Tell Me How I Could Improve This

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by aegisninja, May 15, 2019 at 3:13 PM.

1. aegisninja

aegisninja New Member

Oct 23, 2018
    So I composed this other day, and I guess I like it ok; but after composing I never really feel that since of accomplishment like I wrote something particularly good like I used to when I wrote songs in a punk band. So, tell me, how could I make this awesome instead of mediocre?

Sarah De Carlo likes this.
  2. Sarah De Carlo

Sarah De Carlo New Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Italy
    Try to work more on EQ and remove some reverb energy, I think it's too much.

3. JEPA

JEPA Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Germany
    it's too mono. Spread the instruments a little in the stereo field. (my first impression)

aegisninja likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    aegisninja

aegisninja New Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Ah, yes.... My first attempt at using reverb to blend different libraries. Definitely used way too much reverb.

Sarah De Carlo likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    aegisninja

aegisninja New Member

Oct 23, 2018
    I kind of felt this was the case as well, but I am using all pre-panned instruments I do believe, so I'm always kind of afraid I'm going to mess something up by messing with the panning.

6. Sarah De Carlo

Sarah De Carlo New Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Italy
    The best way to blend different libraries is working with eq to 'remove' excesses of muddness and reverberation, to add (then) a room to uniform them. Try this approach :)

aegisninja likes this.
  7. Tice

Tice Active Member

Jun 10, 2018
    My advice beyond what was already given by the others here would be to use much more of the orchestra. The entire woodwinds section is also at your fingertips, for instance. Use them to add color and detail, to change repeating sections in small ways. The orchestra has plenty more 'colors' to work with.

aegisninja likes this.
  8. JEPA

JEPA Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Germany
    don't be afraid. Experiment, nothing is going to break. Exaggerate your panning in different grades and observe what happens...