What's new

Tell me what's wrong with these meager attempts at Hybrid music (works in progress)

TomNoyd

No one special
I don't mean that in a defensive, sarcastic, rhetorical sort of way. I'm sincerely inviting people to take a listen and give their 2 cents on what needs to be improved with these tracks.

(I'm still not too savvy with embing Soundcloud playlists so I may be editing this post a few times)

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

I'm taking a stab at Hybrid, epic-ish, trailer-ish music so I'm not even trying to do anything original - just trying to see if I can even fit into the genre. I'm aware of the array of mixing issues (one track has enormous low-end build up, another has some weird transients that sound like the toms/low percussion are popping, the rest is just "meh").

If you take a listen, you're generous. If you give any constructive criticism (on mixing, composition, arrangement, etc), you're a saint.

Thank you very much and I hope I didn't waste too much of your time.

Sounds pretty good Tom, no reason to apologize. To improve it you may want to EQ out some of the lo-mid muddiness (200-500Hz), or perhaps orchestrating with less low and low-mid instruments- the detail of what your doing gets lost when too much is piled up in this frequency range. But this is minor, the pieces sound good and with a little mixing and mastering can pop a little more . Great job! :)

Thank you very much, X-Bassist!
You definitely confirmed my suspicions. General mixing and my tendency to pile more and more instruments are 2 of my strongest weaknesses. I'll focus on cutting out the mud in the lo-mids and sharpening the details.
Thank ya much!

Hey Tom,

Some nice tracks there. I like your use of sound design. Are these sounds you have made yourself?

Also what percussion libraries are you using?

Thanks,

Ollie

Hey Tom,

Some nice tracks there. I like your use of sound design. Are these sounds you have made yourself?

Also what percussion libraries are you using?

Thanks,

Ollie

Thanks, Ollie!

I'm afraid I cheated - I didn't "create" any sounds. Most (if not all) sound effects where just dragged/dropped in from Impact Soundworks' Juggernaut (some percussion as well).

Synths - NI Massive and some FM8

Percussion - As I said before, Impact Soundworks' Juggernaut (as well as their freebie version of ReForged); Impact Soundworks Impact Steel; Spitfire's HZ percussion (1 and 3); Albion I; Heavyocity's Evolve Mutations (1 and 2, I think). Oh, and I used the freebie version of Wavesfactory's Drum Circle.

And if anyone else is curious, Albions I and III make the bulk of the orchestral parts (a little bit of Albion UIST too).

Thanks again!

Hey thanks, for the info.

Nothing wrong with using pre made sounds! I'll have to check out those freebies you mentioned.

Cheers.

Top Bottom