What's new

Switching to one massive screen?

Window management is the main reason I haven't yet taken the plunge to a single big-ass display. The tools I've seen from display manufacturers (at least for Windows) were left wanting.

I wish we would have better multi desktop utilities in Win10. Working in vfx we usually use linux / CentOS which has very robust multi desktop setups. So by Ctrl/Alt and left/right arrow clicking I can switch between 4 or even 8 independant desktops - very robust. Don't know if thats available in Win.
As a Linux lifer, this was always one of the most aggravating things about Windows.

Fortunately, Windows 10 does have virtual desktop capability. Unfortunately, the UX blows. If all you want to do is change desktops by direction and you're ok with a horizontal only layout, then you might be able to live with it.

In my case, my muscle memory from the last 25 years of desktop use was ctrl-alt-<n> and it's hard to unlearn that. On Windows, I use the Virtual Desktop Enhancer which lets me bind custom keys to specific desktops, and keys to toggle pinning the focused window to all desktops. Unfortunately VDE is abandoned, but I'm happy to say it still works even on Windows 1903.

I switched from dual 24" to a single 34" ultrawide (3440x1440) a few years ago and find the newer setup much easier to work with, especially since Cubase made the move closer to a single-window interface a few years ago. I have a second 3440x1440 monitor above a dual-controller keyboard setup to the right with a mirrored view. So I basically have two setups with an identical view: one for playing and one for editing. I've tried for years to work with a single setup but I can't have both a MIDI keyboard and computer keyboard/mouse in front of me in a way that makes both comfortable. The 90 degree spin is an easy compromise but you do have to buy two monitors, two computer keyboards and two mice. And it takes up more space. But there's no wrist strain and no squashed body parts.

The two keys for window management for me are the new Cubase layout that allows me to hit the "e" key to close/open the lower editor window (which also shows the mixer) and one of those thumb-button mice that uses the thumb to bring up the window list.

I also do a lot of work in Cubase on a 4k laptop and I definitely prefer the ultrawide format, even at the expense of some vertical screen space. Ultimately though this is one of those personal preference things.

rgames

The only times having multiple desktops isn't just as good as separate physical monitors are the rare times I need to see two full-screen things at once for comparison.

And with one big monitor + one "small" one (40" 1080p five feet away), for me those times are pretty close to nonexistent.

The problem with touchscreen monitors is that you have to be close to them to reach them. That would screw up my ergonomics, to say nothing of being uncomfortable.

On the other hand, Logic Control on an iPad (or better yet iPhone) is great.

But with this as with everything else, we're not all the same person and we don't all have the same body.

I've been dreaming about getting a second monitor as a touch screen for MIDI CC and automation editing. Some magic day when I have more space and more money. Can you please elaborate a bit more about it? Some specific questions:
- do you feel it requires "multitouch" or just "touch" to be useful for drawing automation?
- do you feel like automation drawing would work well for a smaller touch screen, like a 24" monitor or even a tablet? (I've read that mac users have screen cloning apps that work well for tablets, I don't know if windows/android have anything like that though)
- Is there special software on your 42" multitouch? Does effective automation drawing require the special software?
- Have you had any frustrations about a secondary monitor being touch and the primary not being touch?

Cheers!
Sure!
- do you feel it requires "multitouch" or just "touch" to be useful for drawing automation?

No, single touch is all you need really since your just drawing in with your fingertip or passive pen. These Multitouch frames, PQ Labs start at 2 touch points ranging up to 32 I think for the frames I have. I have one 10 point which is the main one and actually one sitting around that's 2 point I never got around to using.

- do you feel like automation drawing would work well for a smaller touch screen, like a 24" monitor or even a tablet?

In my experience anything lower than a 27" becomes difficult to select items, menus, ect. It gets too cramped. You might have no issue drawing in the automation but you'll end up using your mouse for most others tasks.

- Is there special software on your 42" multitouch?

Yes, I'm running dTouch for Cubase win10 which is an overlay on top of Cubase. Company is Devil Technologies. That's what you see in the pic I posted. It's on a custom mixer view there. I have setup 8 different work spaces with different mixers and project window combos. Touch of a button and I'm there. Very fast workflow but it does take some time to build up all the macros you'll need and folders you want containing those macros.

Does effective automation drawing require the special software?

Not in Cubase as opening and sizing the automation lanes in regular Cubase without the dTouch overlay isn't too bad. Drawing in is fine. Just use your keyboard to do the zooming. But with the dTouch overlay there's a navigation bar you can select to zoom all, zoom exclusive, ect. Move your finger up and down for horizontal and left and right for vertical zoom.
20190609_190454.jpg

- Have you had any frustrations about a secondary monitor being touch and the primary not being touch?

Yes, using the 42" at 1080p and the 27" 4k in win10, the menus vanish or don't appear at all. It's a DPI scaling issue with Cubase on win10. So I have to set the 4k to 1080p. Then all is fine. And one being touch and the other not works fine

Cheers!

Last edited:
Over on one 38" here. Friend recommended it to me, since I need it for work with spreadsheets and server rerporting also. Thought I would not get used to it, but I love it.
I went for the U3818DW from Dell, because it has triple KVM for my three machines:
-2018 Mac Mini
-i7 4770K PC
-2012 Mac Pro 12-Core

Well worth the switch, though, anything bigger than this for me would be overkill
Replaces two 25" Dell U2515Hs :)

Top Bottom