What's new

Teaser Out for iZotope RX 8

I’m hoping that this is going to be a more substantive upgrade than RX7, on which I think a lot of people passed.

It will be interesting to see whether iZotope’s focus on expanding the market for its products to musicians results in somewhat lower RX8 pricing.

Historically, iZotope has given a free upgrade to people who purchased RX just before the next version, so someone who purchases RX7 now would get a free upgrade to RX8. For RX6 Advanced owners, the current price for RX7 is US$400 :)

Last edited:
I have RX7 and it's one of the best plugins I've ever bought. I'm sure the next version will be great but this video shows absolutely nothing. When a teaser for a new Video Game or TV show or Film gets released I get really excited. I just don't have that same level of excitement with plugin teaser videos. It's interesting how this kind of "cinematic" marketing has become a norm for pretty much everything now.

I mean, I don't get excited when a new Claw Hammer is advertised at B&Q. Maybe I should? :laugh:

I’m one of those who passed on RX7 because the primary module I use most didn’t get much of a tweak.

However, I'm always interested in each new version to see what they’ve done and if it might be worth the upgrade.

I love RX and wouldn’t want to be without it, but so many of the modules are so good, it doesn't always feel like an upgrade is worth it (to me at least) unless there’s been some major overhaul. Certainly looking forward to their big reveal, though.

I also skipped 7 (had advanced since Rx3).
Unless something is a "must have", I take advantage of their liberal upgrade pricing (the same price if you skip one or two versions).
Over the years (had it since it was first introduced), I've probably skipped more versions than I've bought. That's worked out fine for me.

I hope they've added Dialogue Match to RX, and improved it a bit. It has the right idea it's just never been quite there for me, and having it Pro Tools only is a huge pain when you're using anything else. VST would work too but it feels better to just be totally in RX when you're doing RX things.

ut this video shows absolutely nothing. When a teaser for a new Video Game or TV show or Film gets released I get really excited. I just don't have that same level of excitement with plugin teaser videos. It's interesting how this kind of "cinematic" marketing has become a norm for pretty much everything now.

I mean, I don't get excited when a new Claw Hammer is advertised at B&Q. Maybe I should? :laugh:

The main market for RX just wants to know that a launch is coming. Then they want to see a list of features.

Last edited:
I’m one of those who passed on RX7

RX5 to RX6 brought huge improvements. RX7 was of interest to particular niches. I'm hoping that this will be major. My sense from RX7 is that they were hitting the limits of what they could do at the time, but they've had a lot of development time for RX8.

Last edited:
I have RX7 and it's one of the best plugins I've ever bought. I'm sure the next version will be great but this video shows absolutely nothing. When a teaser for a new Video Game or TV show or Film gets released I get really excited. I just don't have that same level of excitement with plugin teaser videos. It's interesting how this kind of "cinematic" marketing has become a norm for pretty much everything now.

I have the elements version and IT's one of the best plugins I've ever bought.

By the way... a What’s New In RX8 video is up:

What’s New in RX8

That video is unlisted. Where did you find out about it? If it's accurate, there isn't a whole lot in RX 8 of interest to film and video sound editors, who are the product's main market. Very odd.

That's Geoff Manchester doing the voice over, who does all the iZotope videos, so there isn't much doubt about the video's authenticity. But sound editors watching this will be saying WTF.

The video also doesn't look to me like a final cut.

Last edited:
That video is unlisted. Where did you find out about it? If it's accurate, there isn't a whole lot in RX 8 of interest to film and video sound editors, who are the product's main market. Very odd.

That's Geoff Manchester doing the voice over, who does all the iZotope videos, so there isn't much doubt about the video's authenticity. But sound editors watching this will be saying WTF.

The video also doesn't look to me like a final cut.

I’m a member of an RX Facebook group and the guy who runs it is a pro with RX. I imagine he got advanced notice and possibly gave out the link early. That video also links to an RX8 page, but sharing the video on FB might have been pre-mature on the guy’s part.

Based on the video and what I saw on the site, I’ll likely pass on this version.

whoa, that's two "greatest plugins I ever bought" comments in this thread alone!

just curious what makes it this awesome? what is your favorite part? what do you use it for most? Is it best for just working with live recordings and/ or can you use it on orchestra mockups with sample libraries?

I bought it earlier this year and haven't really explored it yet, so any input on what are the gems here and where to apply them would be valuable! thanks!

Based on the video and what I saw on the site, I’ll likely pass on this version.

That was my initial thought, but my upgrade price from RX6 Advanced to RX8 Advanced is not bad: $300.

Does anyone know what the upgrade price is from RX7 Advanced to RX8 Advanced?

Last edited:
I have the elements version and IT's one of the best plugins I've ever bought.

It is easily one of the best plugins ever made. It’s one of these things that many won’t realise they need it... till they need it.

Some noise on a Snare? Someone coughing in background? A noise literally on top of an Acoustic Guitar? Mouth noises beyond sibilance? Room hum? Guitar hum? Wind in Dialogue? General sonic Dog Shit that needs Removing whilst keeping harmonics intact?

RX can get rid of all that. No hassle. Without a doubt I’ll be buying RX8. But that video did nothing for me. Maybe if they showed a Lute player perching on a stone in the basin of Niagra Falls and demonstrates removing the water and thunder noise then my skirt would have blown right up! 😂

That was my initial thought, but my upgrade price from RX6 Advanced to RX8 Advanced is not bad: $300.

Does anyone know what the upgrade price is from RX7 Advanced to RX8 Advanced?

Yeah, mine from 6 to 8 is also $300. (Advanced)

I’m just guessing, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that was the same price from 7 to 8 because when I was considering a 6 to 7 upgrade, it was that price.

What’s nice is that you can apparently upgrade but still use an earlier version if you need to. (At least that’s what they told me some months back.)

Because unless I hear more about tweaks to the other modules, I’m hesitant to mess with a workflow that works for me, even at a great price. Right now they’re focusing on the new stuff, but as the weeks go on, there might be more about smaller improvements to the other modules.

Between that info and initial feedback on the new features, my credit card might be tempted to make an appearance.

I’m just guessing, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that was the same price from 7 to 8 because when I was considering a 6 to 7 upgrade, it was that price.

What’s nice is that you can apparently upgrade but still use an earlier version if you need to. (At least that’s what they told me some months back.)

Because unless I hear more about tweaks to the other modules, I’m hesitant to mess with a workflow that works for me, even at a great price. Right now they’re focusing on the new stuff, but as the weeks go on, there might be more about smaller improvements to the other modules.

Between that info and initial feedback on the new features, my credit card might be tempted to make an appearance.
iZotope products traditionally install as separate plug-ins per numerical version, so you should have no problem co-using these unless they’ve changed their process.

There is no problem installing more than one version of RX. I've done it myself. Some people here don't really understand what RX is. It is a standalone app, not a plugin. With some DAWs, but not all, it's possible to round-trip with it. Round-tripping is not the same thing as what a plugin does. Some features of RX only work stand-alone. Using RX in conjunction with a film/video editor, editing sound for film/video being what it was designed for, is a whole other issue.

For me, two of the attractions of RX8 is that I can use it to process multichannel and 32-bit files. These are relatively recent needs that I'm currently handling outside RX. Handling these needs within RX will save time. By 32-bit processing, I mean the ability to process audio from certain Sound Devices and Zoom recorders that peaks above 0dB and is therefore clipped without special processing.

I expect that iZotope will release several videos over the next week on RX8 features. Most of these appear to be further incremental improvements on RX6. The features that are actually new will mostly interest musicians/music engineers. That said, my initial feeling is that there's enough there for me to pay $300 for an upgrade to RX8.

Last edited:
Some noise on a Snare? Someone coughing in background? A noise literally on top of an Acoustic Guitar? Mouth noises beyond sibilance? Room hum? Guitar hum? Wind in Dialogue? General sonic Dog Shit that needs Removing whilst keeping harmonics intact?

RX can get rid of all that. No hassle.

"No hassle" may be overstating things a bit. There's quite a learning curve to using RX effectively, and in many cases it can improve sound but not fully fix the problem. To take one of your examples, dealing with wind hits on a dialogue track is quite a big problem. It isn't "click on an RX button" and the problem magically goes away.

There are also cases where one might prefer a manual approach. Geoff Manchester, who makes iZotope's videos, says in one of the videos on his personal channel that he prefers to deal with breaths manually. I happen to agree with him, and I've been using RX since RX3 :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom