Suggestions for Bowed Cymbals Library

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by jfino, Jul 3, 2018.

1. jfino

jfino Senior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Hi Everyone,

I use bowed cymbals all the time when need some tension in a track and I've used the samples I have to death..so I'm recording brand new ones!

I'll be making it into a free kontakt library.

Wondering if you guys had any requests /suggestions for performances or interface features?

I want to make sure it's something useful to as many people as possible.

Tips on mic positions and technique is also very welcome!

Thanks!
    Jimmy

2. YaniDee

YaniDee Senior Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Montreal
    A pitch / time stretch control, and maybe a reverse function would be cool..Got your Djemko lib, thanks..great sound!

3. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    I use a couple on (I think) Apocalypse Drums that have "swell" control using cc1. That's very handy.

I think EW's StormDrum III has a good bunch of swelled / bowed cymbals too.

More is better, especially if you can use c1 or cc11 to "play" the sample.

nathantboler likes this.
  4. Niah2

Niah2 Senior Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Hello !

That's really fantastic, can't wait for it to hear something.

Besides the standard bowed cymbal technique there are some other techniques you can record.

Bowing cymbals with dry ice
    Bowing prepared cymbals with several objects (I like to use the top of a can from canned food)
    Bowing cymbals and dipping in water -
    Bowing a cymbal on a Timpani and messing with the timp pedal -
    Bowing a cymbal on a large bass drum -

I think all of these techniques have been sampled before however the more sounds the merrier.

5. OP
    OP
    jfino

jfino Senior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    @YaniDee Thanks for kind comments and thanks for the suggestions.

@JohnG I will definitely incorporate the live performance via modwheel idea. Might take a bit longer to sample as it would have to be recorded in separate dynamic layers but should be worth it!

@Niah2 Thanks for the links, I so happen to have a large bass drum so I will do some experiments!

Thanks again for the suggestions so far!

alanb and JohnG like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    jfino

jfino Senior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    I did a couple of recording tests today:

Tomorrow I'll try the cymbal on bass drum and anything else I can think of. (any more suggestions welcome! :)

Also ordered a bass bow, I hear I could get better harmonics.

Another thing I tested was the mod wheel to control the swell feature.
    The Kontakt AET filter seems to do a good job in blending through the dynamic layers but its using a lot of cpu. I will post these tests soon.

Might end up using fades like Apocalypse Drums did. Well see.. need more testing done.

jcrosby, Wally Garten and fretti like this.
  7. fretti

fretti Senior Member

Sounds really nice!:)
    Never used that kind of effect (?!) so I can't give any suggestions of what I'm missing, but this really makes me want to explore what I can do with that kind of sounds:thumbsup:

8. Wally Garten

Wally Garten Senior Member

Apr 23, 2018
    Cool! +1 for JohnG's suggestion of swells by modwheel.

9. GdT

GdT Senior Member

I seem to remember VSL Synchron percussion has different sizes and manufacturers cymbals.

10. OP
    OP
    jfino

jfino Senior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Hi Everyone!

Just a quick update.
    I've been working on this library any time I've had some free time.
    Almost done!

Couple more things to code and record.

In the mean time, this is the interface:)

[​IMG]

11. wwwm

wwwm Member

Aug 19, 2015
    If it's still relevant to what you're working on, I learned most of what I know about bowed cymbals from this article by composer Luigi Marino. I also have the reference audio clips if you're interested. I'd love to be able to group samples by his sound classifications and model bowing length.

12. jcrosby

jcrosby Senior Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Boston MA
    Wow this looks pretty awesome! If you're still fishing for ideas, being able to use the samples for sound design techniques, for example pich envelopes for risers and downers would be very cool in a library like this...

Basically with so many Kontakt libraries available, the more flexibility the more invaluable a library becomes... Looking forward to seeing where you take this! :)

13. OP
    OP
    jfino

jfino Senior Member

Jan 10, 2017
    @wwwm wow! thanks for the link great info!

@jcrosby Thanks! yes the library has pitch envelopes. Basically you can draw in the envelope shape and modulate using the mod wheel. Which makes it very useful for sound design.

Once I finish cutting and mapping my recordings I'll make a video explaining how everything works:)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    jcrosby likes this.
  14. jcrosby

jcrosby Senior Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Boston MA
    Excellent! Thanks so much for this. Looking forward to seeing video. Cheers!

jfino likes this.
  15. Xenox.AFL

Xenox.AFL Senior Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Germany
    Always great to see people using the same techniques as me! ;) Thumbs up, i like those sounds and nice that you share them with us...!!

Frank

16. AR

AR Senior Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Hey! Nice sounds. I also tried cymbal+bass drum. Other things I tried...cymbal with an banjo (open tuning that matched the note of the cymbal) and bowed 18" bodhran.