What's new

Tallinn: Voices and strings. Single instruments available!

Tallin is an immense inspiration in this particular style of minimalist sacred music. You can do "similar" things with other libraries, but still be far away from touchung exactly what Tallin does. The library delivers in a uniquely beautiful and authentic manner. It just sings.

I went for the most noisy sound with lots of sorround mics :)

Edit: I think one can get pretty good phrasing with the syllables by disabling certain RRs that bother in a particular line. In addition to that I will implement workarounds to additionally choose certain syllables with keyswitches. I wholeheartedly agree that a syllable / legato combination would be great. I understand though that it is not easy to deliver.
I tried really hard to hear the noise and failed! XD The ambiance simply adds to the realism, it embraces the sound and transports us to the middle of Niguliste. One of the most impressive libraries I heard in a long long time, hope OT keeps the streak going.

I imagine this would be almost impossible because, as far as I understand it, the legato transitions are the same transitions no matter which articulation you link them to and for the syllables with legato to sound convincing you would need dedicated legato samples for each syllable because the attack of each one is very different.
I wouldn't want a new syllable on a new note attack though, just the ability to prolong the sustain of one over several notes.

Really, an entirely new vol 2 with Genesis styles syllables, polyphony legato, and maybe an additional pp layer, and really just more of the same ... would be the Mother of All No Brainers (vol 2).

Here's a silly little noodle which I think demonstrates a couple of key things I'm finding about the musicality of the strings:

It uses mostly the single bows and the portatos each with /w legato turned on. Note that this isn't playable with the default patch, you have to set it up in Sine yourself. Which is odd, as accessing the different arcs really adds enormously to the musicality of phrases you can draw out of this.

In fact I think that keyswitching between single bow + portato (/w legato) is going to be my default way to use this library, it's just got such a lovely expressiveness. I like the default legato, but it's a very different effect.

A second point is the dynamics. We have two layers to work with here, p and mf. Combine that with the relative lack of progressive vibrato, and on the main legato, you find that you just don't get remotely the same kind of crescendo bloom that you get in nearly every other strings library (ie. this is *not* CSS). You can try to force conventional romantic phrasings out of it, and it sometime sort of works (though as if under duress), but this library just isn't made for that romantic mod-wheel swell.

Yet when you're using the arcs as well as the mod wheel in crafting the dynamic dimension of expressiveness, then the choice of these two dynamics layers somehow makes perfect sense. I don't quite know how to describe it. It just works.

The round robins are also very nice to have here also in faster passages.

Third, the sound. Which presumably speaks entirely for itself here. It's just incredible, I've never heard such a raw presence of strings. Lots of close mic here, and I can't ever imagine not wanting to have the close mic cranked.

Then we have the textural patches - here the soft sustains and dyanamic waves towards the end. I have lots of gorgeous textural libraries. But what's particularly remarkable here is just how the textural + the arcs + the legatos - ie the spectrum from broad to very fine brush stokes - all blend so seamlessly.

Last edited:
Debating whether to just buy the choir libraries. I have a 8Dio’s Insolidus which sounds very similar. Anyone else with the same dilemma?

Scarlet Jerry

Debating whether to just buy the choir libraries. I have a 8Dio’s Insolidus which sounds very similar. Anyone else with the same dilemma?

Scarlet Jerry
Debated long and hard on this one. I thought I wasn't really into organs and I've spent a small fortune on string libraries recently (Afflatus, SSS, CSS) so another chamber strings library didn't excite me. I finally caved in to the fact it was a good introductory price and so many were raving about it (Daniel James did a good job on me too with his 2 hour live stream).

I'm so glad I did because I've been so pleasantly surprised at just how good this library is. The choir is beautiful and the organ (you get two) sounds awesome but the thing that impresses me most is how well the three main sections (Choir, Strings and Organ) blend in so well together to give that wonderful ethereal organic sound and how well they blend in with other libraries, particularly the strings. I've blended them with all three of the above libraries and they sound incredible.

I can't do anything but recommend buying the whole package.

I finally had a couple of hours to try and put a quick sketch together. Everything is Tallinn, no effects, no eq (I'm too much of a newb to risk ruining the gorgeous sound with eq!)

I love this library. My music is always inspired by nature and I prefer intimate and simple tracks but I still wouldn't normally have written something like this.

To the pro's and advanced, please excuse the rough edges and mistakes - I'm a beginner! :)

I finally had a couple of hours to try and put a quick sketch together. Everything is Tallinn, no effects, no eq (I'm too much of a newb to risk ruining the gorgeous sound with eq!)

I love this library. My music is always inspired by nature and I prefer intimate and simple tracks but I still wouldn't normally have written something like this.

To the pro's and advanced, please excuse the rough edges and mistakes - I'm a beginner! :)

This is beautiful. For a two hour sketch I think the "rough edges" are quite well masked by the ambience and overall sound of the library.

Can't wait to dive properly into this library, it's genuinely inspirational.

Debated long and hard on this one. I thought I wasn't really into organs and I've spent a small fortune on string libraries recently (Afflatus, SSS, CSS) so another chamber strings library didn't excite me. I finally caved in to the fact it was a good introductory price and so many were raving about it (Daniel James did a good job on me too with his 2 hour live stream).

I'm so glad I did because I've been so pleasantly surprised at just how good this library is. The choir is beautiful and the organ (you get two) sounds awesome but the thing that impresses me most is how well the three main sections (Choir, Strings and Organ) blend in so well together to give that wonderful ethereal organic sound and how well they blend in with other libraries, particularly the strings. I've blended them with all three of the above libraries and they sound incredible.

this is what I was afraid of, lol! my assumptions are correct here, guess I will have to buy the whole thing!

I'm too much of a newb to risk ruining the gorgeous sound with eq
That's how you know a library is special, your track sounds heavenly, like really good (I wouldn't say so otherwise) and Tallinn made it possible for you to focus on your beautiful musical ideas instead of the buzz-kill tech stuff. The only thing that I would give a bit more polish is the shorts starting at 1:06 (timing and releases) but that's just a really nitpicky nitpick comment and does not take any awesome points from your track :thumbsup:

Tallin is an immense inspiration in this particular style of minimalist sacred music. You can do "similar" things with other libraries, but still be far away from touchung exactly what Tallin does. The library delivers in a uniquely beautiful and authentic manner. It just sings.

I went for the most noisy sound with lots of sorround mics :)

Edit: I think one can get pretty good phrasing with the syllables by disabling certain RRs that bother in a particular line. In addition to that I will implement workarounds to additionally choose certain syllables with keyswitches. I wholeheartedly agree that a syllable / legato combination would be great. I understand though that it is not easy to deliver.
Hey this is great, nice work. I think this is a really good example of how to use this library effectively.

Regarding this artifact issue I was investigating a bit further and it is NOT only minor thirds. I reported the following already to OT support:

Violin Sustains+LEG
Hey, just briefly sidetracking the thread to say it's nice to see you VI-C again...always found your music to be stellar quality. Hope you stick around and share some of your current work!

Hey, just briefly sidetracking the thread to say it's nice to see you VI-C again...always found your music to be stellar quality. Hope you stick around and share some of your current work!
Thanks alot for the kind words!

That's how you know a library is special, your track sounds heavenly, like really good (I wouldn't say so otherwise) and Tallinn made it possible for you to focus on your beautiful musical ideas instead of the buzz-kill tech stuff. The only thing that I would give a bit more polish is the shorts starting at 1:06 (timing and releases) but that's just a really nitpicky nitpick comment and does not take any awesome points from your track :thumbsup:
Hey, thanks very much for the kind words and advice. I'll PM you about the shorts if that's ok, so as not to turn this thread into a tutorial! :)

Oh no! That's not the answer that I was looking for haha! I just wanted to know about the choirs, not spend more money on the whole library. :)

I already have Liberis, Insolidus, Requiem Light, 8Dio Studio Sopranos, Mercury, and Olympus Elements. I'm wondering if Tallinn would would give me something that I don't already have. I was only looking at the women's voices, maybe the men as well, but now I will look at the rest of the library.

Scarlet Jerry

I already have Liberis, Insolidus, Requiem Light, 8Dio Studio Sopranos, Mercury, and Olympus Elements. I'm wondering if Tallinn would would give me something that I don't already have.
That's what I asked myself, playing with Insolidus und Requiem Light ( in comparison to Tallinn).
Requiem is not 10% near Tallinn Choir. Insolidus is great, but it can't get there. But vice versa is also true.
The dynamics and room , (although just 2 dynamics) are outstanding and unique.
Not reproducable with reverb.

Oh no! That's not the answer that I was looking for haha! I just wanted to know about the choirs, not spend more money on the whole library. :)

I already have Liberis, Insolidus, Requiem Light, 8Dio Studio Sopranos, Mercury, and Olympus Elements. I'm wondering if Tallinn would would give me something that I don't already have. I was only looking at the women's voices, maybe the men as well, but now I will look at the rest of the library.

Scarlet Jerry
As I commented on another poster wondering if it would be possible to mimic Tallinn with one of OT's Ark choirs: you could technically shape the sonic envelope of one of the samples from any of these libraries to get in the "ball park" of Tallinns straight articulations but that's as far as you'll get!

Tallinn's sound, even with the straight sustain articulations, stems from the unique marriage of the Tallinn singers singing style captured in that Niguliste church: without either element it wouldn't be Tallinn!

So yes! Tallinn would definitely bring you a different choral flavour but only if you are aware of why you would seek it's very particular choral timbre to fulfil a certain roll within any given composition.

Also you're getting arguably one of the most beautifully captured church/cathedral organ libraries ever plus an extremely useful strings library to boot!

To my ears Tallinn offers a very unique yet highly usable set of instruments. I believe, once this library has been updated to iron out a few technicalities that have already been pointed out by early adopters, this library will become a classic but also a library that can in fact be used to great aplomb without necessarily being instantly recognisable: something which for those composers looking to maintain their own unique sonic footprint is a rare tool to have to hand!

Last edited:
I think it should be relatively easy to set up the SINE player to select syllables using keyswitches:

1. Load the syllables articulation multiple times on the same channel in SINE player, once for each syllable you want.
2. Deactivate all but one syllable so there is a different syllable remaining in each one.
3. Use keyswitches to switch between them at will.
This sounds good. But how do I deactivate the syllables?
Edit: Ah, never mind. Got it figured out.

Last edited:
TLDR: Can Tallinn be effective combined with Ark 2 to create the type of dark/industrial orchestral music that Ark 2 is meant for?

I know a user recently asked here about making Ark 2 sound like Tallinn. I'm kind of wondering the converse question. Tallinn sounds beautiful but I'm more interested in composing the type of "dark/industrial orchestral" music typical of the Arks (and especially Ark 2) than the types of tracks in the official list of Tallinn demos. Do you guys feel that Tallinn can be used effectively with libs like Ark 2 for that dark, brooding orchestral type of music? My sense is probably yes but my only concern is that perhaps aspects of the way Tallinn was recorded (the room, etc) may make it not blend well with other libs like Ark 2. Thanks for any input.

Top Bottom