What's new

Synchron-ized Special Edition

Where is selected virtual close or stage mic? undersstand in this version is somewhere i think close mics works better if want use for example flute for solo in song get more focused sound.

It is a mix of the real close mic and the virtual MIR mics. You can set the amount of "wet mics" (IR) in the mixer view of the Synchron Player. There are also presets for classic, close and distant sounding configurations.

should I update to the Synch-Vol.1 Plus? I've already updated to the Synch-SEVol.1, cuz of the piano. What are the major advantages?

should I update to the Synch-Vol.1 Plus? I've already updated to the Synch-SEVol.1, cuz of the piano. What are the major advantages?
The Plus option just gives you more articulations. It does not add any instruments. The list can be found on the VSL web. In my VEP7 template I only add the Plus patches and disable some of the less used articulations and have them reload upon midi input.

The Plus option just gives you more articulations. It does not add any instruments. The list can be found on the VSL web. In my VEP7 template I only add the Plus patches and disable some of the less used articulations and have them reload upon midi input.
Ben beat me to an answer by a whisker.

The added articulations in the plus library - I would not have enjoyed my VSL special edition without the "plus" part, they were critical for me.

Fortepiano has a more rounded attack than sfz. So between sustain, sfz, fortepiano, and velocity xfade, it becomes possible to sculpt a large variety of attacks.

Similarly for portato/detached. Trills are essential too. One thing I haven't had a chance to try, but I think will work well, is to use the trills to program string runs. But you'll constantly switch between half step and whole step nearly every note, so it would take some patient programming.

Not to mention the other fx-like articulations come in very handy for their roles.

question about the sample content compared to the original VSL SE:

so far everybody is saying the samples are "more or less" similar, just repackaged, put in the new synchron-player with preset EQ (and convolution to place them)? They didnt do any new recordings? I guess if so, they would advertise that - so I kind of answered my own question while writing this :P

I just bought the woodwinds from VSL SE for a stellar 58.- (was my first VSL purchase) and quite like the sound (especially the legatos) - now I'm thinking of also getting the strings section - I really don't need the whole orchestra (having enough brass, perc, piano etc.) - but then again I'm not quite sure if would miss something soundwise compared to the synchronized version.

Thanks

They didnt do any new recordings? I guess if so, they would advertise that
Some instruments got more articulations (for example trumpet Bb)
I'm not quite sure if would miss something soundwise compared to the synchronized version.
I think you will. as mentioned, additional articulations and instruments, and the eq and IR make it sound different, but in a good way.

Hi, could you explain how do you reload the patches upon midi input with vep 7 ? i am struggling to do that and never found any explanation.

Hi, could you explain how do you reload the patches upon midi input with vep 7 ? i am struggling to do that and never found any explanation.
There is a VEP menu item that allows you to disable samples for VSL instruments. You’ll see the slots in the Synchron player fade for all instruments in the instance when you do this. In the settings (not sure where) there is an option to enable samples upon midi input ie when you play something with a particular articulation. This will load the relevant slot. The other thing you can do is to disable the VEP instrument by sending a midi controller message from your DAW. I’ve described the process I’m my last post here: https://www.vsl.co.at/community/pos...late-audio-buss-strategy-in-VE-Pro#post285871

The disabling of the entire instrument is relevant for Kontakt and Synchron whereas the disabling of the sample cells or slots is only relevant for VSL instruments.

Question on VSL SE woodwinds. Not new versions

I assume Vol 1 Woodwinds is fine by all comments. Is the same said for Volume 2?
There's ensembles from what I can see included.

My dilemma is, do I go for:
Vol 1 + Plus library
Vol 1 + Vol 2 (no extra articulations)

Or just add all 4. But then I'm creeping into higher pricing where a full wind library from others may be more cost effective.

I finally had some time to take a deeper look into the Synchronized Special Editions (all volumes).
I've created a mock-up of "The Godfather" soundtrack (I've used [youtube] as template, but I did not create an exact copy).

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/thegodfather-mp3.20702/][/AUDIOPLUS]

I used some plugins on the master bus (exciter, compressor, some additional late reflactions, saturation), but used the instruments mostly out of the box (except the choir: I EQ'ed them to sing uuh instead of aah).

I like the new intruments / articulations that were added, especially: Trumpet Bb (plays from the start), Solo Sopran (2:37), Harmonium (0:33), Synchron Percussion, Basson 2, Synchron Piano (5:39).

I'm happy if you give feedback on the mock-up, and if you have any questions about the SE versions I'll do my best to answer them :)
Lovely mockup. My ONLY complaint is that it all sounds as if it was recorded with all the instruments at the back of the hall. Is that out of the box ambience?

Last edited:
"Customer can withdraw from the contract by written notice (including email) or by return of the originally packed product without any traces of usage and especially without the registration of the serial number(s) of the product on the VSL Website within 2 weeks of delivery for a full refund. The same applies to Download Products given that a serial number of the download product has not been registered and/or that the download product has not been activated by entering an Activation Code. T
Well that's useful for practically no one.

Judging by what you’re looking for (real acoustic instruments, not “epic” effects etc.), I think you’ll be very pleased with VSL. It’s too bad you can’t try before buying (unless you’re somehow able to make their cloud-based demo sessions work for you), because taste in VIs is so subjective. One option would be to buy and try a single SE section rather than immediately take the plunge on the whole library. The upgrade price tends to be little or no higher than the difference between the part and the whole. Myself, a few months before I bought my first VSL libs, I bought the EastWest platinum orchestra. Big disappointment. Very hard to connect with the instruments musically. VSL was like striking gold for me, as someone who likes to feel I’m playing the actual instruments in a small space where they can sing without need of embellishment (of course, sooner or later they do get the reverb and hot sauce). Put it another way, if you listen to the remarkable demos on the VSL site, they don’t lie. And even the SE edition subset of the VSL instruments covers a very generous range of articulations, including an astonishingly expressive legato.

Thank you very much for your thoughts SGordB. As much as I love the sound I've decided to avoid VSL after getting to know their license policies - not my cup of tea. Going to look some more or wait for sales from other developers.

Cheers!

Question on VSL SE woodwinds. Not new versions

I assume Vol 1 Woodwinds is fine by all comments. Is the same said for Volume 2?
There's ensembles from what I can see included.

My dilemma is, do I go for:
Vol 1 + Plus library
Vol 1 + Vol 2 (no extra articulations)

Or just add all 4. But then I'm creeping into higher pricing where a full wind library from others may be more cost effective.
I have Vol 1 and Vol 1 Plus -- no Vol 2 -- and have never really felt like I needed the extra instruments because I've filled those holes with assorted libraries from other developers. Most of the stuff in Vol 2 isn't strictly necessary for creating a basic woodwind section. The three-player woodwind patches are the only things that stand out to me as potentially necessary, but multi-player patches aren't (IMO) as important for woodwinds as for brass and strings.

In terms of the extra content in Plus, the inclusion of portato and performance rep staccatos gives you more options in terms of short notes, which I like.

I think it's mostly a question of whether you'd rather have the multi-player patches or slightly more versatile single-player patches, and this depends mostly on your personal mockup style and what your current woodwind arsenal already contains.

Some instruments got more articulations (for example trumpet Bb)

I think you will. as mentioned, additional articulations and instruments, and the eq and IR make it sound different, but in a good way.
where do I find my trumpet B?

Top Bottom