What's new

TENET Rhythms/Arps on Virtual Synths?

Excellent info! Many thanks :2thumbs:
It's the usual way I do it for more simple synths, but it has a lot of potentials and can be adapted to fit many different scenarios.

For example, here's a quick Tom like synth that is similar to what I usually layer with more traditional percussion - or as its own percussive element depending on context. It can also be perfectly tuned to whatever note you want and play high and low or anywhere in between.

With this setup, I can control how hard the "tom" is struck (VEL) and how much decay the tom has (CC1). Then I just automate these to give it a bit more life instead of the static, too-perfect sound that often accompanies synths.

Attachments

• SynthTom01.mp3
    489.6 KB
It's the usual way I do it for more simple synths, but it has a lot of potentials and can be adapted to fit many different scenarios.

For example, here's a quick Tom like synth that is similar to what I usually layer with more traditional percussion - or as its own percussive element depending on context. It can also be perfectly tuned to whatever note you want and play high and low or anywhere in between.

With this setup, I can control how hard the "tom" is struck (VEL) and how much decay the tom has (CC1). Then I just automate these to give it a bit more life instead of the static, too-perfect sound that often accompanies synths.
Simple, but very effective! Thanks again, for the ideas :2thumbs:

Here's what I was able to come up with in ZebraHZ using MSEGS, unfortunately I ran out of points to use so I can't program a more complex rhythm:mad: I really wish Zebra had unlimited MSEGS points to use
This is how I would have done it.

Actually my upcoming Zebra library uses a LOT of these types of patterns with MSEGs.

I think you might be able to get similar sounds way easier with a Roland SE-02 or DSI Prophet 06.. also similar to Stranger Things.

I don't know if Ludwig used hardware synths, maybe modulars? But sounds similar to those 2, specially P06

Reactions: KEM
I can do these rhythmic patterns in VPS Avenger synth (you could do it in Omnisphere too) with the step sequencer (Trancegate):
e.g.

Reactions: KEM
Alright great thanks! I was having a lot of trouble with Zebra’s arpeggiator, since it only allows you to make notes slower once you’ve chosen the value (as far as I’m aware) I tried to set it to 32nd notes and use that for the bursts and then make all the others half length but it just didn’t sound right to me, if you can get something more accurate definitely let me know how
Did a version with ZebraHZ. It can certainly handle the synth line. It's a little bit harder on this synth which is why I probably don't reach for it often. Also, it was just a bit harder to dial in the right filters, settings, ect... But with a little more work it can do the Tenet synth for sure.

The trick with the Arp is you need to set the sync to the minimum value you need. In this case it's 32nd notes. Then you put that little note in the Arp to 1/8 notes (which sounds like 16th because of the synch) and then the 16th note at the end for the burst which will come out as 32nd notes because that's the sync value and 16th's is a low as you can go in the Arp. It's a little weird but not too bad.

ZebraHZ is a beast though. I need to get at it a bit more than I do. It's a cool synth.

Attachments

• Tenet with ZebraHZ.mp3
    1.1 MB
Why use an (inbuilt)arp at all? I personally often feel a bit too confined when using the built-in arp in synths if I want to create more complex pattern. Especially when I need more than a couple of bars of pattern, or want a pattern that changes a lot.

This very quick example I made is really simple but could be expanded however you want.

You're a purist! Love that! :2thumbs: I was doing a similar thing and automating the note value on a delay plugin to make the 32/16th stutter more unpredictable, and get the delay internal hp/lp filter involved as well to make it more interesting without having to rely just on the cutoff filter in the synth.

They’re not released yet so can’t send any tracks but here’s another little tease! When I’m at my PC I’ll let you know about the patches!
That sounds awesome I’m definitely looking forward to hear the full thing!! Also really excited to talk about those synth patches as well

that arpeggio always sounded to me like sorta Trap Hi-Hats pattern converted to melodic.
Yeah it sounds more Note Repeat than Arpeggiator to me. I don’t know how Ludwig approached it but with his background, this would be my bet.

Reactions: lux
Why use an (inbuilt)arp at all? I personally often feel a bit too confined when using the built-in arp in synths if I want to create more complex pattern. Especially when I need more than a couple of bars of pattern, or want a pattern that changes a lot.

This very quick example I made is really simple but could be expanded however you want.

ZBJV9an501.png
Sounds awesome!! The main reason I use a built in arp is because I’ve had trouble in the past getting programmed midi to behave the same as a built in arp with the way it interacts with the patch, but yours sounds awesome so I’m going to fool around with it again as I do want longer drawn out rhythms

During the time I'm regularly losing on Youtube, I've see an ad a few times lately for an arpeggio/trancegate/Synth VST and the trailer for it was a total rip off of TENET soundtrack.
Damn, I can't remember the name right now... If it comes back I'll chime in again.
This arp has some Tenet like stuff going on in one of the demo/trailers. Seems pretty powerful.
That's the one I was talking about.
For the first time ever I was like "Damn, I want to see that ad again on Youtube".
You were faster than the Google ad algorithm :)
I did see a post about this product her on VI and my immediate thought was “Can it do TENET rhythms?” But I couldn’t tell if it was an effect plugin or a separate instrument so I didn’t look much into it, if I could use it as an arpeggiator for Zebra or Hive or something I’ll definitely have to get it!!

that arpeggio always sounded to me like sorta Trap Hi-Hats pattern converted to melodic.
That’s exactly what it is actually, don’t forget Ludwig is Childish Gambino’s producer, so he’s well versed in Hip-Hop drum production and he uses them on all of his scores, including TENET, this synth patch is basically a just taking a classic Trap hat rhythm and making a synth play it instead which is why it’s so cool and intriguing to me!

Reactions: lux
This is how I would have done it.

Actually my upcoming Zebra library uses a LOT of these types of patterns with MSEGs.
Keep me posted on that!! Hopefully one day we’ll get a Zebra update with unlimited MSEGS, hell at least give us double that’s available now…

Did a version with ZebraHZ. It can certainly handle the synth line. It's a little bit harder on this synth which is why I probably don't reach for it often. Also, it was just a bit harder to dial in the right filters, settings, ect... But with a little more work it can do the Tenet synth for sure.

The trick with the Arp is you need to set the sync to the minimum value you need. In this case it's 32nd notes. Then you put that little note in the Arp to 1/8 notes (which sounds like 16th because of the synch) and then the 16th note at the end for the burst which will come out as 32nd notes because that's the sync value and 16th's is a low as you can go in the Arp. It's a little weird but not too bad.

ZebraHZ is a beast though. I need to get at it a bit more than I do. It's a cool synth.
Sounds awesome!! Would you mind sending me the patch? Or at least taking a pic of the arp settings for me? Would really appreciate it!!

I think you might be able to get similar sounds way easier with a Roland SE-02 or DSI Prophet 06.. also similar to Stranger Things.

I don't know if Ludwig used hardware synths, maybe modulars? But sounds similar to those 2, specially P06
He does use modular!!

Attachments

• 8AA1A1B4-97AE-4A18-8482-0E5895471C02.jpeg
    8AA1A1B4-97AE-4A18-8482-0E5895471C02.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 63ABF1CA-A23C-403D-BB80-B1F3669D92E4.jpeg
    63ABF1CA-A23C-403D-BB80-B1F3669D92E4.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 31
That’s exactly what it is actually, don’t forget Ludwig is Childish Gambino’s producer, so he’s well versed in Hip-Hop drum production and he uses them on all of his scores, including TENET, this synth patch is basically a just taking a classic Trap hat rhythm and making a synth play it instead which is why it’s so cool and intriguing to me!
it may sound crazy but my impression is that it may be some vocoder-like effect with a trap hihats sequence as a carrier and with melodies and/or harmonies triggered by midi. Many vocoders have also portamento which may explain what we hear. Also it may explain why it has definitely an unique sound.

Top Bottom