What's new

Super solid MIDI Expression pedal ?

FC7s are my favorite still.
But if you really like CV + MIDI The Reflex is the apex of control, period.
5 x separate CC#’s and one out into CV Input of the Studio Electronics EXT w/ SE-02 is impressive and so easy to calibrate to taste I can just slam it down or back and apply Lag Processing so it’s modified to hit its destinations by your choice or curves and timing.
Run MIDI Into it to access 128 different configurations.
I have it matched to my Controllers performances.
I change a scene inside of a performance it follows.
A fantastic tool for live work, so in the studio you’ll speed up your workflow exponentially.

06CCEA1D-4CA8-4A3E-A269-9EFCA0A218E5.jpeg D03EDD2E-0FF9-4281-8658-BBB4B14114C2.jpeg
Thanks, yeah, I definitely looked at this, before opting for the FC7 (largely on the strength of EvilDragon's recommendation earlier in this thread - this guy really knows his stuff!). I do like the Reflex, but the FC7 is $40 and the Reflex is $220. Personally, I can't justify 6x the cost, just to control expression (which is all I'll use it for) - the extra functionality it has, for me, I don't think I'd use it. Does look good though.

The FC7 is now working great (except for that damn annoying STOP button light now blinking away on my s88 - what the hell is causing that!).

Thanks, yeah, I definitely looked at this, before opting for the FC7 (largely on the strength of EvilDragon's recommendation earlier in this thread - this guy really knows his stuff!). I do like the Reflex, but the FC7 is $40 and the Reflex is $220. Personally, I can't justify 6x the cost, just to control expression (which is all I'll use it for) - the extra functionality it has, for me, I don't think I'd use it. Does look good though.

The FC7 is now working great (except for that damn annoying STOP button light now blinking away on my s88 - what the hell is causing that!).

Totally agree, I use several FC7s but it’s MIDI exceeds most controllers costing more money, and few people know about it. Figured I plug the guys for making such a great piece of kit.
You have to know they won’t be flying off the shelves like FC7s or EV5s, so it was from the labor of love.

And yes the Dragon reigns supreme on multiple levels, and multiple dimensions.

Does the stop button stop blinking if you unplug FC7? Highly doubtful this is related, though...

No, but I've now realized it only stops when I mouse click off the Logic screen; clicking back into Logic starts it again! :/

Happened right after I installed the 2.0.2 version of CE.

SOLVED!!

Thanks to Chris @ NI - there is an update in the new version of Komplete Kontrol (v2.0.5) that came out on Oct 25, and fixes a known issue of intermittent transport LED flicker on S-Series keyboards when used with Logic Pro X.

Great - so, for anyone considering the FC7 (comes with an EvilDragon recommendation, and for what it's worth, mine too), this can now be used with Komplete Kontrol keyboards: use v2.0.2 of Controller Editor and v2.0.5 of Komplete Kontrol.

Final update, in case anyone is reading this thinking about using the FC7 with Komplete Kontrol: NI just advised me to now try again reinstalling v2.2.5 of Controller Editor, and sure enough, the calibration option now shows up (I know for sure it didn't when I had this version installed previously, as you can see from my screenshots earlier in the thread, but now, (since installing KK v2.0.5) it works, and the calibration option is available.

So, to confirm: the FC7 can be used with s88 keyboards, using the latest drivers for both KK (v2.0.5) and CE (v2.2.5).

Last edited:
FYI these adapters work for every Controller out there.
If you have a problem where calibration is difficult or you need polarizing these Ashby FC7X-II allow the very best control of FC7s on any controller.

My controller is Italian so they use Pedals from Thomann, some are OK.
But I’m spoiled by FC7s.
They calibrate from 0-127 every time. Pretty close to the immediacy of CV Audio.
I’ve used FC7s for decades. Nothing else is wide and big with as much throw.
Can’t be without them.

E09B0A4E-5B48-4FA0-88CC-18240C317B92.jpeg 12920925-C212-4B19-B827-8BD3FA96651A.jpeg

I once bought a KORG XVP-20 to use for digital composing. The output had a logarithmic curvature though so it was impossible to make smooth swells (e.g. for string sample libraries) with it.

Are there any expression pedals that have linear output and will work with my Komplete Kontrol S61 keyboard?

An easy way to reverse the polarity of the FC7 is to get two stereo RCA adapters and connect them together the wrong way (red into black, black into red).

Yamaha-fc7-polarity-switch cable system.jpg

The photo above shows a Korg pedal, but I have done the same with my FC7 and it works perfectly with a Roland PCR-800 keyboard.

i went cheap with a Pro-Line expression pedal a while ago.

i'm using a Studiologic SL88 Studio controller.

trying to use the Pro-Line as a Wah controller and it's jumping all over the place.

what expression pedal would be compatible with the SL88?

FC7? Boss Dual?

No. A good MIDI controller will have a calibration option. If not, it's always possible to change resistance of the pedal by soldering some resistors in parallel.

Top Bottom