What's new

Super solid MIDI Expression pedal ?

I just picked up the FC7 last week and if I'm ever looking for an solid instrument with which to bludgeon someone to death, it will make a fine choice.

Works with the Kontrol S88 but I did need to flip the polarity for the expression port in the Controller Editor software.
So this will work for my Komplete Kontrol 49?! :D

Nice will have to get one
Right now I have the M-Audio EX-P, but I do find that with different libraries I don't get the full range on it and so the range feels short and expression rushed :/

Might have to look at investing in a proper pedal...browsing as I read this thread ;)

Off topic... but what's the cheapest way of connecting an expression pedal to a computer?

None of my controllers have expression pedal inputs...

I didn't know about the polarity issues, and just bought a FC7, and am having probably predictable problems with the Komplete Kontrol s88: when I use it for expression, it only modulates about 1/4 of the the range, and in the wrong direction! Presumably I need a polarity inverter cable to use it with the s88, or is there a way to do this with the Controller Editor? If not, anyone know of a polarity inverter cable that works with the FC7 available in Europe (I can't seem to find one with a 1/4 inch jack, only with a phono cable).

I didn't know about the polarity issues, and just bought a FC7, and am having probably predictable problems with the Komplete Kontrol s88: when I use it for expression, it only modulates about 1/4 of the the range, and in the wrong direction! Presumably I need a polarity inverter cable to use it with the s88, or is there a way to do this with the Controller Editor? If not, anyone know of a polarity inverter cable that works with the FC7 available in Europe (I can't seem to find one with a 1/4 inch jack, only with a phono cable).

Try: Controller Editor > Preferences > Expression Pedal > Recalibrate, Invert Range and Swap Tip/Ring

Thanks, but I don't see this option (using version 2.2.5 (R361) of Controller Editor on a Mac). This is all I see. (I checked the Native Instruments website in case my driver is out of date, but when I try to download the driver, it tells me I have a more recent version already installed). Perhaps this is only offered on the PC version? Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 5.36.22 PM.png

Last edited:
Does anyone see a different screen (with the options to recalibrate the pedal) on the PC version of Controller Editor?

You need to use an older version of CE for that option to show (1.7.4). The one that still supports Kore Controllers.

You need to use an older version of CE for that option to show (1.7.4). The one that still supports Kore Controllers.
Thanks, that almost seemed to do it, but now, having installed 1.7.4, I can see the option to recalibrate the pedal, but I can't access it, because CE will no longer connect to the s88, so the 'connect' option to the s88 is greyed out, and so is the recalibrate option (see screenshots below). I've rebooted after the install, but that didn't solve it. I can access the s88 through Komplete Kontrol in Logic, so it's communicating with the s88, just not through CE.

To install 1.7.4, I just deleted the CE folder in the Native Instruments folder (since it wouldn't let me install an older version with a newer version already on my system) - could this be the problem - should I have uninstalled the newer version first, rather than just delete the folder? Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 11.43.20 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 11.42.58 AM.png

Last edited:
I also tried it in both MIDI and application mode on the s88 (shift + instance), but this also doesn't allow CE to recognize the s88 :(

Can you try using the MIDI controller settings within KK, maybe that'll work?

Not sure if that's only working with mk2 units or not.
Assuming I'm using the correct version of KK (v2.0.3), then no, it doesn't seem like this can be controlled via the MIDI options on KK (see screenshot).

I guess that means back to trying to find a polarity inverter cable for the FC7 then? Anyone know where to pick these up (ideally in Europe)? Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 3.46.44 PM.png

Not there. In KK it shows a MIDI port icon in top right of KK GUI when you have S-series keyboard connected.

Also, your issue is not in polarity of the pedal, but the impedance and type of the potentiometer used. FC7 uses a 50 kOhm logarithmic pot, whereas great majority of other expression pedals uses 10, 15 or 20 kOhm linear pots...

So you really need that calibration procedure.

SUCCESS!!!

Version 1.7.4 wouldn't connect to my s88, so I tried a later version that still had the Kore Controller supports, and version 2.0.2 still has it, AND allowed me to connect to s88. I then just selected the 'recalibrate' option, and it had me push the pedal all the way down, then all the way up, and that was it! Pedal working! Yeah!

Thanks EvilDragon - the depth of your knowledge never ceases to amaze me on these things. Many thanks for helping me out. :)

(just to follow up on your last point, no KK doesn't show a MIDI icon - see below, so presumably that is only for mkII keyboards). Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 5.08.54 PM.png

So, a little more testing later... the FC7 is still working (and works really well - very smooth control over expression), however, one unexpected bug - the STOP button on my s88 is flashing rapidly and arrhythmically, almost like it's receiving midi data. It still functions as a stop button, and all the other transport buttons are working too, but the incessant blinking is driving me crazy. Any thoughts what's causing it, and how to stop it?

FC7s are my favorite still.
But if you really like CV + MIDI The Reflex is the apex of control, period.
5 x separate CC#’s and one out into CV Input of the Studio Electronics EXT w/ SE-02 is impressive and so easy to calibrate to taste I can just slam it down or back and apply Lag Processing so it’s modified to hit its destinations by your choice or curves and timing.
Run MIDI Into it to access 128 different configurations.
I have it matched to my Controllers performances.
I change a scene inside of a performance it follows.
A fantastic tool for live work, so in the studio you’ll speed up your workflow exponentially.

06CCEA1D-4CA8-4A3E-A269-9EFCA0A218E5.jpeg D03EDD2E-0FF9-4281-8658-BBB4B14114C2.jpeg

Top Bottom