What's new

SYNCHRON-ized Special Editions > Epic Orchestra?

JEPA

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Starter_Editions/Synchronized_Special_Edition_Bundle#!Instrument_List

so, after buying the Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 and revising the Epic Orchestra I compare to VSL SE Vol1 + and see that the SYNCHRON-ized Special Editions Vol1 and Vol1+ are basically the same as the Epic Orchestra, except the Pianos (Bösendorfer and Steinway Concert D-274) some new solo violin and solo cello, 1 trumpet, 1 clarinet, and the synchron percussion ALREADY included in the Epic Orchestra. Also the apassionatta strings + chambers strings, are these all the same as in the Epic Orchestra?

Indeed. But what are the advantages of the synchron treatment? The upgrade is not very expensive but I'm not willing to pay for something I don't need.

The added instruments and articulations should be enougth reason to upgrade if you own only the old SE, because of the new instruments and articulations. On top the new player is better optimized for newer hardware. The embedded IR's are easier to use then MIR and are using less resources.

For new users this is a good way to start into VSL, and I think there will be some upgrade paths to the full instruments in the feature.

Thanks for the answer.
Oh. I wasn't aware there were added instruments. Interesting. But when you have VI PRO 2, switching to the free synchron player makes you lose some functionalities, no?

Thanks for the answer.
Oh. I wasn't aware there were added instruments. Interesting. But when you have VI PRO 2, switching to the free synchron player makes you lose some functionalities, no?
Vol 1 has now the Synchron Steinway Piano with reduced velocity layers (30, which is still more then most full priced piano libraries)
In Vol 1+2 also added: Solo violin 2, solo cello 2, harmonium, and some more.
Vol 3-4 got more articulations as well as Solo singers.

Synchron Player has most features like the VI Pro. Only missing is the auto divisi, if I remember correctly. But I think they will add them soon.

Also don't forget that the player comes with a lot of effects build in. And the Synchron IR is not baked in, so you can disable it if you want the classical VSL dry sound.

Except for the Synchron instruments like the Synchron Piano: That was recorded wet.

But what I mean is, I own VSL SE Vol1. + plus, and also Epic Orchestra, and there are things that would be repeated... is it right?

The Steinway alone should be reason enougth for you to upgrade imo. Of course Vol 1 is still Vol 1, but with additional instruments, new player, remastered material, included Synchron "MIRx" (Synchron IR presets).

The upgrade price was tempting but 64Gb on my SSDs, yikes! I'll have to pass...

When starting the installer it will ask you which libraries you want to install. So you can select only the instruments you want.
upload_2019-6-5_0-54-25.png

Thanks @Ben That's good to know. But I already have mirX Teldex and I certainly don't need another piano haha :)

When starting the installer it will ask you which libraries you want to install. So you can select only the instruments you want.
upload_2019-6-5_0-54-25.png
Wow. 33 GB worth of "Steinway Light" for a ~$35 Vol. 1 upgrade (plus cello and violin 2 and all the other goodies). I've already purchased, but probably won't be able to register and DL it until Europe wakes up tomorrow.

Wow. 33 GB worth of "Steinway Light" for a ~$35 Vol. 1 upgrade (plus cello and violin 2 and all the other goodies). I've already purchased, but probably won't be able to register and DL it until Europe wakes up tomorrow.

Let us know how you like the piano. This would be the main reason for my upgrade. Dont really see the point otherwise. In fact, I might skip upgrading my SE vol2 all together, though need to look into it further.

I was a bit tempered but will pass... I own synchron Strings, both synchron pianos full versions plus epic orchestra II but am being asked to pay full price .. hope that’s an error. Otherwise it is safe to assume that they have got the price totally wrong.

Let us know how you like the piano. This would be the main reason for my upgrade. Dont really see the point otherwise. In fact, I might skip upgrading my SE vol2 all together, though need to look into it further.
I can't play the piano, but I will gladly render a few midi files if someone sends them to me.

I don't want to lead you into making a purchase you'll regret, but "for my money" the Steinway Light alone is worth way more than the price of admission (crossgrade price). I'm finding it to be very sticky - always a good sign. A very deep UI (the dedicated Synchron Pianos plug-in); the option to use the "close" mic sample set alone and stripped clean, so you have a beautiful tabula rasa for your own effects (or none); the lovely way you can blend in the room mic to "Synchron-ize" to taste (they blend well) -- these are some of the things I'm digging from the get-go. One nit: I find the bottom 2 octaves too "tubby" for my taste. It's not a pretty sound at the very bottom, but I chalk that up to the limitations of this particular Steinway D. The top octave is no beauty show either. Again, a matter of character. It's too early to judge, but I suspect this will become one of my go-to favourites along with the Garritan CFX, TrueKeys Ravenscroft and the humble VSL Bosendorfer Imperial (the cheap one).

I don't want to lead you into making a purchase you'll regret, but "for my money" the Steinway Light alone is worth way more than the price of admission (crossgrade price). I'm finding it to be very sticky - always a good sign. A very deep UI (the dedicated Synchron Pianos plug-in); the option to use the "close" mic sample set alone and stripped clean, so you have a beautiful tabula rasa for your own effects (or none); the lovely way you can blend in the room mic to "Synchron-ize" to taste (they blend well) -- these are some of the things I'm digging from the get-go. One nit: I find the bottom 2 octaves too "tubby" for my taste. It's not a pretty sound at the very bottom, but I chalk that up to the limitations of this particular Steinway D. The top octave is no beauty show either. Again, a matter of character. It's too early to judge, but I suspect this will become one of my go-to favourites along with the Garritan CFX, TrueKeys Ravenscroft and the humble VSL Bosendorfer Imperial (the cheap one).

Oh my it is. I like it so much.

Top Bottom