What's new

Synth Sound Help - Granular ?

DanPhaseMusic

Hi There

I'm trying to recreate somthing like the sound at the start of this Rival Consoles track.

Its the glitching sound at the very start. Is it something granular ?. I was checking through the granular stuff in omni and i can kind of hear somthing a bit like it but not quite. Any help most appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Isn't it just an accelerando/accelerating rhythm playing a percussive harmonic sound?
K Devices ESQ M4L sequencer can generate rhythms like that... and sound-wise it reminds me of modules like MI Rings or Make Noise Mysteron (but I think he uses an Arturia Matrixbrute amongst others so maybe the sound is generated from it)

Isn't it just an accelerando/accelerating rhythm playing a percussive harmonic sound?
My thoughts exactly. Those percussive sounds almost sound too long to be grains, at least to my ears. If they are grains use modulation / automation to speed up and down parameters in your granular engine.

Hi There

I'm trying to recreate somthing like the sound at the start of this Rival Consoles track.

Its the glitching sound at the very start. Is it something granular ?. I was checking through the granular stuff in omni and i can kind of hear somthing a bit like it but not quite. Any help most appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

You can create something similar using Cinesamples Soundscape, at least.
Set the attack to the lowest, slightly longer release and just move grain density.

Hope this helps.

N

Attachments

• soundscape - 192kbps.mp3
    651.5 KB
My thoughts exactly. Those percussive sounds almost sound too long to be grains, at least to my ears. If they are grains use modulation / automation to speed up and down parameters in your granular engine.
I love accelerating rhythms, Aphex Twin - Bucephalus Bouncing Ball is a classic, especially at 3'00" when he applies the rhythm across other elements...

Thanks very much for the info. Thats exactly the kinda thing i'm after. Unfortunatley i'm on Logic and don't have any of that stuff...i'll start checking out if i can get a similar thing with what i do have. Any ideas on getting that sound from Omni or Reaktor ?

Thanks again

It could easily be a delayed repetition of grains but then doesn't need to.
You can easily create something very similar in different ways, e.g. with the basic percussive sound created i.e. in Chromaphone or a similar sounding sample run through an FX chain (ADSR, filter, EQ) and then sending the result through a delay with modulated delay time. Add some reverb and automated panning at the end and voilà.
Edit: as to the FX, you could pull this off with some free stuff.

You also could achieve something similar by changing the speed of a looping envelope like the MSEGs of Zebra.

Thanks for all the replies. I do have Zebra but I’ve barely used it. Could elaborate a bit on what I’d do ?
I really appreciate everyone’s input on the matter.

cheers

Thanks for all the replies. I do have Zebra but I’ve barely used it. Could elaborate a bit on what I’d do ?
I really appreciate everyone’s input on the matter.

cheers
Here's a quick Zebra patch for you.

You can change the speed of MSEG1 with the modwheel.

Attachments

• MSEG loop.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 6
Dude ! You actually built me the patch ! Thank you so much ! I'm so retarded when it comes to synthesis i'd never have managed that on my own. Thanks mate.

Thanks very much for the info. Thats exactly the kinda thing i'm after. Unfortunatley i'm on Logic and don't have any of that stuff...i'll start checking out if i can get a similar thing with what i do have. Any ideas on getting that sound from Omni or Reaktor ?

Thanks again
Yeah in Omni you can't change grain release so I don't think you can do this. Highly recommend Soundscape though, you can do pretty interesting stuff with it.

Great to see you got help. I've seen the rhythmic pattern called exponential rhythm (there are some videos about it on Youtube).

Unfiltered Audio Sandman Pro (can be had for $15-30 on sale) has a multitap feature that has a control to space out the taps in such a pattern (and the reverse of it, as well). It is quite fun to play with, using any plucky or percussive sound input.

Top Bottom