What's new

Tape Emulation Plugins. Give me your experiences

All the current ones I have i.e Slate VTM, Softube, Satin sound better than my old Otari 1" did. If you aren't laying back onto a pristine Studer or fully restored MCI JH or a characterful MM1200-- you can't really lose with current plugin options. I use VTM when mixing on occasion, and in mastering I very rarely use any of them as people saturate their mixes so much (often). I like Slate as it is pretty well behaved and the head bump feels about right. Satin is nice if you want to *redacted* something up.

Hornet Tape..currently on sale for 8 Euros..I just bought it, but haven't tried it out. Had some good reviews.

This thing is dope! I was totally unaware of this vendor, but they appear to have more cool stuff for extremely affordable price points...

@ThomCSounds has a new Facebook group where he spotlights weekly deals. He has posted a link to a survey (which can be done in 30 seconds) that earns you an EXTRA 30% discount. He also mentions some other cool plugins from Hornet.

Thanks @YaniDee!

This thing is dope! I was totally unaware of this vendor, but they appear to have more cool stuff for extremely affordable price points...

@ThomCSounds has a new Facebook group where he spotlights weekly deals. He has posted a link to a survey (which can be done in 30 seconds) that earns you an EXTRA 30% discount. He also mentions some other cool plugins from Hornet.

Thanks @YaniDee!

Hornet have regular almost weekly sales but the extra 30% makes it particularly good. There are lots of plugins on there.

I haven’t used them yet but Hornet has a great reputation,great prices even when they don’t have these frequent sales.
I recently bought Auto Gain VU meter and the Normalizer,these are touted as great for gain staging.
One plugin everyone raves about that I’m about to purchase is Hornet 31.
fwiw besides having useful plugins at amazing prices Hornet doesn’t believe or use any kind of authorization method so all you need to do is download and install.

With the sale and the extra survey discount in my opinion Hornet is in no-brainer territory.

Good luck 👍

Last edited:
Any ones you’d recommend?
Thirty one is old but well rated to help with mastering. They have a new version MasterTool but it is not very stable according to forum posts. Nothing else really interested me but they do have choruses, delay, reverbs etc, all very cheap. Just not sure they will do anything better over what you have or the free meldaproductions ones.

I haven’t used them yet but Hornet has a great reputation,great prices even when they don’t have these frequent sales.
I recently bought Auto Gain VU meter and the Normalizer,these are touted as great for gain staging.
One plugin everyone raves about that I’m about to purchase is Hornet 31.
fwiw besides having useful plugins at amazing prices Hornet doesn’t believe or use any kind of authorization method so all you need to do is download and install.

With the sale and the extra survey discount in my opinion Hornet is in no-brained territory.

Good luck 👍
Gain staging is still a bit of a mystery to me, so want sure if I needed those plugins or not but they are very cheap

p.s. I just bought Thirty One for 5.60 Euro ($6.58) with the extra survey discount applied.
With all of the raves and love for this plugin I just couldn’t resist! 😊

Gain staging is still a bit of a mystery to me, so want sure if I needed those plugins or not but they are very cheap
Well, metering is very helpful if your goal is to have all tracks to have a common “pre-fader” gain below 0dB to allow for some headroom

There are so many related to auto gain, did you go for auto gain Pro MK2?
Yes, that one. And now I am seriously done! I swear the only things left to buy now are Infinite Strings and Century Strings 2.0 update...

Top Bottom