Taikos, what’s your vote?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Josh Richman, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Quantum Leap

Quantum Leap Senior Member

Jun 29, 2007
    SD3 is the private collection of Mickey Hart plus my private taiko collection and some of Mickey’s taikos. I had a $15,000 600 lb. drum built for this release. Sometimes I think people are so used to be bullshitted that they don’t realize when something unique comes along. All those drums sampled in East West studio one with 24 microphones. The taikos have multiple mics controllable so you can get the deep low end and definition from the close mics and the big room sound from the room mics. But you still need reverb if you want the sound of ark or HZ. SD3 taikos are really good all around solution. If you really want to play extensive and fast parts it’s very good. Perhaps better than anything. If you just want some big booms perhaps Ark or HZ is better. East West studio one doesn’t have the Abbey Road massive 4 second sound. That video for Ark makes it seem like the Holy grail. It is great. They had a real ensemble in a great studio. Unfortunately, it’s not the holy grail. As a taiko freak for the past 25 years, I can tell you that no one has nailed it yet. Odd because it should be easy. It’s just drums after all.

stixman, Alex Niedt and Nick Batzdorf like this.
  2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Nice way to put down other developers. Some of them also doing unique stuff.

SoNowWhat? likes this.
  3. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    SD3 is great imo, and I also use Evolution Taiko and Darwin Percussion (Iceni). They all sound good, but SD3 is just plain hard to beat imo.

4. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    Oh yeah. I'm kind of weirded out they don't get mentioned more. There's some room sound you can't entirely get rid of, but that goes for most of the Albions. You learn to make it work for you.

5. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I know exactly what you mean. They're bigger than you can fit on a recording.

6. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    See my previous post. He's not putting down other developers, he's saying it's one of those instruments nobody has nailed.

Josh Richman likes this.
  7. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    I read it as if he implied that he did nail them. If that's not the case, and even Nick thinks he didn't nail them in SD3, apologies. But if he thinks he nailed them, then it is putting down other devs. Make sense?

8. D-Mott

D-Mott Senior Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I thought Nine Volt Audio Taiko 2 was very close to being nailed, also the taikos in Drums of War 2 were nice, but not very deep sampled. Tried SD3/8DIO/HZ, not quite my taste.

We all have certain tastes when it comes to how we want taikos to sound. I personally like this sound -

And this too -

9. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

what about hans zimmer's percussion? the taiko sounds good though

10. Quantum Leap

Quantum Leap Senior Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Guess I wasn’t clear. Don’t speak evil dragon very well. Lol. I think no one has nailed it, but obviously there are all kinds of cool taiko sounds out there. I was determined to get it right in SD3, but there is still a lot lacking. The most important authentic taiko sound is the ensemble semi large barrel drum sound. 4 or 6 similar or identical drums played together in a good space. I didn’t get that really. Part of the sound is the space because the snap needs to rattle around in the space to sound thick and the bass needs a good space to blend at the right level.

Alex Niedt and gregh like this.
  11. ysnyvz

ysnyvz Senior Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I think Evolution Series has nailed it for both ensemble and solo taikos.

12. SoNowWhat?

SoNowWhat? realised I can type here

Jul 26, 2016
    Been using InSession Taiko Creator for a track today. Love it. Had to work with mic mix and verb to get it to sit right with other instruments (and I’m sure I still haven’t got it right) but I really enjoy using it. Very happy camper here. There are obviously lots of good options out there.

13. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    OK thanks for clarifying. I apologize for my statement :)

TheSigillite and SoNowWhat? like this.
  14. Jerry Growl

Jerry Growl Senior Member

Jul 4, 2017
    Belgium
    It's not upfront "in your face" out of the box.

But if you want a closer intimate sound, just go with the close mics, turn down the tree mics a lot or completely, maybe add a good room type reverb or ambiance (Early Reflections) or room emulation. Use (bus) compression to get the modern 'in your face' sound if that's what you're after.

There is a seperate sub mic for the low drums (and low taikos) you can play with to get a real 'proximity' feel

Jonas Hallstrom likes this.
  15. Brian Nowak

Brian Nowak Senior Member

Jan 9, 2018
    I agree, to a point. But even then, they're hardly upfront like percussion that is designed to be so.

After a very instructive conversation with one Sascha Knorr, I'm even more delighted with the options Ark 3 has. Multi out is the way to go with OT stuff for sure.