What's new

Tap tempo in real time in Cubase?

Thank you Jamie Lang. But could you explain a bit more about this? What do you mean by "doing a human time Midi track", and what so you mean by "setting it to linear time"? Sorry, I'm easily lost with this kind of things.
Musical timebase = locked to measure grid/tempo
Linear timebase = locked to time/minutes:seconds

Linear is great when you want a track that ignores any changes to tempo or the measure grid. Especially great for marker tracks that are supposed to be synced to a video. Don't want those sliding around when you change the tempo.

If you want quick access, its track control is hidden by default on certain track types but you can add it and configure its placement like this:

1582012331111.png
1582012424655.png

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to add it to the track controls unless you don't keep the inspector open. It's in the inspector. Little button with a note(for musical mode) or clock (linear time).

Hi everyone,

Would someone know if there is a way of making a tempo track by tapping the tempo during the playing of midi tracks? I mean: writing your song on a more or less fixed tempo, then act like a conductor to make the tempo changes in real time, not by drawing it little by little? I think I remember there was something like that on other DAW or notation editor, I'm afraid it doesn't exist in Cubase, I just wanted to check with you.

Thanks for your answers,

Benjamin

MOTU's Digital Performer
- Jeff

i was just looking for this feature and found this thread on Google. Too bad it's not on Cubase. I miss it from my DP days. Weird that hasn't been implemented yet for film scoring, t's super useful. Maybe a wish list for next ver?

Ableton live is the most tap tempo friendly thing I’ve seen.

For Cubase, I developed a method where I use a button to tap in markers to the picture I’m watching, creating a bunch of spaced markers. I then delete some that I don’t need to smooth out the space, choosing a starting one and a closing one for a phrase, then I use the warp mode and drag the measures where I want them using snap to events. It works very well and I’m totally happy with it.

As far as taking a track and just straight up conducting its playback live, I’m pretty sure only ableton has this feature on the level you want. I would put the music in ableton, and then it has a follow ext tempo feature. It’s designed to follow a live drummer. It would make sense you could conduct the tracks. No idea how it works with time signature changes and drastic tempo changes.

Im moving house those weekend, but I will experiment with it and let you know, as I’m curious myself. It would be an interesting way for me to practice conducting an orchestra outside of rehearsal depending on how accurate it really is with live input.

Top Bottom