What's new

Super solid MIDI Expression pedal ?

Usernamed

Hi everyone,
I used to own a MIDI M-Audio EX-P Expression Pedal, but an overly enthusiastic player destroyed it in a single session. I'm now looking for something more durable (ideally, built like a tank) to endure being played for a long time.
Any recommendations?
Thanks!

Smooth, robust, and tour tough and under $60 ...

Moog EP-3
Boss EV-5

Next level up, heavy duty long term survival, extension of your foot feel, about $100

Boss FV-500
Earmie Ball or Morley PVO

Last edited:
One thing to note with FC7, though, is that it has a 50 kOhm log potentiometer, which is not compatible with a decent number of MIDI controllers, most of which expect a 10 or 15 kOhm linear potentiometer. Shouldn't be a huge problem either replacing the pot, or soldering some additional resistors to tame the resistance down (however logarithmic curvature would remain). Still, well worth it for such a great pedal.

Yeah, the FC7 is the only one left on the market (that I can find anyway) with a decent range - all the others have a ridiculously short throw, which makes them very hard to control expression with any finesse. Baffles me.

I loved Roland’s EV-7 despite the plastic housing - it felt great, had wide range and was compatible with most keyboards - apparently it was recently discontinued. Grrr.

The Yamaha is killer but I’ve been through more than a dozen of them over the years. Mechanically they are built like tanks, but for some reason they just end up going bad for me over time. Careful taking them apart – that grease gets everywhere and it’s near impossible to get off of anything!

I own an AKAI MPK88 and just read in an earlier thread that Rob Elliott found a way to reliably connect the FC7 to it so I’m messaging him to ask him if he share his point of view on this matter. (PS. I’m new here and I have to say I’m impressed by everyone’s generosity, you guys are amazing, thanks a lot!)

I just picked up the FC7 last week and if I'm ever looking for an solid instrument with which to bludgeon someone to death, it will make a fine choice.

Works with the Kontrol S88 but I did need to flip the polarity for the expression port in the Controller Editor software.

Yamaha FC7 should have been the first one mentioned, honestly.

Indeed.
I have six of them, use 2 x all the time because I have size 12 feet and destroy those toy EV-5s, which are also good, just feels like a Yugo compared to a Cadillac.

FC-7s are wired so Ashby FX-7 II Adapters make them work on any controllers, even desktops with Pedal ins like BCF/BCR 2000s.

Yeah, the FC7 is the only one left on the market (that I can find anyway) with a decent range - all the others have a ridiculously short throw, which makes them very hard to control expression with any finesse. Baffles me.

I loved Roland’s EV-7 despite the plastic housing - it felt great, had wide range and was compatible with most keyboards - apparently it was recently discontinued. Grrr.

The Yamaha is killer but I’ve been through more than a dozen of them over the years. Mechanically they are built like tanks, but for some reason they just end up going bad for me over time. Careful taking them apart – that grease gets everywhere and it’s near impossible to get off of anything!

Just bought an ev-7 today and asked, my dealership said it's not discontinued. Lets hope... fantastic pedal btw

Mission pedals

I’ve been extremely happy with my Mission Engineering EP-25 PRO Aero pedals. Switched the polarity for one of the 2 jacks, for compatibility with my Yamaha keyboard. The throw isn’t as long as an FC7, but it’s smooth & accurate, and feels built to last (I’ve lost count of how many FC7’s I’ve purchased & broken over the years).

https://missionengineering.com/shop-2/products/expression/multi-use-exp/ep-25-pro-aero/?v=7516fd43adaa

Top Bottom