What's new

Tallinn: Voices and strings. Single instruments available!

I haven’t tried using Tallinn with Spitfire libraries yet, I blend Tallinn with mostly VSL. The choirs and strings blend surprisingly well with most of the libraries out there, the church ambiance provides naturalness of the instruments. The legato transitions for strings are exquisite and very well performed, I can do strings ostinato with it. Now Tallinn is permanently sitting in my template, I love this library.

The non/low vibrato character of the Tallinn strings makes them a bit harder to layer than is the case of the choir, which I find blends well with most other libraries.

For testing the strings I’ve done most of my experiments so far with Berlin Strings Special Bows sul tasto legato. The cellos generally sit nicely together. The violins sometimes fight, especially when using the main legato. The main legato works surprisingly well for accompaniment patterns. As some have noted it often works as well as libraries with round robin legato intervals designed for these kinds of repeated intervals.

In general the single bows expressive with the legato engaged has layered better than the main legato for connected melodic ideas. The single bows expressive with legato is my preferred articulation when writing melodically for the library alone as well. When doing so you have to think about bowing and allow legato breaks where bow changes would occur.

Great sounding library, I am quite satisfied.

However, in the "Syllables short" articulation of the female choirs there is inconsistent attack timing on individual RR syllables, especially noticeable at a slow tempo. Each syllable therefore requires different offsets to sound in time. »That's no problem«, you might think, »then I'll adjust individual notes by hand in the MIDI editor«. Wrong, because you don't have control over which syllable sounds when. A sequence that is perfectly timed may be out of time the next time it is played if it starts with a different syllable.

So far, this makes it very hard for me to create a precisely timed staccato phrase. Direct control over the syllables would be really great here, at least a programmable way to reset them to a defined initial state.

Great sounding library, I am quite satisfied.

However, in the "Syllables short" articulation of the choirs there is inconsistent attack timing on individual RR syllables, especially noticeable at a slow tempo. Each syllable therefore requires different offsets to sound in time. »That's no problem«, you might think, »then I'll adjust individual notes by hand in the MIDI editor«. Wrong, because you don't have control over which syllable sounds when. A sequence that is perfectly timed may be out of time the next time it is played if it starts with a different syllable.

So far, this makes it very hard for me to create a precisely timed staccato phrase. Direct control over the syllables would be really great here, at least a programmable way to reset them to a defined initial state.

As long as you aren't using random RR you will have the same syllables playing at the same time.

You might have to wait the full amount of time for the RR to reset while tweaking if you don't opt for one of the other options mentioned(seperating each RR)

As long as you aren't using random RR you will have the same syllables playing at the same time.
I am not using random RR. The problem arises especially while editing phrases, when you don't start a sequence at the same place and/or you don't wait each time until the "Reset after" parameter has triggered.
You might have to wait the full amount of time for the RR to reset while tweaking if you don't opt for one of the other options mentioned(seperating each RR)
Separating each RR to individual tracks would help indeed, I guess. Sorry if this has already been discussed, could have missed it.

Last edited:
I've had the library since release date, and I haven't even played through the organs yet. I've taken the choir for a couple of spins, but I'm completely obsessed with the strings, and using them along with Berlin Strings Special Bows and Tundra strings. I'm not even completely sure why I'm finding these strings so fun and inspiring to work with.

I've had the library since release date, and I haven't even played through the organs yet. I've taken the choir for a couple of spins, but I'm completely obsessed with the strings, and using them along with Berlin Strings Special Bows and Tundra strings. I'm not even completely sure why I'm finding these strings so fun and inspiring to work with.
I'd wager that ark 2 and chamber evos would work well as well.

I'd wager that ark 2 and chamber evos would work well as well.
Ark 2 could indeed substitute for Special Bows or Tundra, and they are indeed in the template I built to play around with the strings and choir, as is OACE. I've tried Ark 2 a bit, and it doesn't sit with Tallinn quite as well as either Special Bows or Tundra—at least for the kinds of things I've been doing, which has been focused on augmenting the Tallinn strings rather than using Tallinn as part of a general ensemble. The Tallinn strings have certain fragilities and peculiarities that I'm finding most inspiring. And like Tundra and Special Bows, the library is engineered for low dynamics. I find the Tallinn strings seem to also be engineered for rendering accompaniment figures more than carrying the main thematic material, and that adds a nice tension as well. But it also means that the strings invite supplementation by other libraries.

So I think that I am going to spring for the two choirs and the organ as individual instruments. I don't need the other organ, and I already have several string libraries. The extra cost would be $74 EU for the strings and the other organ. I'm not sure if I would use them.

Scarlet Jerry

hey ya'll-- sorry for the potentially obvious question, i'm fairly new to the OT stuff

anyone know where I can find the user manuals? just want to read through and see if there's anything worth noting. tried the website obviously, but unless I'm a dummy (always likely) I don't see it anywhere.

I believe these pages function as OT's manuals. Could be wrong and maybe there are more detailed PDF versions somewhere.

a manual is normally for guide the user, the beginning words 'beautifully sampled' doesnt' inspire confidence... Nothing about strings (the ranges would be useful) but a list of organ patches and very useful list of syllables you have to work with. Not all the material is at the level of their promotional videos but apart the legato artefacts (which will maybe be corrected) I find the sounding really inspiring, and it is the best i can ask for a library.

Last edited:
Can’t afford it now but I hope you could just buy women’s choir alone and complete the collection later. It sounds fantastic!!
I'm curious if the choir can do soft. Almost all choirs and even solo vocal libraries cannot do soft. I love the sound of what I've heard and would buy just the women's Choir for a project. That Arvo Part soft vibe.

I'm curious if the choir can do soft. Almost all choirs and even solo vocal libraries cannot do soft. I love the sound of what I've heard and would buy just the women's Choir for a project. That Arvo Part soft vibe.
I would say the choir, like the strings, is mostly geared to the soft side. The organ somewhat less so, though, even there, the majority of the stops are set up for soft playing.

The choir has two dynamic layers on most articulations, labeled by OT as p and mf.

Top Bottom