What's new

Synth-based music: post-prod. Cleaning noise, EQ, verbs: ERA? Sonible? Waves? Dyson?

creativeforge

the plumber
Looking for comments and recommendations on post-prod for synth-based music.

I have old tracks I'd like to clean-up and beef up a bit in a transparent way, hoping to carve a bit of space around the various sounds. It's only instrumental music using synths and sound modules. (One song also has an annoying clipping horror for a second).

Accusonus Era let's me upgrade for a good price, but do I need all of these for synth-based music? Then there's Sonible as well, and Melda, Acustica...

Thanks in advance!

Andre

Last edited:
Hi Andre,

Sounds like fun, I enjoy restoring old records.

The ERA bundle features a DeClipper module which may help with that one song you've indicated. When de-noising I reach for iZotope's RX7 and Klevgrands's Brusfri. But again the ERA bundle has a good plugin for that.

My favorite part of the Accusonus kit is the De-Reverb module. When applied lightly, it can clean up a lot of high frequency noise and hiss.

For carving space in a spectrum, Sonible's Smart:Comp is a real gem! In side chain mode, It will do the job in a clean, artifact free manner. It's also a great compressor all around. I used it on the Arkeon Drum Titans Demo to fit a massive Sub Bass (Also from Arkeon) under the Heavyocity drums. At 2:27 you can hear how effective and transparent the result was.

In terms of EQ, I really like NovaGE and the Slick EQ M from Tokyo Dawn Labs. Affordable and highly effective.

I'll come back to this in a couple of hours.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply, and recommendations! It's actually not old records, but music I've composed over 20 years ago. 44.1 on 16, using an ADAT blackface and dumped on a computer a few years later using Cakewalk 7 to 9.03 at the time.

My favorite part of the Accusonus kit is the De-Reverb module. When applied lightly, it can clean up a lot of high frequency noise and hiss.

This could be useful, as all the sounds from the synths and modules come with their own reverbs, and I was just listening to day and noticed that in some passage there's a bit too much reverb.

The ERA bundle features a DeClipper module which may help with that one song you've indicated.

Ah! That's another plus for Era, then.

When de-noising I reach for iZotope's RX7 and Klevgrands's Brusfri. But again the ERA bundle has a good plugin for that.

I got Brusfri earlier this year, actually, so that's a good start. I'll read more on the other you mentioned, especially Smart:Comp. (Nice product, Arkeon... :) ) Thanks again!

Cheers,

Andre

I forgot to mention that I don't have individual tracks anymore, only the stereo mix down. So it could make things a bit harder to manage...

Most of those plugins will work fine on your stereo mix downs, for the purposes you indicated. With regards to Smart:Comp, I'm sure you know that the spectral side chain process, will only work well if you introduce new elements to those mixes.

When I added the Impact+Sub Bass sounds to the video, I applied them post edit, to a "Final" stereo mix, as an afterthought. I figured why not showcase even more of the Arkeon sound set. As you've heard, Smart:Comp delivered quite well.

Plugin Boutique currently have Smart:Comp on Sale at $75, but it does go lower if you're not in a hurry.

BTW thank you for the kind comment on Arkeon. (DM me if you're interested...;))

All the best!

Sidi

Top Bottom