What's new

Taikos, what’s your vote?

I like both these:
https://insessionaudio.com/products/taiko-creator/
Good review here: https://www.strongmocha.com/2018/10/28/taiko-creator-by-in-session-audio-review/

https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/japanese-taiko-percussion/

Both are excellent, and come with a large set of midi files to work off.

I'm not a Taiko player myself, but living in Japan I see a lot and my son is doing Taiko so I'm getting some insight into the learning process. Very traditional approach, similar to Shakuhachi (of which I play a little)

Last edited:
The Taikos in Ark 3 are undoubtedly the most authentic I have heard, above mf of course. I've got all the usual suspects and I've actually been to a couple of Taiko 'happenings' in Japan.
Have you had a look/listen to Taiko Creator? I know that in person when listening to dry samples it sounds very detailed, very close and very real (to me). I don’t have the same level of experience as you though.

The Taikos in Ark 3 are undoubtedly the most authentic I have heard, above mf of course. I've got all the usual suspects and I've actually been to a couple of Taiko 'happenings' in Japan.
Yeah, they're definitely in the top 3. Just a pity they're so upclose.
I love the sound of the taikos in Sonokinetics Capriccio. There's a percussion only patch. Though it hasn't many round robins. And Ark 1 is a beast too for the very low earthquakes...

Lots of good options. Of your list, the SA Hans Zimmer instruments are very good. East West and Orchestral Tools are also very good options.

The percussion in Ark 3 is all very good and authentic sounding. But it is not upfront, in-your-face percussion. It is natural sounding, but played fairly aggressively.

Some people feel it is a bit washed out. But I think they're going for that dry, layered on top, trailer percussion. But if you go look up a good video of taikos live in a good hall, you'll be surprised at how crazy good the Ark 3 taikos sound right next to them.

The percussion in Ark 3 is all very good and authentic sounding. But it is not upfront, in-your-face percussion. It is natural sounding, but played fairly aggressively.

Some people feel it is a bit washed out. But I think they're going for that dry, layered on top, trailer percussion. But if you go look up a good video of taikos live in a good hall, you'll be surprised at how crazy good the Ark 3 taikos sound right next to them.
Good to know - for some reason, I've neglected to use my Ark3 Taikos and have only been using the HZ perc (JXL mix) ones. I'll be playing around with the Ark3 taikos next!

I'm in favor of them.

Just kidding. I do like LADDs Taikos and I have 9Volt's Taikos which are great. So I know the new Session Audio Taikos will be great. Just haven't had the chance to get them yet.

No mention of the taikos in Storm Drum 3 here. I don't have them, but I'm curious if anyone does and what they think. SD3 in the cart on the JRR Shop site is $134 and includes a Play 6 update (I'm still using 5)

I'm tempted...

No mention of the taikos in Storm Drum 3 here. I don't have them, but I'm curious if anyone does and what they think. SD3 in the cart on the JRR Shop site is $134 and includes a Play 6 update (I'm still using 5)

I'm tempted...
Check out Page 1... ;)

Also, Tsaiko has some awesome taiko patches. The Pirate Drums one is like a cannon.

Sean Beeson is the developer, but I don't know where it's available. It was always a download library.

I don't know if they re-recorded them, but if not they're also in SD 1 and 2 (in the Best of SD1 folder).

The Earthquake program shakes your boo-tee - literally.

I believe SD3 is all new recordings. Supposedly more velocity layers and round robins than SD1 and 2. From watching the walkthroughs I'm not all that convinced it does. The sale price is very good, but I have SD2 so I'm unsure...

8Dio close mic taikos is not really a close mic. Feel way too roomy to properly tweak the sound.
Taiko Creator is the last one I've bought. Very good quality library and plenty of presets, mics and tweak options. I have HZP too, but it is far behind from a dedicated library.

Top Bottom