What's new

Sustain Pedal Bug in K2

Hans Adamson

I found a bug affecting the sustain pedal in K2 v.2.1.0.006

It is easy to reproduce:

Press down the sustain pedal. Play a chord loudly ten times. Immediately release the sustain pedal. Ten instances of the release sample will be played at the same time upon release of the sustain pedal resulting in a loud burst of notes.

It is good that NI has implemented release triggers on pedal up, but there should only be one instance of the release triggered per note, no matter how many times the key has been played.

Is this a known bug?

Hi Hans,

I'm not at my studio right now, but I'll look into it when I get back in. I use the sustain quite a bit on some SI Spic strings runs (it sort of glues the preformance together because the whole sample rings out) and I haven't experienced it yet.

I'll let you know when I get a chance.

THanks for the head's up.

T

I found a bug affecting the sustain pedal in K2 v.2.1.0.006

It is easy to reproduce:

Press down the sustain pedal. Play a chord loudly ten times. Immediately release the sustain pedal. Ten instances of the release sample will be played at the same time upon release of the sustain pedal resulting in a loud burst of notes.

It is good that NI has implemented release triggers on pedal up, but there should only be one instance of the release triggered per note, no matter how many times the key has been played.

Is this a known bug?

Hi Hans,
Thanks for posting this. I reproduced this in K2.1.1 standalone in windows. This problem is really serious :!:
I'm not really sure I like NI's implementation of release triggers on pedal up - I've had a problem with pedal-up release-samples being triggered when I release a pedal-down sample. Basically if you setup a piano with group start conditions like this:
  • pedal-up - CC64 < 50%
  • pedal-down - CC64 > 50%
  • pedal-up release samples - CC64 < 50%
then the pedal-up release samples will be played when you release the pedal even though their group start condition dictates that they should only be played when the pedal is not pressed. The problem seems to be that when the pedal is released, CC64 first goes from 127 to 0 before Kontakt checks the group start conditions. I would like it to be the other way around, because then one could have either pedal-up specific release samples or different release samples for the two layers. With the current situation, it doesn't seem to be possible to use CC64 in group start conditions for release samples. This has been a problem for me with sampletekk's Black Grand. The strange thing is that if you extract the release samples into their own instrument they behave differently and things work like I would want it too. I found that out because TBO ran into the group/zone limit and had to be split into multiple instruments and then it works just fine.

Hans, have you reported the problem to NI yet?
If not, maybe you could mention both these problems.

Nils

Thanks Nils,

I have reported the bug already. I can report the "Start Options/Sustain Pedal Release" bug too, but I would like some answer from NI first on my initial report, just so there is no confusion.

Top Bottom