What's new

Talk me out of an iMac

Both platforms have pluses and minuses. I had been an Apple only user for many years, but bought a windows machine about a year ago. Believe it or not, one of the big pluses for me on a Mac is the incremental backups with versioning offered by Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC). With Windows, you are still stuck with either full backups or differential backups. Speed-wise, CCC is like differential backups on a PC, BUT if you have to reinstall everything, CCC is faster and more reliable. You can even boot the Mac from the backup drive. Full disclosure: I don't trust "the cloud" and don't backup to it.

The downside of Apple is their now yearly OS releases that always cause problems with existing software. I don't like being forced to update a whole bunch of software every year because of an OS update.

In my current setup, I am running an older Mac OS (if it ain't broke, don't update it), and backup all of my PC music files to the Mac. I get the best of both worlds. If anything happens to the PC, I simply reload my full backup and then get the files off of the Mac.

base on my experience spending 3000 euros with apple laptop and logic vs spending 3000 euros on a windows pc with 128gb ram, several ssd , powerful cpu and cubase I can be 99 percent sure that apple is a waste of time if you have a limited budget and want to work with a decent powerful computer...
This all sounds good on paper but the reality is - you are stuck with a horrible WINDOWS 10 now..

The downside of Apple is their now yearly OS releases that always cause problems with existing software. I don't like being forced to update a whole bunch of software every year because of an OS update.
ehm, you do not have to update... I did not on my MacBook pro for like 4 years

In non-PC news... I have just found out that the Mac Minis and iMacs round my way are no longer shipping with Mojave and instead Sh**alina.

This is not good news as well, I see potential problems with my software from Roland, Toontracks, Moog and a few others - or at least the situation is not quite clear. I haven't been able to find conclusive info on Diva yet either.

It seems that an immediate ungrade from Catalina to Mojave would make a lot of sense and doesn't seem too complicated.

ehm, you do not have to update... I did not on my MacBook pro for like 4 years
Yes, that is where I've been for quite a while (I'm on OS X 10.11), but eventually a software update will appear that fixes an annoying bug that requires an OS update, but if you update some other piece of software will no longer work. Yes, this can happen with Windows, but it isn't every freaking year as it is now is with macOS.

It seems that an immediate ungrade from Catalina to Mojave would make a lot of sense and doesn't seem too complicated.
Not if Apple still enforces the rule that you can't install an OS before the one that shipped with your new computer . . . and I believe they do. Another great Apple "feature".

They don't impose that rule. That has been the case a few times that a new model came out which would not run on an older version of the OS, but not always the case and certainly, existing models that can run Mojave today can still run Mojave tomorrow even if you bought it after Catalina came out and it shipped with catalina.

They don't impose that rule. That has been the case a few times that a new model came out which would not run on an older version of the OS, but not always the case and certainly, existing models that can run Mojave today can still run Mojave tomorrow even if you bought it after Catalina came out and it shipped with catalina.
How do you know when you buy it?

How do you know when you buy it?
The current Mac Mini line is from 2018, the iMacs date from March 2019. There are plenty pf people with these running Mojave and buying with Catalina and going back to Mojave. The new Mac Pro though... shipping after the launch of Catalina.. may well not be able to go back... dunno

That's definitely good to know. Have you ever heard of Apple updating something in last years machine that creates this problem? In other words, you buy it thinking you can go back to an earlier OS but find that for some reason you can't.

I can remember it happening once or twice, but I can't remember specifics now.

generally speaking, Apple makes money if you buy their hardware, not when you run OSX. They are not THAT motivated to get everyone running on the latest version of OSX. A little bit sure just to keep things simple, but in general, what they want is for us to buy their new computers. IMHO the reason sometimes new machines are unable to run older OSX has purely to do with the fact that the new machine requires some driver or OS capability that Apple did not back port to the older version of OSX. That would cost money. So they are not motivated to back port anything really. If the new MacPro requires new drivers or anything new in the OSX Catalina operating system in some way... then you won't be able to roll it back to Mojave. But its not a given that it will require anything new like that either. We just have to wait and see.

It has happened in the past, but I can't remember exact specifics now sorry...

In non-PC news... I have just found out that the Mac Minis and iMacs round my way are no longer shipping with Mojave and instead Sh**alina.

This is not good news as well, I see potential problems with my software from Roland, Toontracks, Moog and a few others - or at least the situation is not quite clear. I haven't been able to find conclusive info on Diva yet either.

Not sure if you have already made your decision, but I did just receive my iMac i9 shipped with Mojave. Maybe it is because I purchased a VESA mount version, or location (eastern US), but I thought I’d let you know.

Also, Diva has recently been updated for Catalina. Best of luck to you.

Not sure if you have already made your decision, but I did just receive my iMac i9 shipped with Mojave. Maybe it is because I purchased a VESA mount version, or location (eastern US), but I thought I’d let you know.

Also, Diva has recently been updated for Catalina. Best of luck to you.
That is good.
And retro switch to Mojave from Catalina looks easy enough if necessary.

I have a confession: I got a new quote for the i9 ;) I have the funds and I think it makes sense to get the extra HP and hopefully increase in useful life.

How is the new beast?

Top Bottom