Teaser Out for iZotope RX 8

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
"No hassle" may be overstating things a bit. There's quite a learning curve to using RX effectively, and in many cases it can improve sound but not fully fix the problem. To take one of your examples, dealing with wind hits on a dialogue track is quite a big problem. It isn't "click on an RX button" and the problem magically goes away.

There are also cases where one might prefer a manual approach. Geoff Manchester, who makes iZotope's videos, says in one of the videos on his personal channel that he prefers to deal with breaths manually. I happen to agree with him, and I've been using RX since RX3 :)
I haven’t once said “click a button”.

Anyway. Yeah cool. Next release will be great no doubt.

OP
Rory

Rory

Amateur Auteur
I haven’t once said “click a button”.

Anyway. Yeah cool. Next release will be great no doubt.
I think that you know perfectly well, as a matter of basic English usage, that putting quotation marks around that phrase was not about quoting you verbatim.

There is at least one person in this thread who has asked what RX does and what's involved in learning it. As someone who has used RX for many years, I don't want people to think that it can fix the problems that you listed, some of them quite complicated, "No hassle". That is a direct quote :)

OP
Rory

Rory

Amateur Auteur
Yeah, mine from 6 to 8 is also $300. (Advanced)

I’m just guessing, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that was the same price from 7 to 8 because when I was considering a 6 to 7 upgrade, it was that price.
Looks like you're right and that the upgrade from any RX Advanced to RX8 Advanced is $300.

OP
Rory

Rory

Amateur Auteur
iZotope is doing a full court press to market RX beyond its core film/video user base. All four of the videos that it uploaded this morning are directed at musicians/engineers and podcasters. There are also lots of YouTube "influencers" posting videos with pretty much the same focus.

At some point, iZotope will post videos that tell film/video sound editors and designers why they should upgrade. Nothing yet. I guess the idea is to target potential new users/markets first.

Last edited:

PeterBaumann

I skipped RX6 & 7 and have been using 5 with no issues since it came out. Very tempted to upgrade to RX8 for $299, and I'm even considering the jump to $499 for the suite of post plugins.

Nectar 2 is still one of my favourites, and there are some nice tools thrown in that bundle too which, for the $200 extra, seems pretty reasonable. Insight 1 is currently broken on the newest version of Logic (Logic crashes if you try and reconfigure certain elements) and iZotope's rather unhelpful response was to 'buy Insight 2' o_O

kmaster

I skipped RX6 & 7 and have been using 5 with no issues since it came out. Very tempted to upgrade to RX8 for $299, and I'm even considering the jump to $499 for the suite of post plugins.

Nectar 2 is still one of my favourites, and there are some nice tools thrown in that bundle too which, for the $200 extra, seems pretty reasonable. Insight 1 is currently broken on the newest version of Logic (Logic crashes if you try and reconfigure certain elements) and iZotope's rather unhelpful response was to 'buy Insight 2' o_O
It should be free...

easyrider

iZotope is doing a full court press to market RX beyond its core film/video user base. All four of the videos that it uploaded this morning are directed at musicians/engineers and podcasters. There are also lots of YouTube "influencers" posting videos with pretty much the same focus.

At some point, iZotope will post videos that tell film/video sound editors and designers why they should upgrade. Nothing yet. I guess the idea is to target potential new users/markets first.
I bought Music Production suite last year and it came with RX7...now if you buy music production suite it doesn’t ...

OP
Rory

Rory

Amateur Auteur

Just realise that Post-Production Suite locks you into a package upgrade. That's why I don't own it.

I think that InSight 2 has real benefits over the original. I purchased it on sale for US$99. If you don't purchase the Post-Production package, maybe wait for the next time it's discounted.

Last edited:
OP
Rory

Rory

Amateur Auteur
I bought Music Production suite last year and it came with RX7...now if you buy music production suite it doesn’t ...
I'm curious, did it include Standard or Advanced? Are you being offered a preferential upgrade price to RX8?

Virtuoso

Socially Distant Member
Not according to the 'Coming Soon' page for MPS4. Halfway down it says "Includes the NEW RX 8 Standard, with an improved Music Rebalance and more."

If you buy/upgrade to MPS3 now, you get a free upgrade to MPS4 when it is released.

OP
Rory

Rory

Amateur Auteur
Here are two reasons why I'll upgrade from RX6 Advanced to RX8 Advanced in the next couple of days.

The first screen capture is a stereo recording with two mikes spaced AB and a third centre mike. Lately, I've been recording with as many as five microphones. RX6 can only process two channels.

The second screen capture is a major storm that I recorded with quite new technology that makes clipping a non-issue, which is good, because an awful lot of the peaks in the photo are above 0dB. RX8 works with this technology, which means that I don't have to take a file like this into another application.

I only started needing these features about five months ago. I held off on buying RX7, figuring that RX8 would be released this month. Sure enough :)

Playing with the RX8 trial version today, it's also noticeably zippier.

For US$300, I'm in.

Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 15.14.25.jpg

Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 15.26.56.jpg

Last edited:

Technostica

Insight 1 is currently broken on the newest version of Logic (Logic crashes if you try and reconfigure certain elements) and iZotope's rather unhelpful response was to 'buy Insight 2' o_O
If the fault is on Apple's side then why should iZotope fix an old version?
With all the changes with macOS and Logic I am on the side of the developers.

OP
Rory

Rory

Amateur Auteur
I just purchased an RX6 Advanced to RX8 Advanced upgrade from JRR. This is my first time dealing with them. U.S. and Canadian purchasers who are figuring on $299 plus tax will discover that JRR is an attractive option. The transaction went fine. No delay at all in RX8 authorisation via the iZotope Product Portal. This is the VI-Control JRR thread: https://vi-control.net/community/th...nd-music-production-suite.97958/#post-4632807

Weslake Pro has posted a good video on using RX8 to address problems in recordings of the human voice. The video deals with run of the mill issues, nothing complicated, and I like the stress on using good judgment. It sounds like Westlake will be doing more of these.

Last edited:

MikeK

this sounds nice
While I don’t have a work-related use for it, I used to always want to remove vocals from rock songs and have instrumental versions. Not sure I would justify $300 just for that, but if I do end up upgrading for other reasons, removing vocals is the first thing I’m playing with.