What's new

Talk to me about Percussion Libraries

Amazing. Thank you. Lot to consider here.
I think Berlin and Spitfire Redux are what you're after if you want a natural sound. They're both more situated in a room and not made to pop as much. I own Berlin and it's got a lot of options for the drums, especially snares and bass drum (although it doesn't really have to option to hit closer to the center or rim like you mentioned). Spitfire, from what I've gathered, is stronger with the pitched section.

Berlin costs more and is more deeply sampled, though they charge extra to buy the timpani. Common criticisms of both libraries are the amount of room baked in, and for Berlin there can be some noise buildup. I consider these to be the trade off for the natural sound.

Last edited:
I have Synchron, Redux & CinePerc. Not sure in what way Synchron would be more "sterile". None of these have been processed afaik. Synchron has many more options (mallets, playing technics, etc.).
There's also a sale currently on Synchron Perc.

Amazing. Thank you. Lot to consider here.

To add to The Darris, there are a few others that do samples closer to the edge:
Flying Hand Perc has been around for a while, so maybe you know it already, but I like how all the instruments have samples from the different parts of each drum:
https://www.handheldsound.com/instruments/fhp/#*
This video gives insight in case you haven't heard of it. It's now old enough that it's been on sale for half off regularly and has had a VSTbuzz sale at $59, which is where I think I jumped in. More real natural tone than hyped, but just ethnic and aux perc.

My favorite Perc library is CinePerc, because it has almost everything and that wonderful stage with beautiful mics, but I don't think it has multiple parts of the heads sampled, which is what you would need. Great idea for a next gen perc Lib, but might run past half Mil of samples. ;)

Last edited:
Leaning twoards Synchron as I feel like I kind of need to move away from the "cinematic" type libraries. They've only gotten me so far so I need to think outside the box. Berlin is another strong contender. Then supplement with the more niche type of libraries from Modwheel. Still researching xsamples and the others mentioned by The Darrius. May through Cineperc in there at some point because it just sounds good.
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of VSL's libraries. They are extremely clean and "sterile." They lack a lot of life which I think is needed in samples in order to qualify for a final mix. If the plan is to replace those samples with real recordings, they are great and easy to use. However, I do a lot of work where the final product is samples so I tend to stay clear of them. Just my opinion and to each their own.

Cheers,

C

I tend to agree. This Perc library for some reason does seem to kind of break the VSL mode of expressionless sampling. Plus I have a lot of samples with emotion as it seems to be the current trend. Maybe I'm yearning for more technically accurate sampling to balance it out.

The jury is still out and thank you for your excellent suggestions. I'm deeply researching all these libraries because I haven't even heard of Modwheel, vaguely heard of Xsamples, and your library seems promising.

Keyboardist here and must defer to percussionist advice(s). :barefoot: …..
Feeling like Audiobro _ LADD might get a bit more luv, especially at current usd 278. cost.
Has been Orch Perc go-to for sometime, along with NI_ Symphony Essentials Perc.

Always open to learn more of what needs to be supplemented /improved.

Right. Thank you. I was hoping that somebody like you would chime in.

The problem that I have with lowering the velocity of the softer notes is that if the sample isn't close to the dynamic I want or isn't played towards the edge ect is that then it just sounds like a louder sample turned down.

Also, there seems to be little attention paid to the lower dynamics in the libraries I have or worse, they turned up the softer notes to "balance the patch".

In your experience what library do you feel is the least "doctored" of them where they left the dynamics intact?
I usually reach for Cineperc or Redux for the most natural feel in my case.

I will, however, say that I have more "epic" sounding libraries as that is where I'm lacking in performing parts myself.

But I don't see any of those listed here so all above sounds like safe bets.

I've been considering getting Saga percussion. It looks like a nice hybrid between acoustic and the heavy hitting trailer percussion.

Anyone here that has Saga?
I dont really own a percussion library other than the percussion in Metropolis Ark 1, and Cerberus, which I don't like and regret getting (don't like the sound or style of it).

I would like a nice well rounded not too expensive perc library that is not for loud trailer music with big processed samples. Something more acoustic for sure, with a good variety of instruments, but that can still be punchy if needed. Saga seems to be that, and the price is great imo.

I can see how someone could find certain string libraries to be more sterile sounding than others. But percussion? What's "un"-sterile percussion? Playing out of time? Having particularly inconsistent attack? Samples in the same RR where the player audibly struck more and less off center?

I do really like the Synchron Percussion because it has a lot of depth and clarity to it, it's super consistent and the recordings are CLEAN (as in: no noise, which plagues many percussion samples) .The instruments have many dynamic layers, sound very realistic and feature different playing techniques, beaters etc., which makes them - compared to others - particularly suitable for more detailed and exposed writing.

I love True Strike 1, personally. I've been so satisfied with the traditional orchestral sound it has ever since I purchased it. It's way cheaper than most libraries and I find it has a nice balanced sound. The mic options allow it to sound as close as you want. I personally have my percussion far back and True Strike allows me to do that! I always had problems using Gran Cassa, but since I got True Strike, I've been able to get a lot of punch from it.

For orchestral and realistic percussion sound, I would recommend NI Symphony Series, it uses drum head simulation for timpani and all drums, which makes it the most playable lib in my opinion. I wouldn't chose the default stereo mix on their mixer page though, but use a mix between close, far and spot mic position - this sounds really beautiful! :)

Top Bottom