Talk me out of an iMac

Dewdman42

I can remember it happening once or twice, but I can't remember specifics now.

generally speaking, Apple makes money if you buy their hardware, not when you run OSX. They are not THAT motivated to get everyone running on the latest version of OSX. A little bit sure just to keep things simple, but in general, what they want is for us to buy their new computers. IMHO the reason sometimes new machines are unable to run older OSX has purely to do with the fact that the new machine requires some driver or OS capability that Apple did not back port to the older version of OSX. That would cost money. So they are not motivated to back port anything really. If the new MacPro requires new drivers or anything new in the OSX Catalina operating system in some way... then you won't be able to roll it back to Mojave. But its not a given that it will require anything new like that either. We just have to wait and see.

It has happened in the past, but I can't remember exact specifics now sorry...

soundmind

In non-PC news... I have just found out that the Mac Minis and iMacs round my way are no longer shipping with Mojave and instead Sh**alina.

This is not good news as well, I see potential problems with my software from Roland, Toontracks, Moog and a few others - or at least the situation is not quite clear. I haven't been able to find conclusive info on Diva yet either.

It seems that an immediate ungrade from Catalina to Mojave would make a lot of sense and doesn't seem too complicated.
Not sure if you have already made your decision, but I did just receive my iMac i9 shipped with Mojave. Maybe it is because I purchased a VESA mount version, or location (eastern US), but I thought I’d let you know.

Also, Diva has recently been updated for Catalina. Best of luck to you.

OP
mc_deli

mc_deli

n trepreneur
Not sure if you have already made your decision, but I did just receive my iMac i9 shipped with Mojave. Maybe it is because I purchased a VESA mount version, or location (eastern US), but I thought I’d let you know.

Also, Diva has recently been updated for Catalina. Best of luck to you.
That is good.
And retro switch to Mojave from Catalina looks easy enough if necessary.

I have a confession: I got a new quote for the i9 ;) I have the funds and I think it makes sense to get the extra HP and hopefully increase in useful life.

How is the new beast?

soundmind

That is good.

I have a confession: I got a new quote for the i9 ;) I have the funds and I think it makes sense to get the extra HP and hopefully increase in useful life.

How is the new beast?
Still in the process of moving everything over and setting up, but I’m extremely happy so far. Coming from a 2008 Mac Pro, so of course the upgrade is going to be a world of difference. Also purchased 128GB ram, SSD’s, swappable dual enclosure, new midi I/O for my rack gear (my perfectly good one doesn’t have drivers beyond El Capitan), and a couple of other things.

Would have preferred to stay with the Mac Pro design, but the iMac i9 hit the sweet spot for me. And it was icing on the cake installed with Mojave, as I want to wait to update to Catalina for a while. I’ll give you an update when I start up a session with the new configuration.

5Lives

I just bought the i9 8 core iMac (refurbished plus 6% cash back on Apple Card - great deal IMO). Comes with 64GB RAM and 1TB SSD.

soundmind

That is good.

How is the new beast?
I don’t have any specific tests, but the performance of the iMac i9 is very impressive to me. Previous projects or even certain VI’s would bring my ‘08 Mac Pro to a crawl. Now I can perform all of these tasks with ease, and with my buffer set at 256 instead of 512. I have even tried a few instances with the buffer at 128 with very little issues, so I may explore that a bit more.

I use Studio One, and they have had cpu issues in the past which they have improved upon, so for me being able to run at 256 is pure happiness. At this point, the iMac i9 has been a great purchase.