…
Not sure. I don't have Hive. I tried to think in terms of hardware so used a dedicated outside virtual cv sequencer from my Reason Rack. I'm sure Hive can do it though.

I'm pretty sure Zebra can do it too. You'd have to change the little sequencer note in Zebra to a 32 note to get that rapid flam sound.

I got to go to bed but I will try it with Zebra in the morning see if I have any luck.

Not sure. I don't have Hive. I tried to think in terms of hardware so used a dedicated outside virtual cv sequencer from my Reason Rack. I'm sure Hive can do it though.

I'm pretty sure Zebra can do it too. You'd have to change the little sequencer note in Zebra to a 32 note to get that rapid flam sound.

I got to go to bed but I will try it with Zebra in the morning see if I have any luck.
Alright great thanks! I was having a lot of trouble with Zebra’s arpeggiator, since it only allows you to make notes slower once you’ve chosen the value (as far as I’m aware) I tried to set it to 32nd notes and use that for the bursts and then make all the others half length but it just didn’t sound right to me, if you can get something more accurate definitely let me know how

This is in no particular way connected to the Tenet sounds, just wanted to show some of rhythmic synth you could create with Omnisphere. The beginning of the video shows the Arps I created for my sound set "Omnidose" (which is a D-50 reimagining) and there's quite a bit of rhythmic play:

This is in no particular way connected to the Tenet sounds, just wanted to show some of rhythmic synth you could create with Omnisphere. The beginning of the video shows the Arps I created for my sound set "Omnidose" (which is a D-50 reimagining) and there's quite a bit of rhythmic play:

That first patch sounds awesome!! Almost sounds glitchy when the filter opens up, Omni really has so much capabilities I still don’t even know exist

That first patch sounds awesome!! Almost sounds glitchy when the filter opens up, Omni really has so much capabilities I still don’t even know exist
Omnisphere is really powerful when you starts to delve into it. People tend to think it's just a preset rompler. :D

Top Bottom