What's new

SWAM 'All in Bundle' as my one-and-only library: Tell me if I'm wrong.

My impression is that SWAM strings go for complete realism. For example, an open string is not available for vibrato.
That's an interesting distinction. Thanks for mentioning it.

SWAM is unique in many ways. In my early days I understand SWAM's reliance on some(any) application of Expression cc, but am sometimes surprised/confused by it. If you don't press that expression pedal, no sound. And when I open the Midi Activity window in Studio One I'm surprised to see a continual midi stream because I happened to leave the expression pedal partially pressed (it's my first expression pedal).

I like what I'm learning about SWAM. It's a set of INSTRUMENTS that require a unique approach. Amazing sounds for sure, but SWAM is more than "sounds." It's playable instruments that share some common attributes, but each one has its own characteristics. I'm LEARNING to PLAY SWAM in the general sense, and to play individual SWAM instruments. It's similar to learning to play guitar or any physical instrument.

I know some here don't like SWAM timbre,
So, it's been about a month since you bought it and I'm really curious to hear what you think of the Flutes.

I stopped with SWAM Flutes at v.2 because the middle register (around B-C-D4) had this really boomy and nasal tone that I just couldn't get rid of, as if they shoved the microphone right into the tube itself recording the attack samples. I love SWAM double reeds and use them exclusively.

How do you find them flutes?

So, it's been about a month since you bought it and I'm really curious to hear what you think of the Flutes.

I stopped with SWAM Flutes at v.2 because the middle register (around B-C-D4) had this really boomy and nasal tone that I just couldn't get rid of, as if they shoved the microphone right into the tube itself recording the attack samples. I love SWAM double reeds and use them exclusively.

How do you find them flutes?
I haven't done anything with the flutes. I've been sifting through SWAM All In and realize there aren't just the 33 instruments. There are variations of many of them, so it's a suprisingly deep inventory. SWAM ain't cheap, but you get a LOT to work with.

Been thrashing about with the Strings, mostly. And the Saxophones are addictive, even without breath control (yet) so I've been staying away from those. Ha. I didn't expect to buy the SWAM AIB until Black Friday in November, but a VI-C user popped up looking to sell at an excellent price, so I had to jump 'NOW.' I'm working a lot lately, so not much time to get lost in SWAM (sounds like a drowning...).

When I find time, I will see if I notice the tonal issue you describe. Is there one particular flute? I'm using v.3 so whatever I do might not help you. If I do find the issue you describe, I might try parametric EQ (virtual effect in Studio One DAW) or multi-band compression set for that particular set of frequencies. Or a combination of both, and maybe a few other effects, if I think they might help. Assuming you're not purely about playing live, have you tried editing the expression envelope in your DAW midi track? Or perhaps adjusting some other SWAM articulation? (Yeah, I'm new at this). My thought is that reducing the emphasis (by limiting the Expression curve) might lessen the offending tone.

Top Bottom