What's new

Synchron Strings

dhlkid

Anyone still consider buy Synchron Strings?

I use VSL chamber strings for writing, but I end up using Hollywood Strings, Cinmatic Strings 2 plus some others in final version of demo

I don't know if I should go for it or not, please advice, thx

stigc56

I have them and like them a lot, but they come with the room, and you have to like that, otherwise I think the sounds really nice. I do like the clean sound, and the interface works really well, no pitfalls like out of tune samples and so on. It's pricy though. I also have the old and the synchronized VSL chamber strings and I always found the old version a bit harsh in the sound, I think the new ones sound better. But then I fire up Spitfire Chamber Strings and then I like them a lot! ;) Not much help?

muk

There are better options out there in my opinion. The short articulations are good. Not spectacularly so, and certainly not unrivaled, but good. For the long articulations I did not care. The legato is problematic to my ears, and the library reacts to cc1 in a way that felt unnatural to me. Then there are too little articulations to choose from. Finally I didn't particularly like the sound signature either. In the end I returned the library.

OP
D

dhlkid

There are better options out there in my opinion. The short articulations are good. Not spectacularly so, and certainly not unrivaled, but good. For the long articulations I did not care. The legato is problematic to my ears, and the library reacts to cc1 in a way that felt unnatural to me. Then there are too little articulations to choose from. Finally I didn't particularly like the sound signature either. In the end I returned the library.
return the library? VSL allow to?

Eptesicus

I have it too (pre-ordered). Biggest waste of money sample wise ever.

I am still hoping they redo it/improve it in the hope that it doesn't kill the rest of the Synchron range off, but VSL seem totally blind to how bad it is. I feel like they have stubbornly dug their heels in and simply refuse to improve it/re-record some elements.

Their customer service and staff just will not admit what a failure it is and that will only serve to hurt them in the long run. Their customer service have always come across as quite condescending when contacting them about it as well.

Also, its ridiculously large and resource hungry yet sounds by far the worst of all the string libraries i own.

I will never be buying a VSL product ever again after my experience of Synchron Strings.

Do yourself a favour and spend your money on Cinematic Studio Strings, or quite frankly any other string library instead.

Last edited:

Symfoniq

I have it too (pre-ordered). Biggest waste of money sample wise ever.

I am still hoping they redo it/improve it in the hope that it doesn't kill the rest of the Synchron range off, but VSL seem totally blind to how bad it is. I feel like they have stubbornly dug their heels in and simply refuse to improve it/re-record some elements.

Their customer service and staff just will not admit what a failure it is and that will only serve to hurt them in the long run. Their customer service have always come across as quite condescending when contacting them about it as well.

Also, its ridiculously large and resource hungry yet sounds by far the worst of all the string libraries i own.

I will never be buying a VSL product ever again after my experience of Synchron Strings.

Do yourself a favour and spend your money on Cinematic Studio Strings, or quite frankly any other string library instead.
Sadly, I agree. I'm extremely unsatisfied with Synchron Strings. No more VSL pre-orders for me.

muk

return the library? VSL allow to?
They did in this case. Paul wrote somewhere on their forum that you could return the library within 30 days if I remember correctly. So I asked, and they agreed. It did cost a fee (what doesn't with VSL?), and I think it was a special arrangement for this individual case.

Eptesicus

Sadly, I agree. I'm extremely unsatisfied with Synchron Strings. No more VSL pre-orders for me.
What i find bemusing, from a business perspective, is that they don't seem to have acknowledged that it was a failure, even though the overwhelming feedback from all their customers suggested it is.

Now if this was a product that wasnt going to tie in with any others then i would understand them perhaps sweeping it under the carpet.

However as part of what will no doubt be a whole orchestra of Synchron stuff (ie wind and brass will no doubt come), why would they not address the fact that arguably the most important part of that package is a pile of rubbish and re-record/work in fixing its shortcomings?

I know this would cost them money, but i can only see it costing them more in the long run in terms of sales, if the strings are not fixed.

holywilly

Well, I’m quite liking the Synchron Strings. I don’t use it with the Synchron Player, instead, I set my own presets in VI Pro, it’s more customizable and legato sounds nicer with a little bit of tweaking.

My way of using Synchron Strings is to layer with Orchestral Strings to create fuller and lush sound. The Synchron Strings sounds a bit thin IMHO. The only problem is the lacking articulations like harmonics, detache...etc.

I like Synchron Strings but not the player, that’s the only disappointment.

jamwerks

On the contrary I imagine that they've taken close note to what people don't like about it, and will be redoing it. Maybe when they come out with Synchron Strings II ?

novaburst

The Synchon Strings are there best sounding strings perhaps the best sounding strings in the string library world, this is the first mic setup library VSL has developed hence the huge library file, making it work takes a little time but they are very rewording.

There is only a small portion of articulations but not a deal breaker the synchron player did not surpass the Vienna instrument and perhaps the only downside.

Another down side is the whole wide world is perhaps against VSL and will never get over it so the negativity will remain in your mind and suck you in a very dark hole.

What I would say is go for the 30 trial but you will need to figure the strings out if you cant its nether hear nor there,

Robert_G

Is that cake?
Another down side is the whole wide world is perhaps against VSL and will never get over it so the negativity will remain in your mind and suck you in a very dark hole.

What I would say is go for the 30 trial but you will need to figure the strings out if you cant its nether hear nor there,
Their dongle system is killing them. I even have a vsl dongle, but its still in the box. I would have bought several vsl products by now....but having to repay a portion of the licence if something happens to the dongle is utter BS. Their policy is retarded and thankfully no other big VI company does that. Not to mention many of their instruments are overpriced.

novaburst

Their dongle system is killing them. I even have a vsl dongle, but its still in the box. I would have bought several vsl products by now....but having to repay a portion of the licence if something happens to the dongle is utter BS. Their policy is retarded and thankfully no other big VI company does that. Not to mention many of their instruments are overpriced.
Well there you have it, as I said the whole world is against VSL you don't need to look far on this forum, but I guess its best to not go a stray from the thread and turn it into a hate VSL developer thread

I believe Synchron Strings is the matter in hand :

Robert_G

Is that cake?
Well there you have it, as I said the whole world is against VSL you don't need to look far on this forum, but I guess its best to not go a stray from the thread and turn it into a hate VSL developer thread

I believe Synchron Strings is the matter in hand :
Thats not fair. I would like to own some vsl products.....even if they are a bit expensive. Im not against them. Im against their paranoia policy.

As for the synchron series....i agree with others here....it doesnt sound great...just my opinion.

Diablo3

Thanks for the input guys. Some people are deluded perceiving as hate other people stating facts (which is really helpful). So far in this thread I have not read a single drop of hate. And the stated facts help people like me (who haven't bought a thing from them and yeah, in my case I loathe dongles, but read again, I loathe dongles, not the company or their libs) who perhaps have other string/orchestra libraries and perhaps are looking for the "best" library out there, but not going for a fortune. In the end, people will speak with their wallet, but sometimes not knowing these facts slows that process of voting/speaking with it. It took me a lifetime being able to buy anything worth it (plugins or instrument libraries) and I know that if they lowered their price they could've sold lots more in less time. That's my point of view (like Waves dropped their prices by a lot and they seem to sell very well). Cheers.

novaburst

Thats not fair. I would like to own some vsl products.....even if they are a bit expensive. Im not against them. Im against their paranoia policy.

As for the synchron series....i agree with others here....it doesnt sound great...just my opinion.
I have had a Cubase wavelab dungle used over and over again for more licenses for VSL at the end of the day we have a choice where to purchase from but I don't need to hate on developers because of a policy, I can buy else where, know one is forcing any one to purchase VSL, so its point less with the negative view.

They have held this policy since the beginning of time and have not changed one inch so I guess you just have to live with it or go else where because it does not look like VSL are changing any time soon.

They have outstanding librarys, there software is light years ahead of the rest and its still staggering how they manage to get such a low CPU, memory foot print, have not seen this in any other developer, there products are rock solid stable, VSL seem to go by a code that they will never brake, there seems to be a sense of honour in there team, and they seem to be the busiest Developers out there, they have been through some ruff times of slander, yet they still seem to be the back bone of library software, dongle or not if you have not got any VSL products on your system I guess your the one that's missing out,

Saxer

They have outstanding librarys, there software is light years ahead of the rest and its still staggering how they manage to get such a low CPU, memory foot print, have not seen this in any other developer, there products are rock solid stable...
That's true. I use their libraries nearly every day. Great stuff. The only thing I don't like is the sound of Synchron Strings. To me it sounds lifeless and in opposite to their other string libraries it's nearly impossible to make convincing agile melodic phrases with that legato.

Top Bottom