Swapping 2nd Violins & Celli in the stereo field?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by jamwerks, Jun 23, 2018.

1. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I'm getting more and more used to the sound of having the 2nd Violins far right and Celli center-left. All our recent live recordings used this seating, and I'm looking to match my string libraries to this layout.

Has anyone done this for SSS, SCS or CSS ? I'm wondering if inverting the stereo files would be a good starting point, or if you opted for stereo panning only?...

2. The Darris

The Darris Senior Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I'd saying inverting would be your best options as you would lose the stereo image if you only panned normally.

jamwerks likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    How would one go about inverting the stereo files? In Kontakt, VEP or in the DAW?

4. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    iirc it is explained in this video around the 6 minute mark:

jamwerks likes this.
  5. The Darris

The Darris Senior Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I would do it within your DAW as it's easier to keep track of settings like that. But, yeah, Kontakt has that feature available and it's quite nifty, especially if you want to layer instruments together like Spitfire's Harp. Since it was recorded in position, you can load two instances on the same channel, do the transpose trick to avoid phasing, and then flip the stereo image on one of them and boom, you have a stereo version of that instrument. Sure, it's not as good as the real deal but it works will when you want something more "solo-esque" compared to the recorded in position sound.

MartinH., jamwerks and tav.one like this.