What's new

Synchron-ized Special Edition

The only thing I miss is mapping the velocity XF exclusively to longs (and legato, of course) and not the shorts, although that's something I guess I have to learn, I guess it's possible. Oh, and having the lower velocities trigger the portamento, that would be great!

Are you talking about the Synchron Player? Is it possible, too.

Velocity XF:
Under the EDIT tab you can select the behaviour for each selected patch (global, on, off). It's the same as in VI Pro.

Portamento:
You have to create a new dimension on your own which is triggered by velocity. It's the same as the marcato presets. The difference is that parallel mode should be disabled (this is the stack icon next to the dimension title). Look in the manual.

i haved installed i reqular hard drive and last here not problems with single patches i dont know if i use more them. btw this fixes to my ears theri french horn problem much
Do you mean the french horn is now really useable? I always wondered why it sounded so thin. It's the only weak point in the entire collection IMO.

Do you mean the french horn is now really useable? I always wondered why it sounded so thin. It's the only weak point in the entire collection IMO.
i feel yes at least some uses not loudest parts but some uses yes. and when i listened real frenchhorn material form you tube i feela also one such wide sounded thin.

Are you talking about the Synchron Player? Is it possible, too.

Velocity XF:
Under the EDIT tab you can select the behaviour for each selected patch (global, on, off). It's the same as in VI Pro.

Portamento:
You have to create a new dimension on your own which is triggered by velocity. It's the same as the marcato presets. The difference is that parallel mode should be disabled (this is the stack icon next to the dimension title). Look in the manual.

Oooh thank you! Nice to see that it IS possible! I'll check the manual, yes. :)

Hi,

If you like to listen to some audio examples that are not professionally produced, and may be used as a comparison from a common user's perspective, I just published a review of the piano alone in my web site.

EDIT: The review is now entirely in English (or what you can call my idea of English).

The review

Please note that these pages contain advertising (automatically chosen by Google).

My conclusion is: "It may not be the ideal piano for those looking for a soft, subdued, more meditative sound. It is, instead, an instrument of extreme realism, extrovert, spectacular, showing its natural talents when combined with instruments of equal realism.

Extremely refined, infinitely customizable, it is sold as a "light" version, but consists of 34 GB of compresses samples, and features extremely advanced qualities. Like the rest of the Special Edition, this "inexpensive" piano should not be underestimated: it is a very powerful instrument, very capable, which VSL seems to use as a Trojan horse to invite you to buy the most expensive full version.

The price, already reasonable for the entire first volume of the Synchron-ized Special Edition, becomes negligible for those who update from the old Special Edition.

In the end, this is a very playable, extremely adjustable, easy to use, relatively light instrument. And it comes together with a beautiful collection of orchestral instruments. A great way to go into the VSL world, but also just to get an excellent piano sample."

Paolo

Last edited:
To make it short ...
I tested it more, and I like it more :)

I also had some time to test it, it crashed my C10 once with just one instance lol but I hope it was something isolated. Really impressed with the update (and the price point)

Hi,

If you like to listen to some audio examples that are not professionally produced, and may be used as a comparison from a common user's perspective, I just published a review of the piano alone in my web site.

The review is still only in Italian (I hope to have it in English in a few days). However, if you like, you can listen to the audio examples in a couple of the pages:

Preset (The presets)

Il suono (How it sounds)

Please note that these pages contain advertising (automatically chosen by Google).

Paolo
Your examples really highlight the "grandness" of this "Light" Steinway. I'm very pleased with it.

I had thought about trying these as a taster, as Epic Orchestra 2.0 didn't cover the instruments I was interested in for current projects, but I've spent too much lately and also had less of Special Edition than I thought. It was how I first broke into VSL, but I never went beyond SE1+2 and their expansions, so I'd have to pay more for Synchron-ized 3+4 (which have most of what I'm interested in).

It seems likely that the full libraries will be Synchron-ized after all, based on how much is already a part of the expanded Special Edition. My interest is a bit more in the Percussion stuff, just to see if that helps the older stuff like Lithophone blend even better with the new Synchron Percussion library. I use a LOT of percussion in my music.

Have you tried first upgrading to the SE Bundle? Might be cheaper if you are planning to upgrade everything.
The percussion sounds great, but the included Synchron Percussion is awsome!

Downloaded and tried the VSL Synchron D 'Light' from SE Vol. 1. This is my first time trying any of the Synchron pianos, and my initial impressions are that it is quite good, definitely worth the $39 upgrade price.

My first surprise was that the Synchron D was very playable out of the box. On almost every other piano VST, I have to tweak a lot of settings and sometimes add a velocity curve plugin in order to get reasonable playability (Pianoteq and Garritan CFX being the notable exceptions.)

I also think it sounds as good as Garritan CFX, my favorite piano VST. The only thing that bothers me is that the tone is so cold-sounding. It reminds me of another piano VST (I believe 8dio 1928 Steinway).

Turning up the body and sympathetic settings help, but it still has a very cold sound.

It would be nice if VSL would make the Synchon D 'Light' available as a separate purchase. I personally don't feel any need to upgrade to more mics and velocities, and I'm sure many people would be interested in an affordable, lightweight version of the Synchron D.

The only thing that bothers me is that the tone is so cold-sounding
This is why the Synchron CFX stays my favorite piano. Same quality, but warmer and not so harsh sounding compared to the Synchron D. But it's nice to have both pianos with different sounds to use what works best in the context.

There's a "Light" (~33 GB) version of the Synchron Steinway in the SYNCHRON-ized SE Vol. 1.
problem is isown program thats why i dont found it...but now found and i dont at least liked it way i can use it generic piano but some own uses maybe still.

I think the piano is incredible. Loaded it up, put my hands on the keyboard and was positively gobsmacked by the sound coming out of the monitors. This is actually a pretty crazy deal.

Yes, it's a strong, bright, assertive sound. That's great. It's not an intimate or "let me play this single piano note for my trailer track" type of piano.

Thought about buying this just for the piano but my vsl discount (while significant) is not as much as many other cases here hence I don’t own any special editions but rather have individual instruments.

Story short:
- Synchron SE 1 will round up around $200
- VSL D-274 standard library (not light) will round up around $264

Might as well buy the standard with more velocity layers and Decca mics.

Do somebody know if this Synchronized SE could be put in a new E-Licenser, so that I could use the OLD VSL SE in other computer with the old E-Licenser?

Do somebody know if this Synchronized SE could be put in a new E-Licenser, so that I could use the OLD VSL SE in other computer with the old E-Licenser?

Pretty sure you can, since they're different licenses... but I'm not 100% sure.

Top Bottom