What's new

Suggestions for a audio interface for a Macbook Pro?

madfloyd

My main DAW is a PC and I use a RME Fireface 400. I'm starting to travel more and have a Macbook Pro at my disposal. It's about 3 years old but has an i7 and 16gb of RAM and I'm thinking of using it as a portable DAW for composing.

But... I need some sort of audio interface for it (among other things like a small keyboard controller) and was wondering what others use for their portable DAWs.

Thanks in advance!

I was using a Steinberg UR22 with my MacBook Pro, but recently upgraded to an Apogee Element 24. Both a very good, but if you can afford it, check out the Element. The cool thing is, it incorporates right into Logic's channel strips. Are you using Logic?

Babyface Pro. Portable, comes with a hard case and is bus powered. Since you’re already familiar with Totalmix the upgrade would be painless.

I've had excellent experience with the Komplete Audio 6, it's not a high-end interface but the latency is surprisingly low and the drivers have been treating me very well

Apollo Twin is expensive. Hard to justify since I will just use this a short amount per year.

you should only go for the apollo if you want to use uad plugins. if you dont, there are better options and less expensive. audient id22 and tascam uh 7000 for example (same converters) sound better as an apollo. the audient 14 has a slight different sound than the id22 - not worse , just different. i had them all. and now my clarett is on the way since my audient id14 died (got an id22 aswell).

edit: you can get used focusrite forte pretty cheap sometimes at ebay. they use same converters as the clarett and sound better than an apogee duet 2. this would be an option aswell besides the audient id14.

Apollo Twin is expensive. Hard to justify since I will just use this a short amount per year.

If you want a good one for under $200, I highly recommend the Steinberg UR22 MKII. It works great with Cubase (obviously), has good pre-amps, solid construction, and zero latency monitoring.

If you want a good one for under $200, I highly recommend the Steinberg UR22 MKII. It works great with Cubase (obviously), has good pre-amps, solid construction, and zero latency monitoring.

The Amazon reviews for this product are scaring me away (most are 1 star) but otherwise it looked like a great deal!

Silly question: do I even need an audio interface to compose with VSTs on a Macbook Pro? I don't need microphone preamps for example.

+10, Audient is the best value for the money out there. Check out the user reviews that back that up.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iD14

Next step up Apollo Twin. As others have said though the main attraction there is access to UAD plugins although it is a fine interface.

id22 beats the apollo in terms of sound quality.

Silly question: do I even need an audio interface to compose with VSTs on a Macbook Pro? I don't need microphone preamps for example.

no, you dont need it but with an interface you get lower latency and also its not that heavy on a cpu. ofcourse the audio quality is alot better. if i were you i would go with an audient id14. dont judge that product bcos of amazon ratings. if you want to read about it go to gearslutz and hear some professional comments. i cant remember anyone talking bad about that piece of hardware. an oh, audient gives you eventide ultrareverb and ultrachannel for free if you register the product on their site. also some cubase le version and some LANDR mastering for free. just a bonus on top ;)

Last edited:

The DACs on Macbook Pros are excellent. I would go direct unless playing in parts with a MIDI controller (latency may improve). You might want to try comparing onboard sound to your current Fireface 400 (if it has a firewire port)?

Top Bottom