What's new

Synchron-ized Special Edition

Ben

VSL Support
Thank you :)
I mixed Orchestral Strings (+1dB) with Appassionata (-2 dB) and Solo Strings (-5 dB).
I used the same velocity crossfade curves, but altered the expression curves to avoid static soundling long notes and to match the sections better together.

Not sure as you only have the woodwind sections and not a complete Volume.
As far as I know the single sections of special edition will be retired soon (only the Volumes will be available thereafter) and the new synchronized variation does not have single sections but only volumes 1 to 4 and 1-Plus/2-Plus.
Seems like a great time to snag some Silent Stage SE sections.

I've heard great things about their woodwinds, but how is the brass (outside of Epic Horns) and percussion?

dhlkid

I just upgraded to Synchronized SE 1
But after I installed the files. And try to load patch in Synchron Player, it said Unable to load xxxx

Anybody know why?

Ben

VSL Support
Seems like a great time to snag some Silent Stage SE sections.
Imo there is no reason to get anything from the old SE, except when you need to complete something to get the upgrade price to the syn. SE. The Synchronized SE does not only come with more articulations but also more instruments as well as the new player which includes multiple presets per instrument and a lot of new features. The reverb is not baked into the samples but can be turned off completly if you want. You will get the same dry sound as with the old SE.

I've heard great things about their woodwinds, but how is the brass (outside of Epic Horns) and percussion?
The percussion is good, but depedning of what you need you will miss some instruments. The included parts of the Synchron Percussion are awsome!
Brass is perfect imo, only the Solo Horns can be a challenging to mix as they tend to go under in the mix. But it is definitv better with the Synchronized version.
In the soundtrack I posted you can hear the Bb Trumpet in the beginning.

Ben

VSL Support
I just upgraded to Synchronized SE 1
But after I installed the files. And try to load patch in Synchron Player, it said Unable to load xxxx

Anybody know why?
Update the eLicenser as well as the Synchron player to the latest version and make sure that your license is showing in the eLicenser Control panel.

gtrwll

Imo there is no reason to get anything from the old SE, except when you need to complete something to get the upgrade price to the syn. SE.
Well, another reason would be the individual sections, if the buyer needs only one section or so.

DaddyO

I just went ahead and spent the $160 to add the Synchronized Special Edition Bundle to my VI Special Edition Bundle. It was such a comparatively small sum for what you get, why not?

I can use it for initial composition using Cubase Instrument Tracks rather than messing with Rack Instruments connected to VE Pro and MIR Pro. And while I prefer VI Pro at this time, I am hedging my bets against the possibility that most future VSL development will be devoted to the Synchron Player environment.

mikefrommontreal

So I downloaded Synchron yesterday, and had the opportunity to try it out this morning.

And so far, while I like the new GUI, and ease of use, I find that the new sounds sound extremely far away, even after disabling the reverb. It's like the old version was too dry and upfront, and the new version sounds like it was recorded across the lake in an amphitheater.

It seems like I'd almost have to use both version and try and find a balance between them. I don't want to do that of course, since one version is pre panned and the other is not. Am I doing something wrong?

Pixelpoet1985

So I downloaded Synchron yesterday, and had the opportunity to try it out this morning.

And so far, while I like the new GUI, and ease of use, I find that the new sounds sound extremely far away, even after disabling the reverb. It's like the old version was too dry and upfront, and the new version sounds like it was recorded across the lake in an amphitheater.

It seems like I'd almost have to use both version and try and find a balance between them. I don't want to do that of course, since one version is pre panned and the other is not. Am I doing something wrong?
There are two reverbs applied, if I remember correctly. The IR (which make this library SYNCHRON-ized) and an additional algo reverb. You have to deactivate both of them.

Maybe there also is an EQ applied which has to be turned off.

Reactions: Ben

Manuel Stumpf

For most instruments 3 things are different, all can be configured in the MIX tab:
  • EQ at the top of the "Main" channel
  • The reverb channel beside it
  • The Impulse Response (IR), difficult to find I also missed that first. It hides under the small rectangle with a wave like symbol
SynchronPlayer_EQ_Reverb_IR.png

joebaggan

So if I understand this VSL deal right, you won't be able to buy individual SE sections anymore (e.g. strings or woodwinds) and they won't offer Synchronized versions of the sections? You have to buy all instruments as part of a "Vol 1" Synchronized edition?

One thing about VSL, they slice and dice their offerings in so many elaborate and confusing ways, it almost looks like deliberate subterfuge. With all their packages and re-packaging of the same thing, they are quite good capitalists.

Manuel Stumpf

So if I understand this VSL deal right, you won't be able to buy individual SE sections anymore (e.g. strings or woodwinds) and they won't offer Synchronized versions of the sections? You have to buy all instruments as part of a "Vol 1" Synchronized edition?
That's how I understand it.

mikefrommontreal

There are two reverbs applied, if I remember correctly. The IR (which make this library SYNCHRON-ized) and an additional algo reverb. You have to deactivate both of them.

Maybe there also is an EQ applied which has to be turned off.

Aha, ok. Thank you. I don't want to eliminate everything of course, otherwise that would defeat the point of the library. Maybe just bring it under control a bit. :) Thanks!

Ben

VSL Support
With all their endless packages and re-packaging, they are quite good capitalists.
How? It is true that you can get lost by the high count of all the different products that VSL has. But if they sell a product based on another product (upgrade) or the product is in a collection, you will get always an upgrade price.

mikefrommontreal

For most instruments 3 things are different, all can be configured in the MIX tab:
  • EQ at the top of the "Main" channel
  • The reverb channel beside it
  • The Impulse Response (IR), difficult to find I also missed that first. It hides under the small rectangle with a wave like symbol
View attachment 20776
Thank you for this! Yeah, I think I just prefer to use VSS since I'm combining it with other libraries.

ka00

That’s how I understand it as well. I recently bought woodwinds plus for about a $100 and to get the Synchronized version will need to buy the full volume 1 plus and then the upgrade. Current promotion plus special upgrade based on what I own is 198 Euros. I’m mainly interested in the solo winds though. So I bought Berlin Woodwinds Exp B yesterday instead during the completion days sale for 174 euros.

Whenever I hear talk about completing “collections” etc, I feel like we are baseball card collectors or something. And it reminds me how much of this is just consumerism (unless you are really making this stuff shine with your music or vice versa).

The word completion in this context also reminds me of that scene in Fight Club where Tyler talks about the stuff you own ending up owning you (see credit card debt) with the quote: “I say never be complete. Let’s evolve.” Hard advice to follow, but I might just have to.

Last edited:

joebaggan

How? It is true that you can get lost by the high count of all the different products that VSL has. But if they sell a product based on another product (upgrade) or the product is in a collection, you will get always an upgrade price.
A bit of a clever marketing trick involved here though right? If I re-package essentially the same samples under a different name, then I can charge an "upgrade" price and even offer a "discount" to those who bought the original version. Makes you feel like you got a great deal! VSL are masters of this kind of thing.

Ben

VSL Support
VSL are masters of this kind of thing.
Not what I've experienced. There are some sample manufacturers that sell you the same samples over and over again every ~3 years in a new package. Not so VSL: You have the SE versions which are entry level products. You can upgrade these to the single instruments, which can be upgraded to the collections. With every upgrade you'll get additional samples.

Now with the Synchron-Series there are the new recorded instruments (Syn Percussion, Strings I, Pianos) and Synchronized instruments. These are remastered and repackaged versions of the traditional VI instruments. You don't have to buy the "re-packaged" samples again, but depending on the effort you pay the upgrade price for re-mastering, creating all the different presets, included reverb, new player and added content.

Top Bottom