What's new

Talk me out of a widescreen monitor

You know how if you stare at your nose too long, you can go permanently cross-eyed? Wide screen monitors do the same thing when you try to watch both sides at the same time. It’s rather painful and a costly surgery to correct if you live in the U.S.

Hope this post helps with the GAS.

Do you have a source for this?

In case it helps. When I was on my old Mac DAW I was using an old Cinema display for many years. Now I am on a Dell windows DAW using a larger Dell business display. It's much worse. The old Cinema display was much better quality and easier on the eyes and eye strain. Who knows. Maybe I just have a cheap monitor and need to invest in a gaming grade monitor. I keep interrogating my son who is a gaming expert on this stuff.

I don't know the Dell display, but as above, I too used a 30" Cinema Display for years. It was great, very high quality, and definitely easy on the eyes.

And yet the $350 32" Samsung display I'm using now doesn't make me miss it. It's just as easy on the eyes, but it's sharper, has substantially more real estate at roughly the same dot pitch and physical space, and supports HDPi so you can zoom way in without the screen getting all pixelated.

(I'd rate the odds of the Cinema Display still working with the replacement power supply I bought a while ago about 85%; the problem is that the odds of my getting around to soldering its plug to the new supply anytime soon are about 15%.)

Top Bottom