What's new

Tape Emulation Plugins. Give me your experiences

ALERT! IK Tape Machines IS ON SALE!

Cool, for this price I’d grab it. I’ve used it for a month now (mastering only) and am extremely impressed. Waiting for a sale on the Sunset Sound Studio Reverb now haha. Because I want to sound like Led Zep, Doors, Beach Boys and Vanhalen!

Cool, for this price I’d grab it. I’ve used it for a month now (mastering only) and am extremely impressed. Waiting for a sale on the Sunset Sound Studio Reverb now haha. Because I want to sound like Led Zep, Doors, Beach Boys and Vanhalen!

ALERT!
Sunset Sound Studio Reverb IS ON SALE!

I think now it's the time to spend on this with the VI Group buy! For now you buy one and can get two one plugin free...

I think now it's the time to spend on this with the VI Group buy! For now you buy one and can get two plugis free...

I agree, but these T-RackS elements are not part of the group buy. They have a pretty restricted offering of merely instruments this time unfortunately...

I agree, but these T-RackS elements are not part of the group buy. They have a pretty restricted offering of merely instruments this time unfortunately...
Oh I didn't know, at least you can buy Sunset Studio Reverb discounted!

I like Softube Harmonics Analog Saturation Processor.
Based on some of the answers of this thread I did get Softube Tape, which is also very nice - albeit subtle. I also got a load of other stuff (Kazrog True Iron, all Waves tapes, all IK tapes, Klanghelm etc.). It has made a difference in my mixes. The cliché image of “glue” is a justified one, it seems.

Based on my positive experiences with Softube, I will look into your suggestion. Thanks!

Based on some of the answers of this thread I did get Softube Tape, which is also very nice - albeit subtle. I also got a load of other stuff (Kazrog True Iron, all Waves tapes, all IK tapes, Klanghelm etc.). It has made a difference in my mixes. The cliché image of “glue” is a justified one, it seems.

Based on my positive experiences with Softube, I will look into your suggestion. Thanks!

You are welcome.

Me too,, I am waiting for their huge discount :)
Target: TLA-100A, Abbey Road Brilliance Pack, FET Compressor, Harmonics Saturation, Tube Tech Collection, Summit EQ, Passive-Active Pack. :shocked:

So would you say there are large differences soundwise between brands, models or for instance >8 year old Waves stuff versus ultramodern IK stuff? Have the modeling techniques advanced? Is there one model to end all other models? Or is it pretty much a psycho-acoustic affair, where personal preferences play a large role.

As for the glue effect, yes possibly one really merely needs an EQ and a saturation plugin after all?
There is a dramatic difference in sound between several of the tape emulations that I have, some of which have been mentioned here: Slate VTM, the two Waves models previously mentioned, UA Studer, Oxide and ATR 102 models, Steinberg magneto tape model, Ozone 9.

To my ears, none of them sound exactly like analog tape. The Waves stuff sounds nothing like tape to my ears, yet is useful sometimes. The VTM is heavy handed. The most versatile and, for me, useable are the UA models.

I recently listened to some demos of Acoustica Adio Taupe. The examples sounded very convincing to me. I have a lot of outboard gear that I would gladly part with if there were plugins that could truly cross the uncanny valley. Acoustica may have done this with Taupe. I need to DL the demo version and play with it when I have the time.

Top Bottom