What's new

Synchron Power Drums

Interesting, but really hard for VSL to compete with tools like Toontrack's Superior Drummer 3 when it comes to doing drum tracks. Superior Drummer is in a completely different league.

One of the very few drum libraries I like is VSLs Jazz Drums. Most others sound bad to my ears - I've never heard anything good come out of SD for example. Anyways, I don't think this new library is supposed to compete with SD, Addictive Drums etc. This is a more specific thing - three drummers on a scoring stage. The idea is seemingly more about multi-layered percussion patterns, a wide image and power. It's an interesting concept that's more oriented towards cinematic and theatrical than pop/rock music.

One of the very few drum libraries I like is VSLs Jazz Drums. Most others sound bad to my ears - I've never heard anything good come out of SD for example. Anyways, I don't think this new library is supposed to compete with SD, Addictive Drums etc. This is a more specific thing - three drummers on a scoring stage. The idea is seemingly more about multi-layered percussion patterns, a wide image and power. It's an interesting concept that's more oriented towards cinematic and theatrical than pop/rock music.

SD3 is pretty vast. Lots and lots and lots of kits. I've gotten great jazz results from it, but as always, it's a YMMV situation. Thing is, SD3 is a DEEP tool. You need to invest time in it if you want to approach its full potential. And, it's a product with continual development (more and more content out for it all the time).

I'll have to study the VSL drums more closely. It really is something from VSL that came completely out of nowhere. No build up of anticipation. Is this the first of many drum kit products, or is this it, and they move on to something completely different? Understanding the workflow of their setup in the Synchron player is going to take some time. I guess personally, I need to decide if I want to go down that path, or spend that time honing my skills on other deep drum kit tools.

This is not a review.

I took a gamble on this, given the price, in spite of some of the worst demos ever from VSL - gimmicky drum battles, super-compressed nonsense etc.

What I found were three well-recorded, dynamic, beefy sounding drum sets with lots of useful close and room mic options. I think I'll have more realistic and pleasing results with these than I have situating SD3 in MIR.

If you are interested in getting a realistic drum set in Synchron stage with your Synchron/MIR ensemble I think it's well worth it at the BF price.

I took a gamble on this, given the price, in spite of some of the worst demos ever from VSL - gimmicky drum battles, super-compressed nonsense etc.

Video teaser was great but audio demos were pretty bad. I couldn't get past the "tom fight" just horrible. I appreciate your feedback, nice to hear some positive user perspective. :thumbsup:

This is not a review.

What I found were three well-recorded, dynamic, beefy sounding drum sets with lots of useful close and room mic options. I think I'll have more realistic and pleasing results with these than I have situating SD3 in MIR.

If you are interested in getting a realistic drum set in Synchron stage with your Synchron/MIR ensemble I think it's well worth it at the BF price.

I did the same thing, and have come to the same conclusion. These kits sound great! The factory presets aren't very useful though, as they are too drenched in ambience. Once you back off on the (very nice selection of) room mics a bit, it's fantastic. I can see myself using this as a viable alternative to SD3 after my first impressions. Will be interesting to see how it holds up, in practice.
One big advantage with synchron player vs SD3, especially in an orchestral context, is the ram efficiency in synchron, as you can't stream samples from SSD im SD3.

Good drums, but I will not buy it, until VSL changes their greedy and insane dongle license policy.

Top Bottom