Superior Drummer 3

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by jononotbono, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Guy Rowland

Guy Rowland Senior Member

Dec 13, 2012
    I'm a big fan (who hated SD2), but I often use other SDX/EZXs - I actually prefer the SD2 library which has more of an edge. While the core SD3 library does have a particular sound, the player as a whole doesn't and its so quick, easy and versatile in use you can make it do pretty much anything.

jononotbono likes this.
  2. GtrString

GtrString Active Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Denmark
    +1 The Massenburg kits are incredible. There is also a new orchestral percussion expansion coming out in Q2 2019 (probably also produced by Massenburg).

Garlu likes this.
  3. Mark Schmieder

Mark Schmieder Active Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Concord CA
    SD3 is what spurred me to finally move away from BFD3 -- a VI that I have been unhappy with since Day 1, as I feel they removed some important features and workflows from BFD2. Finally, SD3 is almost on part feature-wise, and the newer libraries are as detailed as BFD's but usually better recorded (although BFD has been up to the challenge with their recent additions).

It's really easy to go to the Mix page and turn off all the weird stuff that is modeled as a microphone, such as the pre-compressed drums, and other such stuff that doesn't always play well with projects but might work well live. I never use presets; I always start with the raw kits.

Unlike in BFD, I find that tuning the kit pieces is a disaster, even if by just a hair. Re-saving the pitch-shifted kit piece would be expected to take care of the artifacts, but it sounds very artificial to me; whereas BFD's pitch shifting sounded very natural to me even if by as much as a minor third.

As a result, I have changed the way I work, and now choose drum kits based on the pitches they were recorded at, alongside the other considerations such as resonance, how the kit fits the song and genre, etc. I do still customize things a bit, but not nearly as much as in BFD, where I would spend eons on bleed, mic mixes, etc. I rarely touch individual kit piece settings in SD3.

shawnsingh likes this.
  4. Mark Schmieder

Mark Schmieder Active Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Concord CA
    All rules are meant to be broken, so I should point out that there are a few producer-presets in newer libraries that I have found can be good starting points, or at least during early song mock-ups.

I too prefer SD2's default kits to SD3's, as there was more range overall. There are some weird settings in some of those kits that I have to remember to edit before use, but they have saved me on a few songs where nothing else would do, due to a combination of dryness, pitch, availability of brushes, rods, mallets, etc.

The one weakness I continue to detect in SD3 is that it's not very big on China Cymbals or Splash Cymbals. They are rarely set in the kit to start with, and even finding individual ones to load, doesn't present one with many choices.

On the other hand, as many choices as BFD had with all the expansions (Zildjian Cymbal Vault etc.), the organization scheme and the slow-then-jumpy browsing made it near impossible to find anything (in BFD3; BFD2 was wonderful in this regard), there was usually a graininess that I couldn't live with, or really bad pitch and/or harshness. I forget what mics they tended to use; maybe that was it. Even editing the kit pieces didn't help me much. I find SD3's (and expansion packs) cymbals/hi-hats to really sit well in the mix. The ride cymbals alone put BFD3 (and expansions) to shame.

shawnsingh likes this.