What's new

Template

hfd

Hi, Ladies and Gentlemen. I need help. It' been more than one-month building computer installing programmes and software...
Now, I'm creating a template But I couldn't finish it. I have more than 100 Articulations in my sample library.
Can someone please tell me what is the most used Articulation.
And the ones that intermediate template should have. As a starting point for Woodwind, Brass, Strings.
Thank you in Advance.

d.healey

Music Monkey
You can get by with just sustain and staccato for a lot of stuff. But if you're writing something that needs pizzicato strings then you're going to need pizzicato samples, if you write something for flutter tongue then you need flutter samples, etc. So decide what you're going to write and create a template that suits your needs and has the articulations you want to use.

OP
H

hfd

Thank you very interesting. Any more advice everybody will be very appreciated.

The Darris

Building a template should be built to YOUR needs. I try to always build a template that is designed specifically for the job at hand. If you want just a general writing template, then create a template based around the tools and articulations you like to write with. If you are building a template for a specific project, include the types of sounds needed for that. For instance, if you are working on some type of film, your template for an kids movie will differ from a horror film. There are certainly overlaps but generally they have a lot of differences, musically speaking, between them. Do you research and plan accordingly.

If you are planning to record these projects live and you will be dealing with an orchestrator of sorts, you may want to consider how you layout your template. The use of keyswitches are fine but the use of Expression Maps (Cubase) or other scripts similar to Expression Maps will make it difficult for the orchestrator to discern your parts from the midi you send them. They will have to rely on your reference tracks or STEMS (if you print them prior to orchestration). Either way, knowing what the jobs of those further down the pipe in a production is good if you want to make the process as smooth as possible. This is something I learned on a previous gig. I exclusively used Expression Maps on nearly every instrument to keep my instruments down to one track. It worked well for ME but it made it difficult for the orchestrators which resulted in some of my cues having wrong articulations marked which required revisions to the orchestrations. This causes a back up when you are working on a deadline.

As for specific articulations, just use what you need to use! Don't limit yourself too much, especially with the more decorative articulations in each section. Those are what can really give your music a specific character. As you write and grow as a composer, you will start to see what you do and don't use and that will inform how you build your future templates.

Best,

Chris

James H

01001000 01101001
Really helpful @The Darris
I've just started out with VEP this week and whilst I'm finding it helpful, I'm finding it daunting. Not just by the learning curve but also by what OP asked.

So are you saying having multiple templates is ok?

I've kinda started that way... probably because I'm useless finishing things. But I was worried I should be building the "mother of all templates" and I'm far from that. I have a small movie type one and building a small section one.

The Darris

Really helpful @The Darris
I've just started out with VEP this week and whilst I'm finding it helpful, I'm finding it daunting. Not just by the learning curve but also by what OP asked.

So are you saying having multiple templates is ok?

I've kinda started that way... probably because I'm useless finishing things. But I was worried I should be building the "mother of all templates" and I'm far from that. I have a small movie type one and building a small section one.
Absolutely! Whatever you need to get the job done effectively, efficiently, and on time! The ideas of "templates" go back plenty of years now but think of them as the starting point for whatever project you are doing. You obviously will have to alter it to fit your needs as you go so coming up with a good template that handles the bulk of what you write is ideal. My "main" template evolves every few months. I learn something new with each major project I take on and those lessons learned help me tailor my main template for future projects.

The "mother of all templates" is really just a bragging right. I've seen so many composer (big and small) brag about how massive their templates are. Hell, I've done videos about my template in the past thinking it was cool. In reality, a template should serve one purpose, YOUR workflow. Trying to build one based off of "So and So's" template is not a good approach. Likewise, trying to build the most massive template possible is counterproductive. Like I said before, my template is always evolving but one thing I've learned when revising it? I tend to remove things from my template versus adding them. It's okay to start small, with the necessities. And you know what they say about necessity right?

Cheers,

C

OP
H

hfd

"mother of all templates" that what I was thinking to build before I starting writing music. It's like what is the necessary tools to have before start writing. the main tools or ingredient for a chef is oil, salt, pepper. the rest is just like improvisation...
But now like the idea of Mr. Darris " YOUR workflow". it's more where you want to take your composition to or where the composition wants to go. But, Most of the time the composition itself dictate what is right for it.
( it's not the destination that counts it's the journey)
That mean Template is Malleable, Flexible.
Thank you

ed buller

What others have said. Build a template based on what you know you need. Then add to it. I have about 30 templates. Some are very simple ( 10 tracks ) some are gargantuan. Depends on what Im writing. If i'm doing a hip hop dramedy cue I don't need a full orchestra...perhaps just pizz. I have a bunch of tracks already loaded with my go to libraies for that style. If i get a request "hey can we have vibes" i'll just add em. Templates are supposed to speed things up....not slow em down.

best

ed

Top Bottom