What's new

Synchron-ized Special Edition

VgsA

Abel Vegas
For as low price as 35EUR, I got this!

I already loved VSL SE, and I think this is going to be a blast to have on my laptop for sketching, or even for final stuff when it comes to specific stuff like the woodwinds. I think the price (upgrade) was a joke, so I just got it. Still haven't received it, so I can't comment, but it does look really cool! And if it turns out I don't like it, I still can use the older version, that's awesome!

So, does anyone have it? Or can comment about the synchron player? Anything would be helpful! :)

For as low price as 35EUR, I got this!

I already loved VSL SE, and I think this is going to be a blast to have on my laptop for sketching, or even for final stuff when it comes to specific stuff like the woodwinds. I think the price (upgrade) was a joke, so I just got it. Still haven't received it, so I can't comment, but it does look really cool! And if it turns out I don't like it, I still can use the older version, that's awesome!

So, does anyone have it? Or can comment about the synchron player? Anything would be helpful! :)

It's easier to work with.

Since I already own the full Super Package and the old SE Vol.1, I too plan to use this new library on a laptop. A great improvement over the old Kontakt VSL library!

Paolo

This library sounds amazing, not after a lot of tweaking but just after loading a preset.

It's easier to work with.
Specially when it has that automatic spacing system, right?

Since I already own the full Super Package and the old SE Vol.1, I too plan to use this new library on a laptop. A great improvement over the old Kontakt VSL library!
I'm still not sure if the samples included with Kontakt are the same as VSL SE, are they?

This library sounds amazing, not after a lot of tweaking but just after loading a preset.
Word, I wonder how much they tweaked the samples (they say the re-edited the sample database) and if they set the modwheel for dynamics instead of having to manually map it (which was a bit of a pain, to be honest).

Really excited about this one, SE was my first orchestral library (as in non-ensembles) and I still cherish its tone and playability!

For fun, a track I made back in the day, with only SE in a laptop! (I added a choir but I don't remember which one).

A question for owners of the VI Special Edition series and now upragded to this; I picked up Teldex MirX a while ago, and while it helped position the instruments, it didn't help with the general soullessness I get from VSL on most of their instruments.

Has this Synchron version added anything in its sample editing to inject that, or is this really just a new sample player, IR and some lower velocity layer keyboards?

Not trying to be pesimistic, but I stopped using the Special Editions because they never inspired me.

@Ihnoc Have you ever tried using the velocity crossfade? Works great with VSL instruments. I use a breath controller for this.

Seems like a no brainer to me o_O What's the catch?
Right??

Has this Synchron version added anything in its sample editing to inject that, or is this really just a new sample player, IR and some lower velocity layer keyboards?
I don't have it yet, so no idea, sorry! I was also going to buy the MIRx Teldex pack, but with this option... I think I won't need it. But about the lack of soul you're mentioning, I think it's due to the velocity XF as well, like Ben said.

Reactions: Ben

I don't think there is anything different, VSL libraries has to be performed, not only with dynamics or expression, you have to play with attack and release, too.

The very good thing with this new version is that all articulations and all instruments are balanced (take Orchestral Tools for comparison).

I don't think there is anything different, VSL libraries has to be performed, not only with dynamics or expression, you have to play with attack and release, too.

I've used velocity crossfade up the wazoo and found looking at the dynamic range slider and humanization features (Vienna Instruments Pro) do help. Perhaps I'm not adding enough granularity to the ADSR so I will try that.

After many attempts to put the Special Edition in my template, only the winds and some percussion really sit right with me. There's just this sterile quality to the performances that I struggle to believe putting the Synchron workflow in will change. VSL SE was my first library and I'm firmly in the 'wet camp' now for this reason.

Having said that, I make orchestral music as hobby, not a profession. I'm sure many composers find the library useful and demos VSL provide (even before the Synchron-ized update) show you can make great music with it. This update will surely only make it easier.

I look forward to hearing some user demos.

How does this compare to the original VI SE combined with the Teldex MIRx? Is there enough improvement that an upgrade is worth it?

Specially when it has that automatic spacing system, right?

I'm still not sure if the samples included with Kontakt are the same as VSL SE, are they?

Word, I wonder how much they tweaked the samples (they say the re-edited the sample database) and if they set the modwheel for dynamics instead of having to manually map it (which was a bit of a pain, to be honest).

Really excited about this one, SE was my first orchestral library (as in non-ensembles) and I still cherish its tone and playability!

For fun, a track I made back in the day, with only SE in a laptop! (I added a choir but I don't remember which one).

nice music. btw modwheel thing is good and ad sometimes if you want play two patches same keysusing another controler for patch x and sometihng for patch y like you layer for eample flute and clarinet for example.

and i undetstand this verion comes with virtual hall where is put instruments? adding reverb is worst part using vsl stuff.

and i undetstand this verion comes with virtual hall where is put instruments? adding reverb is worst part using vsl stuff.
Yes, exactly. Reverb is already included and matched between the instruments. You get different presets to choose from (close, classic, ambient...) and you can disable all reverb if you want.

Hello Ben,

Is the output only stereo ? If yes, say we need 4.0, we could use 2 instances : one with classic reverb and one with ambient for example. Is it right ?
Is the presets list shown on the website ?

Could not test much yet, but the Piano is unbelievable ... for 35€ !!!
I was thinking about getting one of the synchron pianos, but don't see a real need anymore

Thanks VSL!

Top Bottom