What's new

Synchron Strings Legato?

Cory Pelizzari

(Solonoid Studio)
This may seem like a stupid question, but I've watched both of VSL's videos on the Synchron Strings legato and listened to all of the demo tracks - I can't hear any legato transitions.

Can anyone who has this library confirm or explain what I'm hearing? I was considering buying the library to make a video on it, but I'm not so sure now...

The legato in Synchron strings never convinced me either. I don't own it and wouldn't buy it

Don't waste your money, and SSD space.

I doubt VSL has plans to improve the legato of Synchron Str 1, they have been just wasting time synchronizing their older libraries, instead of improving Synchron Strings 1, and releasing more Synchron Strings libraries, and new Synchron Woodwinds, Brass.. etc.

Not a big fan of their current direction of development.

Last edited:
Maybe it's because VSL has the tradition to sample intervals and not performances.

It's not good neither bad but just a matter of taste.

I particularly prefer performances because they sound more fluid but VSL has its merit for many great libraries like their woods. Btw, woods have much less variation of legato than strings.

Yesss! New SyS thread :D I thought I'm over it but I just feel crazy need to point out some things once again :D

PROS
- shorts (aggresive, bitey, cool)
- pizzicato (clean, spacious, very pretty)
- slow sustains / legato (a bit closer to "performance" style sampling, but still very VSL)

CONS
- transitionless legato, odd slurs, overall "synthy" sound
- legato blur - function that "smears" legato transitions, so they could sound like ugly smudge of reverb instead of no transition at all
- fake articulations
- idea of mixing few articulations to create new ones (short stacked on sustain to simulate different attacks) instead of actually recording them (this is 250GB library!)
- this is 250GB library!
- up to 8 velocity layers, but feels like far less (not enough timbre variations)
- Synchron player is resource hog
- 30 second crescendos ;D
- 3 vibrato styles - dead, deadier and no vibrato
- overall non-musical sound

Now I feel better :D

Last edited:
Watching some demos, I really don't like the sound of this library. Not a step forward in almost any way it seems.

This may seem like a stupid question, but I've watched both of VSL's videos on the Synchron Strings legato and listened to all of the demo tracks - I can't hear any legato transitions.

Can anyone who has this library confirm or explain what I'm hearing? I was considering buying the library to make a video on it, but I'm not so sure now...

Cory,

The Afflatus strings are in my humble opinion the “missing legato” strings from Syncron (or any other VSL string library).
Afflatus has “missing” articulations which VSL (just check out their articulation list) fills in the blanks 2 ways: ISSUE-Afflatus has beautiful Chamber and Orchestra legato string section sizes but does not have all the articulations. SOLUTION- VSL chamber strings and Orchestra (or Syncron) Strings matches the Afflatus string chamber and Orchestra sizes- used with MIR it is a great marriage of sound - you now have a complete string chamber and complete string orchestra!
Thank you,
Eloy

Synchron Strings I is mostly a huge let-down to me, as Piotrek quite exhaustively summed up. Makes me somewhat angry and sad as the rest of the line is stunning.

Top Bottom