What's new

Synapse Audio OBSESSION OB-Xa Synth Released !

OP-X Pro II is old and still sounds great and better than Arturia to my ears..Zebra is even older iirc..I'm no DSP programmer but if it sounds good, age doesn't matter to me..
Absolutely. In the same vein, arturia cs80 v1.0 was way better than v 2.0, don't know what happens inbetween. Same for their jupiter 8. Same for Airmusictech Hybrid synth. I bought it when it was protools only and it sounded really great. The v2, not so, don't know why.
Sometimes it sounds great from the start.
High hopes for Obsession !

It's coming soon and will be priced to compete. :)

Compared to say.... u-he stuff how much resources on a PC?

I agree with comments about Arturia. Bang-for-the-buck, it's Arturia. But their older stuff still does need updating. And contrary to above, I prefer the later versions. Ill never use CS-80v1 again. Actually I use MemoryMoon and feel it's closer, even though I have never owned a CS-80 so I could be jaded.

If you are big into Roland Jupiter 8, Juno, JX3 I feel the purchase of a System 8 is the best bang-for-the-buck synth purchase I have ever made. And I own a lot of hardware synths.

If you are a purist, love shoot-outs, and believe a VST lacks mojo, then buy from different 3rd party developers, and in a lot of cases pay a lot more than the Arturia collection.

Finally, I have never seen Arturia discounted more than at BF. That applies for individual plugs, and the collection.

True, unworkable gui. But some of the presets were just second to none and what a sound ! Loved it.

So when you ran the old presets through the presets importer they or some sounded different? Arturia I think admits this, but I guess I haven't paid that much attention, probably because I use some pretty bread n butter type presets.

So when you ran the old presets through the presets importer they or some sounded different? Arturia I think admits this, but I guess I haven't paid that much attention, probably because I use some pretty bread n butter type presets.
Yes, unfortunately they just don’t sound the same at all ! Some sound closer than others, though.

I hope Synapse will offer a bundle including Obsession and the Legend as I've been meaning to get the Legend for some time and I have a feeling I'll want this as well if it's as good as the Legend. Really looking forward to further news on release.

Here is Richard of Synapse Audio commenting on KVR about the release of Obsession :

Quote:

" Getting very close
:)
Beta testers have been incredible, responding to new versions lighting fast so we could make rapid progress and pretty much finish the plugin. Some work is left to do on the factory library and manual. Hard to estimate how long this will take exactly, but roughly 1-2 weeks should be realistic."

Last edited:
I literally purchased Arturia OB the day it came out and now this! OMG! I wish I would have waited! I can't wait to see how this will sound in comparison to Arturia.

I literally purchased Arturia OB the day it came out and now this! OMG! I wish I would have waited! I can't wait to see how this will sound in comparison to Arturia.

Not much to go on yet, but, based on what’s posted online, I’m glad I held off on the Arturia. The Synapse snippets are sounding a lot like a hardware synth. Having both would certainly cover most of your Oberheim needs!

The Legend is straight up brilliant. I used to have a Model D and bought The Legend to work parts out quickly in the DAW with a view to replacing them with the real thing. But it was so good and so much more flexible (and less hassle) I decided to get rid of the Moog. I very occasionally miss turning it on and playing it, but the many sample libraries I bought with the cash more than compensated for the loss.

Synapse Audio's DUNE 3 is my favorite VST Synth, I don't have The Legend, but I have the Moog-D, I also have an OB-6 desktop model, so it would be interesting to see if Obsession can emulate the sonic character of the OB-6.

The Legend is straight up brilliant. I used to have a Model D and bought The Legend to work parts out quickly in the DAW with a view to replacing them with the real thing. But it was so good and so much more flexible (and less hassle) I decided to get rid of the Moog. I very occasionally miss turning it on and playing it, but the many sample libraries I bought with the cash more than compensated for the loss.
I hear you. I'm using The Legend to add some bass to an adventure track. I was amazed at how fast my traditional adventure track turned into a hybrid slammin' cue. My only problem is to not over use it, it sounds so good. I've never had a plugin that could support an entire orchestra like this one does. The only part about the Legend is it doesn't do polyphony well so I keep it as a mono and unison synth.

If The Legend is any indication then Obsession is going to be brilliant and it will be finally good to have a very convincing analog poly emulation.

Synapse Audio's DUNE 3 is my favorite VST Synth, I don't have The Legend, but I have the Moog-D, I also have an OB-6 desktop model, so it would be interesting to see if Obsession can emulate the sonic character of the OB-6.

I went with Hive 2 over Dune 3 because I thought it was easier to use and sounded better, but I do have The Legend (but I also have an SE-02). I also have an OB-6 desktop. The OB-6 is a unique instrument that fully belongs in the Oberheim family in terms of sound. It's largely unique because of Dave Smith's influence. An OBXa will sound familiar (and does, based on videos of the actual synth as well as Arturia and Obsession clips) to an OB-6 owner, but they are different, and have different strengths and weaknesses. In other words, Obsession + OB-6 seems like it will be an incredible combo for those who love the Oberheim family of sound.

Top Bottom