What's new

Synchron Player with Time-Stretching now available :)

Ben

VSL
Great news: The time-stretching feature is now available in the latest available update of the Synchron Player!

While you download the update, please read the notes on how to use this feature here: https://www.vsl.info/manuals/synchron-player/edit-tab#stretch

1583492074657.png

Also, there are library updates available for the Big Bang Orchestra Series, adding presets optimized for use of the stretch feature. Make sure to also download and install these.

Be creative! With this cool new feature there is so much you can do, for example: Make staccatos shorter, pizzecatos longer, change the duration of the pre-recorded runs, dynamically change the tempo of trills with CC-automation, or go to the extreme and create new sounds (don't forget: you have a ton of fx-plugins included in the Synchron Player Mixer!).

I'm already excited to see and hear what you think about it and what you will create with it, so feel free to share!

Best, Ben

This was my one big complaint with the latest big bang release and I am so excited to download and test it out. Thanks for listening VSL!

• Love
Reactions: Ben
and the best...it works flawlessly and opens up a million new possibilities.
i especially like the possibility now to change staccato -> spiccato with this!
Yes, this is so awesome! You should also try stretching pizzicatos, so they sound longer. Also, one of my favorites: stretch the falls articulation of BBO: Andromeda!

One tip if you want to stretch something even more: Set the source bpm to max value and the destination bpm to 30. :)

It does really add a lot of cpu use though I do have to say. Turning stretching on made the instrument unusable on my cheesegrater. Why does it need to be real time stretching?

It does really add a lot of cpu use though I do have to say. Turning stretching on made the instrument unusable on my cheesegrater. Why does it need to be real time stretching?

Did you turn the extra channels off in the mixer as per the video? My cheesegrater had some issues on repeated notes tightened on Black Eye, but when I dropped them to the room mix it drastically reduced.

Also, offline stretching would need huge amounts of cache storage and result in long project loading times, especially for the multi mic libraries.
We would loose features like DAW syncing, and dynamic stretch factors. And you would have to wait after each change for stretch processing before you can listen to the result.

As @Zero&One said, reduce the amount of mics and or split voices to multiple instances.

Did you turn the extra channels off in the mixer as per the video? My cheesegrater had some issues on repeated notes tightened on Black Eye, but when I dropped them to the room mix it drastically reduced.

I’m not really sure. Just tried out synchronized dimension strings with large read buffer size. Turned on real time stretch and can’t use it. Will look closer at whatever you are suggesting tomorrow.

Also, offline stretching would need huge amounts of cache storage and result in long project loading times, especially for the multi mic libraries.
We would loose features like DAW syncing, and dynamic stretch factors. And you would have to wait after each change for stretch processing before you can listen to the result.

As @Zero&One said, reduce the amount of mics and or split voices to multiple instances.

my developer suggestion to vsl would be to dynamically stretch (and save to temporary cache) any stretched material, either during load or on first playback so that it’s not saved later taking up extra space other then temp cache space. My initial impression is that it’s taking way too much cpu to do that every time I hit play.

You do not need to increase preload size, if you enable stretching the preload size for the selected articulation(s) will be set temporally to maximum value.
As I mentioned with precalculated stretch - > no DAW sync. Also imagine the size of the cache...

On my workstation, an Intel i5 8600k I can play 80 stretched voices in one instance at the same time, or ~400 voices split between 6 Synchron Player instances. Sure, not everyone has access to a fast CPU, but if you reduce the number of mics and do not use use velocity crossfade, you should be able to use stretching even on a regular notebook.

Top Bottom