1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for a audio interface for a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'PC/Mac Builders, Mods, Peripherals - New' started by madfloyd, Dec 5, 2017.

1. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Your statement is just as subjective as your opinion, sorry.

Pixelee likes this.
  2. Montfort

Montfort New Member

Nov 24, 2017
    The Forte is what I use for everyday listening on my mid 2010 MBP and I'm very pleased with it. The sound is hi fidelity, and I agree that the A-D converters are excellent as well. When I use my MBP for live recording, I use a TC Electronic Konnect Studio 48 (older and Firewire, but very high functionality and quality).

3. ironbut

ironbut Senior Member

Jun 9, 2015
    eugene or
    I bought a used Metric Halo ULN-2 +dsp way back in 2009. I can't say that I have a ton of experience with other interfaces but I can say that a few friends have bought Metric Halo units after hearing mine.
    One very cool thing is that Metric Halo does their best to "future proof" their interfaces.
    The ULN-2 was their first interface and it was "upgraded" a few years back (5 yrs IIRC). Instead of making loyal customers buy a new unit, you could send yours in or do a "field upgrade" (diy) if you wanted to save the shipping and labor cost (It was about $330 for the upgrade). So, I bought the unit for $800 nine years ago plus the upgrade. Since then I did have to replace the wall wart after it got kinda smushed during a move.
    There is another "upgrade" on the horizon but I might buy a unit with more mic pre's (btw, the pre's are as good sounding as a Grace 801 I have a lot of experience with).
    Forgot to mention that the +dsp is a almost all of the plugins (around 100 I think) that Metric Halo makes plus building blocks so you can create your own in a graph (kind of like
    Reaktor graphs).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  4. Morning Coffee

Morning Coffee Senior Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Australia
    Maybe the Roland mobile UA could work for your needs. It is suppose to be a high quality D/A convertor made mainly for listening, and it is bus powered with 2 headphones outs, ultra compact. Have not seen many on the second hand market though.